Waived: Freddie Hamilton + Tanner Glass

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good stuff.
I liked Freddie last year, but this year he’s done nothing to earn his spot.

Now to figure out what to do with the deadweight that is the 4th line. Next step is a Stajan benching.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Not surprising. Would have preferred Glass though, Freddie is fine as the 13th forward.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Finally. Freddie was a solid spare forward but Jankowski needs to stay up if he's ever going to figure things out offensively at this level.

Obviously Glass would have been the better choice (ideally he'd never have been signed at all) but that was never realistic.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They didn't send down Janko?

giphy.gif

Eric Francis was confidently wrong yet again?

giphy.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hamilton > Brouwer/Lazar/Glass
2nd Round Pick (Lazar) > 7th Round Pick (Hamilton)
13.5 Million Dollars (Brouwer) > 0.612 Million (Hamilton)
Face Punching (Glass) > Playing Hockey (Hamilton)... I guess

It is what it is, but it's clear there are three guys who are sitting too comfortably in undeserved spots at present. Mangiapane... Hrivik.. Hamilton... Foo... Poirier... Klimchuk.... this certainly isn't the most complete possible form of our forward group (and Bartkowski needs to be waived too but that's a different story). I hope it's a different story come March as we enter the stretch run.

Reactions: RedHot

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Jankowski has certainly made his Mark.

You forgot to:
200.webp

It is what it is, but it's clear there are three guys who are sitting too comfortably in undeserved spots at present. Mangiapane... Hrivik.. Hamilton... Foo... Poirier... Klimchuk.... this certainly isn't the most complete possible form of our forward group (and Bartkowski needs to be waived too but that's a different story). I hope it's a different story come March as we enter the stretch run.

OKG, while that's possible, Freddie is always sitting. I'm guessing Freddie needs some games somewhere to develop. I honestly think that Dougie and Freddie playing on an NHL is not a dream they are giving up on. Freddie needs to go to Stockton and kill it and come back ready to inherit the 4C role. He's been munching too much popcorn.

I'd personally love to try and swing some type of Bartkowski+ for Oleksiak trade. I'm ok with Oleksiak as a project as well as ok with Oleksiak munching popcorn. This should free Kulak and Oleksiak joins us where he is reunited with Dougie and perhaps one day, Freddie. Barts should be easily waived by Dallas and isn't a bad option to have on hand (I'm aware they want to make room for their prospects by moving Oleksiak.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
OKG as excited as I am by Mangiapane, Foo and the rest I'm still not sure they are quite ready. Mangiapane still needs to bulk up a little bit to play his game as effectively is my opinion after watching him in pre-season.

Not that I've been particularly happy with any of the names you are discussing either for what it's worth. I defended the Lazar trade as not great but could work out, and while it's early I'm definitely feeling less confident in that regard.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
OKG as excited as I am by Mangiapane, Foo and the rest I'm still not sure they are quite ready. Mangiapane still needs to bulk up a little bit to play his game as effectively is my opinion after watching him in pre-season.

Not that I've been particularly happy with any of the names you are discussing either for what it's worth. I defended the Lazar trade as not great but could work out, and while it's early I'm definitely feeling less confident in that regard.

IMO Lazar is fine, but we don't have the resources to shield him appropriately. He is IMO a mirror of Bennett, struggling slightly due to the quality and lack of chemistry with his team mates. Add on a tight grip to the stick, and it's a chore to watch. Hopefully both guys gets some puck luck that kick starts some swagger in their game.

Foo is an odd name to add. He is not ready. I swear that guy fell as much as Mason Raymond while playing in Flames silks. No idea why. I think it might be a core strength issue, but I definitely thought it odd he had issues keeping his balance.

Mangiapane is ok. Personally, I liked Lomberg more, but Mangiapane definitely has a higher ceiling than Lomberg IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Nice to see Treliving finally grew a pair. Having Freddie up simply to be his brothers roommate had to have been rubbing some the wrong way. This was long overdue. I hate to say this, but Stajan needs to be next.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Nice to see Treliving finally grew a pair. Having Freddie up simply to be his brothers roommate had to have been rubbing some the wrong way. This was long overdue. I hate to say this, but Stajan needs to be next.

Maybe I'm out to lunch, but out of Stajan, Hamilton, Glass, Bennett, Brouwer, Versteeg and Lazar, Stajan certainly isn't the guy I'm most unhappy with.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I get why people want change in the bottom 6, I really do. We need more than 9 points (5 ES) from the 7 guys who make up our bottom two lines on a regular basis.

But putting that frustration onto two guys who have been in and out of the lineup all year (Stajan and Lazar) as is happening to some extent in this thread is very misinformed. The bulk of scoring in the bottom 6 should coming from the 3rd line. Look at those guys for answers to this issue. Sure Stajan and Glass are sitting pointless, but so is Bennett. 2/3 of our 4th line is out producing the guy that should be our best player on our 3rd line.

All that said, I'm sure Jankowski will produce as he gets adjusted and Jagr will certainly add some production to the 3rd line, and that should get Bennett going to. There's no doubt in my mind that our best possible lineup we can ice right now consist of the 14 forwards that we have on our roster (Glass could easily be replaced with an AHL'er, but it's better to have him in the pressbox than one of them anyways).

Once Gulutzan figures out (big if) that Lazar is much better than Glass:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Jagr
Versteeg - Stajan - Lazar

Is a damn good lineup. You could make some changes in a few spots, but those 12 forwards are the best combination to have at this point.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Finally. As useless as Glass has been, at least he doesn't take a stupid penalty every game he played like Hamilton did. Freddie Hamilton was up way too long, Glass (who I despise) is a better 13th forward than Hamilton is. Glass doesn't take stupid penalties every game, Hamilton did. Easy decision.

If Mangiapane can keep it up past December, bring him up and move Versteeg down. Also, Lazar, he sucks too.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
This pretty much means Glass will stay the whole year. I don't even care, I don't have any motivation anymore.

Fortunately, Lazar will probably be the player he'll compete the most for a spot? So it's not like the flames' level of play will drop dramatically when he's on the ice compared to when he's not... whatever

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Stajan is a great person and a well liked teammate, I don’t blame him for any of our seasons struggles. But I think it’s pretty clear he’s on his last legs. Treliving’s job is to give the coach the best possible roster he can to work with, Stajan and Glass should not be on the team. I’m fine with Glass sitting in the press box, but I’d rather roll with a combination of guys that are younger and can provide some more speed in the bottom 6 and provide more of a spark than the Corn Flakes were are getting.

I actually haven’t minded Brouwer this season and he’s found a role killing penalties. And yes I know Stajan does that too but I’d rather see all of Backlund, Bennett, Monahan and Janko on the PK over Stajan. It’s a tough decision but the NHL is a business based on winning and for me, it’s clear what needs to be done next. I’d immediately offer him a position with the club in some capacity because I think it’s important he sticks around. But as a player, I think his time is done.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I've liked what Stajan has brought at even strength, for the most part (i don't really pay attention to his work on the PK). And with the team having playoff aspirations, depth guys like him are invaluable as there will be injuries that we'll have to deal with. Plus he's easily better than Lazar at C and any of our Stockton options. I do agree that I don't think he has the legs for an 82 game season anymore, and will have be to up in the pressbox periodically.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I honestly prefer both Hamilton (for his size) and Lazar (for his energy) over Stajan. I’m not hating on Stajan at all, but if you’re being serious about playing the best players and contracts aren’t a consideration (and they shouldn’t be), I have a hard time slotting him in the lineup. To be frank, I’m more done with Versteeg. I’d rather keep Stajan in the lineup over Versteeg and send him packing as well.

The Flames have Gio, Brodie, Hamonic, Backlund, Frolik, Brouwer, heck even Monahan is a vet now. They have lots of leadership. Our bottom 6 is old and slow and cannot compete with how fast today’s game is.

Sending Hamilton down to keep Janko up is a step in the right direction. But Lazar, Hathaway, Foo, Hrivik, Mangiapagne and yes Hamilton can all provide similar intangibles with more speed.

I’d actually be fine with the Flames keeping Glass and Stajan in the press box and rolling with Mangiapagne, Lazar and Hathaway as our 4th line.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I find it kind of funny that when I finally start to see a bit of positives to his game, he gets waived.

Glad to see Jankowski remain with the Flames. Time to try Lazar out as the 4th line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad