Waived: Freddie Hamilton on waivers pt.2: CLAIMED BY ARIZONA

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's all ironic though since he only has a job because of who his mother is.

Do we have any members here that aren't blocked by him that could tweet that to him? :laugh:

I wish Freddie the best and hope he does well. The thing that disappoints me most about him leaving as both Hamilton brothers spend a lot of time with a friend of a friend's daughter who has cancer. No doubt she's heartbroken right now because she thinks the world of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Method Man

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Ya he was. He never played because he was never good enough to challenge for a spot. Bring someone up that will fight for a spot.
No, he wasn’t. He never played because he was 13th forward, who plays well when he draws in.

The fact is, his presence never prevented Jankowski from being called up when there was the opportunity to play him in the correct spot in the lineup. The same with Hathaway and Mangiapane. It’s not like he was the guy who filled in when there were key/long term injuries.

Finally, if you think “bringing up someone who can compete for a spot” (even though Hamilton is an NHL player) constitutes sitting a player who still has potential in the press box, I don’t know what to tell you besides this conversation is over, because that is a horrible idea.

Reactions: Method Man

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We acquired Freddie for nothing, not even a waiver fee. He played a bunch of NHL games reasonably well. It was a good acquisition. He won't be proving the Flames "wrong". He just needs opportunities to play which we cannot offer him. I wish him the best and it would be cool to see him don the same silks as his bro again in a few years time.

Treliving has been pretty darn good getting something from nothing. I think Poulin and McCollum are the same.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We acquired Freddie for nothing, not even a waiver fee. He played a bunch of NHL games reasonably well. It was a good acquisition. He won't be proving the Flames "wrong". He just needs opportunities to play which we cannot offer him. I wish him the best and it would be cool to see him don the same silks as his bro again in a few years time.

Treliving has been pretty darn good getting something from nothing. I think Poulin and McCollum are the same.
If he proves that he is an everyday NHL guy and yes, then he does prove the Flames wrong because he was never given that opportunity with Calgary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do we have any members here that aren't blocked by him that could tweet that to him? :laugh:

I wish Freddie the best and hope he does well. The thing that disappoints me most about him leaving as both Hamilton brothers spend a lot of time with a friend of a friend's daughter who has cancer. No doubt she's heartbroken right now because she thinks the world of them.
I feel like I should make another account for just this purpose

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If he proves that he is an everyday NHL guy and yes, then he does prove the Flames wrong because he was never given that opportunity with Calgary.

Err... perhaps? That's like Schlemko proving us wrong, no? But reality wise, Freddie was buried and Schlemko was also buried. We took a chance on both guys vs allowing them to toil in the minors and gave them opportunity to showcase in the NHL. We ultimately ran out of room for them without a legitimate reason to make room for them, but I feel like it's closer to us doing them a solid than them being run out of town and having to prove we made the mistake IMO.

Jeebus, Schlemko was a Yote off waivers. We really will go Flamix Calyotes at this rate! Ownership looking to be a budget team? (Scary thought)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Err... perhaps? That's like Schlemko proving us wrong, no? But reality wise, Freddie was buried and Schlemko was also buried. We took a chance on both guys vs allowing them to toil in the minors and gave them opportunity to showcase in the NHL. We ultimately ran out of room for them without a legitimate reason to make room for them, but I feel like it's closer to us doing them a solid than them being run out of town and having to prove we made the mistake IMO.

Jeebus, Schlemko was a Yote off waivers. We really will go Flamix Calyotes at this rate! Ownership looking to be a budget team? (Scary thought)
When was Schlemko buried? He was an everyday player that was claimed off waivers and then wasn't re-signed.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
When was Schlemko buried? He was an everyday player that was claimed off waivers and then wasn't re-signed.

I meant in the sense there was no room for him. IIRC we acquired him as an injury replacement for Smid or Diaz or something. Buried might be the wrong terminology.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Being fair to Francis, who is a jabroni of the first order without question, it was ridiculous having Freddie Hamilton on this team. I mentioned it at the start of the year, he didn't win a spot at camp; it was gifted to him for having the same last name as one of our best core pieces. Hell, even a jobber like Tanner Glass outplayed him, but found himself in Stockton way before Freddie was even waived the first time.

Francis' article isn't actually that bad even, and makes a correct point about giving Freddie a chance to prolong his career. Unless it was with Calgary, Freddie Hamilton doesn't have the billing to get another one way deal in the NHL. May as well see if he can get some life out of a Yotes team that really sucks; giving him the chance to play more than a half dozen games a year.

I know he's an idiot, but why harass the guy on social media? The guy wants the attention. Weren't some of you guys blocked already? are we making secondary accounts just to troll people?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would have thought it was ridiculous having Familton on the team if not for the fact that when he did draw into the lineup, he performed his role well. There's really nothing wrong with having a guy like that as your popcorn-eater. It doesn't make sense to have a young guy still developing wasting away up there, nor does it make sense to rotate guys in and out of the lineup constantly and not allow them to develop a rhythm.

Francis has a real penchant for running guys out of town once it becomes clear they aren't going to be part of the Flames anymore. I wonder if it's because he sees his audience as being fans that would complain about losing guys no matter who they are, and he's just trying to prevent people from panicking when they see the Flames lose a guy for nothing and make it all a positive thing. But the fact remains that he needs to take shots at guys all the time.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Freddie Hamilton has played double digit games for Colorado and SJ before coming here and was just claimed on waivers by the Coyotes. That's 3 other organizations that have thought at some point he was good enough to play for them st the NHL level how is it ridiculous that he was up here filling in for short term injuries?

And we still have nobody able to explain how him sitting in the PB stopped a single guy from coming up. It was 100% GG refusing to sit Stajan, Brouwer, Glass, Jagr.those are the guys blocking kids from the minors unless you wanted Jankowski up to sit in the PB.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Dougie didn’t do anything wrong. What is he gonna say? It sucks, my friend is gone, you guys in the media trolled him, I wish him well, the Flames made a mistake. Saying no comment was the best thing he could have said. It showed he’s upset about his brother leaving and that’s exactly how he feels. There’s no news here.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
But they did.

Hathaway came up and Hamilton did nothing at all to prevent him from playing, Jankowski came up and wasn't once held back from playing because of Hamilton.

As mentioned in the game thread Hamilton has spent the vast majority of this season sitting in the PB. Are you really complaining that guys like Mangiapane, Hrvik, Hathaway etc. should have been up here taking his spot in the PB?

Those guys were being held back because of players like Glass, Stajan, Brouwer, Versteeg and Jagr. Those are the guys playing. Those are the guys taking up spots and not playing well at all.

You are proving my point. They kept bringing in others and Hamilton kept sitting, wasting cap space and a roster spot. The Flames need players there that are hungry and fighting to get in, forcing the guys playing to keep going hard or risk losing their spot. Hamilton was a passenger and this team cant afford those. He was a waste of capspace and a roster spot. The team would have been better off having one less player on their roster then him wasting space in the pressbox.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You are proving my point. They kept bringing in others and Hamilton kept sitting, wasting cap space and a roster spot. The Flames need players there that are hungry and fighting to get in, forcing the guys playing to keep going hard or risk losing their spot. Hamilton was a passenger and this team cant afford those. He was a waste of capspace and a roster spot. The team would have been better off having one less player on their roster then him wasting space in the pressbox.
What don't you understand about the point? Someone needs to sit, better Hamilton than a prospect that could be playing bigger minutes in Stockton. It's really simple. Also how can a guy be a waste of cap space when he literally has a cap hit under the league minimum? Anyone else on the roster in the pressbox would be making more by default. Calling Freddie a passenger just proves to me you never actually paid any attention to him when he did get the opportunity to play.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I wouldn't have minded seeing more of Familton than we did and I doubt dumping him and calling up Hrivik is the move that puts the Flames over the top.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You are proving my point. They kept bringing in others and Hamilton kept sitting, wasting cap space and a roster spot.

The Flames are not up against it in either regard, so there is no concept of "wasting" one roster spot or $612K of cap space (and if you factor in the money being paid to his replacement, there is basically no saving of money). These points are irrelevant.

The Flames need players there that are hungry and fighting to get in, forcing the guys playing to keep going hard or risk losing their spot.

And you have evidence that Freddie Hamilton wasn't?

The team would have been better off having one less player on their roster then him wasting space in the pressbox.

No idea what you're trying to say with this. How?

The ideal scenario, to me, isn't one where we scratch a different guy every night. Ideally your 12 dressed forwards are your 12 best forwards, and the two in the press box are the worst two. Right now, we have a real toss-up between Stajan and Lazar on the fourth line, as Stajan is the smarter player but Lazar is the more physically capable right now. It's not clear-cut. Hamilton was always the 14th best forward with the big club, and that's okay. A much worse fate is having your 14th-best forward be a young guy, such that you either are never playing him and not letting him develop, or you are playing and in the process actively making your roster worse.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Familton must have one amazing CF% to be claimed by the analytic god Chayka.

42.21% SVA CF%
-8.15% CF% Rel

He's been a substandard. Much like our 4th line this entire season.

Just FYI; Andrew Mangiapane:
64.69% SVA CF%
11.60% CF% Rel

To put that into context, Stajan's had a 11-3 shot advantage with Mangi on the ice with him. Lazar is even better, where his CF% jumps almost 13% with than without Mangi; this is compared it going down 18% with Freddie.

Turns out, we just had better players in Stockton.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
42.21% SVA CF%
-8.15% CF% Rel

He's been a substandard. Much like our 4th line this entire season.

Just FYI; Andrew Mangiapane:
64.69% SVA CF%
11.60% CF% Rel

To put that into context, Stajan's had a 11-3 shot advantage with Mangi on the ice with him. Lazar is even better, where his CF% jumps almost 13% with than without Mangi; this is compared it going down 18% with Freddie.

Turns out, we just had better players in Stockton.

Admittedly, small sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->