Player Discussion Frank Vatrano

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Feel free to merge this thread if I am wrong but I am not seeing a player discussion on him? Dude has been a spark plug for this team, he compliments our high end players perfectly and he might finally give us a semi competent second line PP. He feels like a steal considering the price. Idk what advanced stats say but from what I’ve seen his two way game is good as well, its not just about his shot. Thoughts?

Reactions: McSauer

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
What he’s been bringing to the team has been really great to see, but I get a sense of dread that management is going to make a big contract mistake with him this summer and pay for he positives without having experienced any of the negatives.
I’ve seen a lot of the games he’s been involved in since we brought him in. In early 2018 Boston traded him to Florida after he’d had a less-than-stellar season with dips in key stats. What do you see as the negatives this time around for us?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
What he’s been bringing to the team has been really great to see, but I get a sense of dread that management is going to make a big contract mistake with him this summer and pay for he positives without having experienced any of the negatives.
One Ryan Spooner special coming right up

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
We can barely afford to keep one of Strome/Copp/Vatrano and I don't see Frankie being the one despite his great performance so far.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Drury and his team did a fantastic job identifying low key alternatives to top end needs. They need to do this every year. There's just not enough cap room to sogn everyone we want, and they have to keep an eye on second contracts of Laf, Kakko, Miller, Schneider, etc. They need to find guys looking for one year "show me" deals in the off season who are looking to showcase themselves into better deals after a great year. Cheap deals where the player outperforms the dollar amount are what makes this chess, not checkers.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah would love to keep, he'd be a very nice third line player but just not financially possible.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Staple suggest 2 years @ $3M per. If we could make it work, it'd be worth it. We could also get some value back if/when we trade him.

Somewhere in between a Spooner and Brassard return would be nice :sarcasm:

OTGHockey

Mar 25, 2022
outsidethegarden.com
The things I like about Vatrano are his speed, his "shoot-first" mentality and his scoring ability. I'm not as excited about his defense, and he's mostly an even strength guy who is a bit undersized...with some time on an underutilized second PP unit.

I do think he's more of a scorer than his stats suggest, he was pushed down the line-up in Florida, and we've had some shortened seasons, but I do think he's probably capable of a 30 goal season. At 28, he should in theory be at his prime, and perhaps a couple more years of similar productivity at least.

If they were to re-sign him at or around the $3M range, then I think that's a tradeable contract, and given that they can't afford both Strome and Copp, there's going to be still room for Kakko or Lafreniere (if he can make the right win work) both to be in the top six. On the other hand, if they want to trade him at a later date, that contract should have some value to someone.

On the other hand, if he has a big playoffs...then that might make things more interesting.

As it stands now, I'd probably lean towards resigning him...but it will depend on the Cap situation and what other deals are being made. I'd probably look at how much it's going to take to re-sign Kakko, then Copp...and then Vatrano. Also have to keep in mind that the end of next season there'll be new contracts for Lafreniere and Miller to consider, so there's a lot to evaluate there.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Had a huge hand in goals 3, 4 and 5. Watch the pass he makes the Panarin on the 3rd goal. Watch the shot he gets off all the way from the blueline (not easy to accept that pass and get off the shot from that distance).
Hard to believe this guy was undrafted.
I know we won't be able to resign him but I am really enjoying watching this guy play. He really fits in nicely.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Copp, Vatrano, and Motte are excellent hockey players. They are not superstars or stars. But they play hard-nosed 200ft. hockey and, in the case of Copp and Vatrano, love to score goals. Very good pro scouting by Drury et al.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Hes gonna be interesting this off season. I know some rip on him but hes a good player. Fast, good shot, plays with some grit.

What do you guys think he fetches? 4 years 12 mill?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I like Frankie V but unless he comes in relatively cheap I think you let him go. He did a fine job playing on the top line which he's not exactly suited for.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Hes gonna be interesting this off season. I know some rip on him but hes a good player. Fast, good shot, plays with some grit.

What do you guys think he fetches? 4 years 12 mill?

I like what he brings...but it will come down to $. We really don't have much of it.

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad