56. Martin Fehervary
57. Nikita Rtischev
58. Luke Henman
59. Brendan Budy
60. Jack Drury
61. Adam Ginning
62. Jan Jenik

Notes:
-I see Dobson having the upside of someone like Alex Pietrangelo, and think he is the clear second best defencman in the draft.
-With Bokk I think he has unique abilities that give him some of the drafts most potential. I'm also taking into account the fact that this is his first year in a really strong developmental country. I don't see why so many give Boqvist the benefit of the doubt with his pro stats because of his tools while not applying the same logic to Bokk.
-Tychonick looks so smooth and in control on the ice, has some dynamic tools too. Next year I think he will be a real candidate for the WJC team.
-Cam Hillis hasn't gotten much love yet but I think he has some of the most potential to rise in this draft. First year in the OHL and already producing at a solid rate, without much help offensively. Also a guy that has grown a lot since midget.
-Ruslan Iskhakov has one of the highest skill levels I have seen. He does some things with the puck that are unbelievable and has impressed everywhere he has gone. Is absolutely tiny but I think his talent level might be high enough to make up for it.
-Very strong draft for Junior A and USHL
-Waiting to see more on how Khovanov and Wise come back from injury before including them. Wouldn't be surprised if both end up first round.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I like the Iskhakov ranking, completely forgot about him in my own. I had Olofsson+Tychonick right around where you did as well. I don't agree with a lot but it's interesting to see other people's own opinions instead of going by consensus, no one really knows how these guys will end up anyway

Reactions: 99664987

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
I like the Iskhakov ranking, completely forgot about him in my own. I had Olofsson+Tychonick right around where you did as well. I don't agree with a lot but it's interesting to see other people's own opinions instead of going by consensus, no one really knows how these guys will end up anyway
Ya I don't know if Iskhakov will rise but thats about where I would value him, guy has some sick hands. Yes, people on here struggle to understand that 2 people can watch the same player and have different opinions that are both valid.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Anyone able to give any more information about these prospects:

Other than what OP has posted

4. Noah Dobson
6. Dominik Bokk
10. Jacob Olofsson
12. Joel Farabee

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Olofsson at 10? Ahead of Hughes?

giphy.gif

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Olofsson at 10? Ahead of Hughes?

giphy.gif
A lot of the questions people ask about Merkleys offensive game translating aren't asked about Hughes. Admittedly I had him higher before an awful World Js. Olofsson is one of the top players on a pro team and has an amazing shot. I think he's a guy who's likely a 2nd line centre with potential to be more.

Reactions: 99664987

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Very interesting list and a great glimpse into the wild variations that can occur from the eyes of one person to the next.

To see a guy like McIssac as far down as #49, McBain at 48, Wilde and Smith barely first rounders. These are guys that on consensus lists are pretty much all in the Top ~15 or so. And on the flip side, to see Dobson at 4, Bokk at 6, Veleno still in your Top 10. Dobson in particular has been a steady riser all year on consensus lists, but all the way up at 4 is the highest I've seen him yet.

Very interesting to see, well done sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankGallagher

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Very interesting list and a great glimpse into the wild variations that can occur from the eyes of one person to the next.

To see a guy like McIssac as far down as #49, McBain at 48, Wilde and Smith barely first rounders. These are guys that on consensus lists are pretty muc hall in the Top ~15 or so. And on the flip side, to see Dobson at 4, Bokk at 6, Veleno still in your Top 10. Dobson in particular has been a steady riser all year on consensus lists, but all the way up at 4 is the highest I've seen him yet.

Very interesting to see, well done sir.
Thanks appreciate it!

For McIsaac I really question his IQ with the puck and if he'll ever have the offensive ability to be a good NHL player. I have never seen him where I thought he looked like a standout in any area.

I think McBain just really doesn't look like anything more than a project second rounder whenever I've watched him. He really looks like he has a long way to go with his skating and his production isn't what it should be for a first rounder playing in the OJHL.

With Wilde I think he has all the tools in the world I just don't know if he's a smart enough player to ever put them together. Kind of reminds me of Jake Gardiner in a way as he's pretty good on the whole but makes a couple plays a game where he looks absolutely braindead.

Smith I see pretty limited upside with, reminds me of Thomas Hickey. He's very smart though and I do expect him to carve out a long career, just not sure how high end he'll top out.

With Bokk and Dobson I have kind of touched on why I have them where they are. Have tools that I can see translating to being high end NHLers.

Every time I have watched Veleno he has stood out, can make smart plays at high speeds and even shows some creativity. I think his numbers are going to go up as the season closes out and he will cement himself back in the top 10

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
What are your thoughts on Austin Wong?
Saw him in the CJHL prospects game where he really flashed. Absolutely blew up a player on the other team in an allstar type game. He also showed a pretty decent skill level too and is very strong on his skates. 11th round WHL pick too who seems to be on a real upward trajectory

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
A lot of the questions people ask about Merkleys offensive game translating aren't asked about Hughes. Admittedly I had him higher before an awful World Js. Olofsson is one of the top players on a pro team and has an amazing shot. I think he's a guy who's likely a 2nd line centre with potential to be more.

You watch a lot of Timrå games?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I like Bokk, Olofsson, Dobson a lot more than others as well but you've probably pushed certain guys a bit too far down the list for me......but good effort. I'd have a couple of other sleeper types I'd rank higher on my list as well.

This is the type of variation we should expect come draft time with most lists IMO.

Agreed on Boqvist- I need to see him more before I put him as a consensus top 5.

I'm not high on Hughes at all...Wilde is far too low for me.

Svechnikov should be a consensus #2 on most boards right now by my estimations. The fact you have him there makes me pay attention.

I could see a scenario where all of Mcleod, McBain, McIssac drop, but I think Woo would stabilize, and the likelihood of all 4 dropping to that degree is extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankGallagher

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
You watch a lot of Timrå games?
Have seen him at u17s, u18s, Hlinka, and World Junior camp which is enough to have a good feel on him. Extrapolating based off stats and what others have said that he's playing well in Sweden which is believable because I know he has the talent to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad