Waived: Freddie Hamilton + Tanner Glass

Sep 13, 2009
Our bottom 6 is old and slow and cannot compete with how fast today’s game is.

Quoted for truth. Today's game is all about speed and skill and youth; our bottom 6 is the opposite. To be fair to Brad Treliving however, most of our prospects in the farm didn't earn themselves a job in camp.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Quoted for truth. Today's game is all about speed and skill and youth; our bottom 6 is the opposite. To be fair to Brad Treliving however, most of our prospects in the farm didn't earn themselves a job in camp.

That’s true, most of our young guys blew it in camp. But Lazar, Hathaway and Hamilton/Mangiapagne could all be playing right now and I’d feel comfortable.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bump. Not really sure what's going on. Don't think Hamilton has actually been assigned so maybe they're keeping him and sending Glass down when Jagr comes back.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Jagr

That'd get me excited. Have to sit one of Brouwer, Versteeg or Bennett though...

2DlFut2.jpg

Reactions: Flameshomer

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Could it not have something to do with the Hamonic/Andersson situation rather than another callup?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Could it not have something to do with the Hamonic/Andersson situation rather than another callup?
Hamonic was placed on retro-active IR, which affords us an extra roster space for a call-up. Right now, with Jagr returning, our healthy scratch list will be Lazar, Andersson and Glass or Hamilton (one of which needs to be sent down when Jagr is back). If we send both Glass and Hamilton down, we are allowed another call-up. When Hamonic is ready to return, one of Andersson or the others will need to be sent down.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Hamonic was placed on retro-active IR, which affords us an extra roster space for a call-up. Right now, with Jagr returning, our healthy scratch list will be Lazar, Andersson and Glass or Hamilton (one of which needs to be sent down when Jagr is back). If we send both Glass and Hamilton down, we are allowed another call-up. When Hamonic is ready to return, one of Andersson or the others will need to be sent down.
Would assume Hathaway or Mangiapane then. Maybe Hrivik, Klimchuk, and Lomberg maybe have an outside shot?

I would assume they wouldn't waive Hamilton only to keep him up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Excellent.

They probably just decided to keep Hamilton up. Or want more flexibility with the decision.

But calling up Hathaway or Mangiapane is also overdue so I'm hoping it's that.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Lot of speculation by Rangers fans on twitter that they will claim Glass :laugh:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think they are waiving him for flexibility.

When they signed him I think they thought they were going to get a lot more (or at least something) out of the 3rd line so having a non-offense guy like Glass to add size and toughness would be a fine fit.

Now that they have got nothing out of the bottom 6 and spotty production from Backland/Frolik, I think they are looking at the potential need to bring in some offense.

The forward group is already a little bloated with 2 of Hamilton, Stajan, Lazar, Glass having to sit with everyone healthy so some roster flexibility is needed with Jagr getting healthy.

I think we will see Hamilton and Glass up/down for the next couple of weeks to get them games in the AHL while they figure out what the season long decision is with this roster.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hamilton is getting paid close to a million to be his brothers roommate. I actually feel bad for him, that would destroy your self-esteem. Well at least it would for me.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Mangiapane is just going to play with Brouwer/Versteeg/Stajan (which he would) just keep him down. I mean with the way GG plays the "4th" line, I guess he'd get a ton of ice-time though.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hamilton is getting paid close to a million to be his brothers roommate. I actually feel bad for him, that would destroy your self-esteem. Well at least it would for me.

Do people actually believe this crap?

Hamilton is the perfect extra forward. He can play all 3 forward positions, can kill penalties, it doesn't matter if he plays less than 20 games, can come in and provide some energy and physical play and is able to play after sitting for 2+ weeks.

The idea that the Flames are making roster decisions based on keeping their (at best) 3rd or 4th best player happy is ridiculous.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Do people actually believe this crap?

Hamilton is the perfect extra forward. He can play all 3 forward positions, can kill penalties, it doesn't matter if he plays less than 20 games, can come in and provide some energy and physical play and is able to play after sitting for 2+ weeks.

The idea that the Flames are making roster decisions based on keeping their (at best) 3rd or 4th best player happy is ridiculous.

I do believe it because it’s the truth. He was brought to the Flames largely because of his last name, not because he was filling a huge need other than some size. He’s not a bad hockey player, but he’s literally not done a single thing in almost 2 seasons to justify occupying a roster spot. I think it’s pretty clear why he wasn’t waived before now.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
What's the agreement? That Freddie will do the cooking and cleaning and let Dougie worry about the hockey?

I agree that it's pretty laughable that this is a narrative.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I do believe it because it’s the truth. He was brought to the Flames largely because of his last name, not because he was filling a huge need other than some size. He’s not a bad hockey player, but he’s literally not done a single thing in almost 2 seasons to justify occupying a roster spot. I think it’s pretty clear why he wasn’t waived before now.

Disagree. If you strip away Freddie's last name, I think he's still a guy we would have kept in comparison to some of the prospects/journeymen we released.

But because it's there, let's pretend the following:

Gulutzan vouched for Vey and Chiasson
Dougie vouched for Freddie

All 3 were acquired for negligible stuff:

- Vey was FA
- Freddie conditional 7th that didn't transfer
- Chiasson for Sieloff

Of the 3, I think you really do keep Freddie. Sometimes there are guys that get buried somewhere that do need a chance to be rescued from a franchise. The biggest example of this was Kipper, possibly Smith. But obviously there's far more duds in general.

There's plenty in the area of Shore/Knight, Jooris, Colborne, Agostino, Arnold etc. that honestly aren't worth keeping over Freddie, talent, fit and chemistry wise. Freddie does have a weird intangible that causes Dougie to be inspired to play better. Freddie has the other side of the coin where he is inspired to play better so he can play with his bro. IMO Freddie is actually worth keeping and is better than some of the other less talented bros we have acquired in the past.

I think the narrative where Freddie was acquired ONLY because he's Dougie's bro is not true. Freddie was a player who was buried somewhere in Colorado. Dougie asked if somehow Freddie could be freed from there. Treliving looked at the idea, realized it couldn't be worse than a Shore/Knight swap or Vey signing etc. and had similar talent and upside. It definitely didn't hurt that the price was pretty much free plus buys good will with a star player. Freddie was an asset worth acquiring based on needs of the team (RHS, RW). The Dougie connection helped, but it's not the only reason he was acquired.

But also consider Freddie is also at a weird age. He's somewhat a vet, but also technically a prospect. He's somewhere between a TSpoon disappointment and a Bartkowski blocking a farmhand making it up here. That's another reason why posters are complaining. In all seriousness, IMO Freddie being up is based on his "veteran age". I am guessing, the team would rather have Freddie munch popcorn as an alright option for the 13th/14th forward because they'd rather the kids develop rather than munch popcorn.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t care that we acquired Freddie, if it makes Dougie more happy and feel more at home, great. I don’t even think he’s a terrible hockey player, I’d rather play him at C over Stajan right now. But my point is, I have a hard time believing any other player that didn’t have his last name would have stayed on the big teams roster for as long as he did just to watch games from the press box. Treliving recently had a meeting with Freddie AND Dougie just last week explaining the situation to the both of them that Freddie was getting waived. The Flames are clearly concerned with Dougies feelings on the matter because they met with the 2 brothers, but I suppose I’m just grasping at straws adding to this narrative.

If I were the GM, I’d probably would have tried to find a way to play Freddie on the 4th line as I prefer him to Versteeg and Stajan. I think it’s embarrassing for the player to be sitting for as long as he has and barely getting a chance to play.

And I do think people are fooling themselves if they think the Flames would have still traded for Freddie if he wasn’t Dougies bother. They clearly got him to make Dougie feel more at ease in a new environment. I believe the team owes it to the player to do the right thing and treat him like anyone else if they aren’t going to play him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad