Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Certainly it's premature to have talked salary with any candidate to this point.

Exactly. Maybe they are just making assumptions based on the fact that the current list of guys on the "list" would be 1st time GMs vs. trying to hire a guy that has already been a GM or a more well known name, although not sure how many of those types are even truly available.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
What's absurd is dismissing everything that might paint Dundon in a negative light on the belief that it's because he's "disrupted the old boy's club."

cmon_man_1.gif

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I get the media making premature warnings about Dundon being hands on but this is just weird. I don't really follow the media enough to know whether this could just be pulled out of their asses. If this was some kind of rumor conspiracy against Dundon wouldn't it instead make sense to say there is a sense people won't like working under his system? On the other hand, it makes no sense why salary would have been discussed (apparently Dundon only just got back from vacation) or why he would be lowballing. He doesn't seem cheap or cash strapped.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I get the media making premature warnings about Dundon being hands on but this is just weird. I don't really follow the media enough to know whether this could just be pulled out of their asses. If this was some kind of rumor conspiracy against Dundon wouldn't it instead make sense to say there is a sense people won't like working under his system? On the other hand, it makes no sense why salary would have been discussed (apparently Dundon only just got back from vacation) or why he would be lowballing. He doesn't seem cheap or cash strapped.
It could just be journalists trying to connect the dots, i.e., the only names are AGM's thus he's not interested in overpaying. Then add in some speculation that as a non-hockey guy, he sees two AGM's and two ex-GM's on his payroll and he's thinking...yeah...we got that pretty much covered. And voila a rumor is born. Though your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Everything Dundon's had his hands on has been pretty successful (understatement). I wouldn't worry about him plugging in a figurehead as a GM - successful executives get and stay there by hiring and trusting people that have more expertise than them.

My guess is he is looking for a GM that will buy into his plan of trusting the scouts and other support staff rather than someone who want to put it all on themselves.

He clearly wants to win and until he shows me otherwise I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's smart enough to know his own limitations and once he gets his business plan in place he won't be too meddlesome (I think).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well Charles Wang did something similar with the Islanders way back. He wanted a “committee” approach to everything. He hired some big names, and when Wang tried to make it all work his way it quickly fell apart. I don’t remember the names but it was like within a month or two when someone quit. It was a colossal failure as a concept, everyone having input on everyone else and gm was an area that was being encroached. Maybe someone else remembers the details better. Was it Neil Smith? Was Nolan the coach?

Ps..Quick research shows Smith was fired and Lafontaine quit the same day because of it. That’s how Garth Snow became gm. He was playing for the team, then immediately retired to become the GM. It was a clown show.

If it’s like that no one will touch it with a ten foot pole, and with any resemblance to that the hockey media will be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well Charles Wang did something similar with the Islanders way back. He wanted a “committee” approach to everything. He hired some big names, and when Wang tried to make it all work his way it quickly fell apart. I don’t remember the names but it was like within a month or two when someone quit. It was a colossal failure as a concept, everyone having input on everyone else and gm was an area that was being encroached. Maybe someone else remembers the details better. Was it Neil Smith? Was Nolan the coach?

If it’s like that no one will touch it with a ten foot pole, and with any resemblance to that the hockey media will be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.
Neil Smith, and yes IIRC Nolan was the coach. Good memory.

Crazy enough Lavi didn't last too long under that group either.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
We all know these "good ole boys club" members would be the first ones to lampoon Francis if he was running one of the Canadian teams for his patience and lack of action at the deadline. Don't take their comments seriously.

Lets be honest here, most of them are probably pissed off for two reasons....

1. The Hurricanes are not relocating to Quebec despite everyone and their cable guy saying they would. So they are already pissed off at Dundon for that, hell some of them are convinced that the team is moving to Houston because "Dundon is from Dallas it makes sense!".

2. They know deep down that the Hurricanes are on the verge of becoming a threat if the right guy gets the job.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC

Ps..Quick research shows Smith was fired and Lafontaine quit the same day because of it. That’s how Garth Snow became gm. He was playing for the team, then immediately retired to become the GM. It was a clown show.

Not to draw simplistic parallels with TD but Wang was definitely not a hockey guy, basketball was his sport. He "settled" for the Islanders because no NBA was available at the time he got the itch to own a sports franchise. I can say from first-hand experience that he was a super hands-on, impulsive and meddlesome boss.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
So TD may not want to hire someone for 2-4 million a year while still paying Francis his full salary for another year. It’s basically adding a decent player salary to the bill.

Unless Francis wants out and wants to sign on with someone else?

"Hello, Ronnie, it's the Penquins calling"

This summer, he moves to the 'Burgh

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Dundon just ponied up hundreds of millions of dollars to be the majority of the owner of the Hurricanes, if he can't afford to extra salary going towards management for a year or two, we're in much more trouble than previously thought. I don't think even Eugene Melnyk is that cheap.

"Hello, Ronnie, it's the Penquins calling"

This summer, he moves to the 'Burgh
Francis becomes GM in a few years, and a few years after that Malkin and Crosby retire. The Penguins roster looks so bad even their 2003-2004 roster looks like a dynasty in comparison. Francis', a true JR protege through and through, thoughts? "We like our group."

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Because they’re cheaper than an expansion team, and poised to improve a bit with barely any money thrown in. Mostly because they’re cheaper than an expansion team.

He wants to do well quickly but there’s no knowing how much money he’s really ready to throw at it.

And paying two gm’s for one to gm may not have been a cost he was expecting early on.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I buy that perhaps Dundon thinks his new idea of a GM only deserves a certain amount of money. It may not be true, but I see it as realistic. I personally don't buy that he wouldn't pony up because he's paying Francis. I see that as much less realistic. Might be true, but I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad