Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Probably has to say it, because I assume LA media is asking him daily about it. "Hey, you gonna take that Canes GM job if offered!?" "Hey, will you leave LA before playoffs if Canes offer Job?" "Hey, what if...", etc...

In the end, there are no optics that don't end with the Canes looking like an unwanted pile of trash.

Yeah, I don't hold this against him at all. It was a way of ending speculation and not putting the reason for his decision on the Hurricanes themselves, just the timing. Which may or may not be true, but it's not like he said 'oh **** no, anywhere but there' or something.

You guys are right. I failed to look at this from the L.A. point of view.

TSN Insider Trading has the following list. They also report Dundon is on vacation and will meet face-to-face with remaining candidates starting next week.

upload_2018-3-13_19-1-54.png

I've got to admit I'm a bit excited about Gilman, and will probably hurt myself if it's Vellucci.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Add:
Aho, Slavin, Ward, Dundon, Brind'Amour, Tracy, Forslund...

It's easier to count the personnel who have had success elsewhere:
Stempniak, Williams, Staal, van Riemsdyk

Those comparisons make no sense. Brindy sure. The rest....

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
You guys are right. I failed to look at this from the L.A. point of view.

TSN Insider Trading has the following list. They also report Dundon is on vacation and will meet face-to-face with remaining candidates starting next week.

View attachment 104497

I've got to admit I'm a bit excited about Gilman, and will probably hurt myself if it's Vellucci.

Is Vellucci the fancy stats guy??

Nvm HC of checkers.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
At some point I'd like for the Checkers to have some stability at the HC position. I get that better/sentimental (as in Mark Morris' case) jobs are going to open up, but I would like to have a coach for more than one season again.

If Vellucci is the best guy, then fine, but I'd rather go outside the organization and leave the Checkers staff to focus on the Checkers.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
IDK what the "Big rig" even does other than challenge Tripp for the most pendantic on air personality in the history.

Other than being obsessed with trying to invent the best segue ever, he is a syrupy, gushing sycophant when it comes to Forslund and Kaiton.

Something like...We're live from MSG, the most legendary sports arena ever, and speaking of legendary sports announcers, here's our own John Forslund, a man who never shies away from the bright lights of Broadw [post interrupted due to a little bit of vomit in my mouth]...

I do not like Maniscalco's style at all but he seems like a nice enough guy I guess?

Agreed he does seem like a nice person but that style? Grating, fawning and failing IMO.

What I love about Maniscalco is how he asks for a breakdown of a play where he goes on to break it down himself and the players/coaches look at him like "uhh.. you nailed it guy, what the **** else am I supposed to say?"

"So Sebastian, what'd you see on that goal where Tuevo forced the turnover in the neutral zone, hit you with a pass as you came off the bench, giving you a breakaway going forehand to backhand 5 hole?"
"Uhh... yeah, that's what happened. It easy"

I find myself frequently muttering: "Objection...leading the witness" to many of his "questions".

And if not that type of a question, it's one of those formulaic "how important was it...?" ones.

"Ummm...fairly important."

Getting paid by a bad hockey team to talk or write about a bad hockey team is not an easy job. It's a constant balancing act, and not everyone is cut out for it. Mike M. and Tripp really aren't. They aren't able to be honest without coming off as critical, so they just aren't honest and it shows. John and Shane Willis are both excellent. The line they walk to be truthful, but not critical, is very difficult to manage. I don't know a lot about Mike Smith, and I suspect that's the way he likes it. When I was there, I tried to do as little as possible and just stick to the facts in an attempt not to draw any attention to myself. That's possible when you write on the web, but not so much when you're on TV. Mike M's got a tough job.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I guess it sucks that Futa bowed out that early (especially with a lame excuse), but as this all seems preliminary, I'm not too upset. I'll be much more upset if we get to the point of offering someone the job when this process is much further underway and they decline.

And please no Velucci. I don't care if he may be a decent, qualified candidate. Go outside.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm not sure I buy O'Neill talking about the budget. I wouldn't even think that would have come up yet in the process.
Well, it is O'Neill. The guy talks out his ass quite often and has taken a fair share of shots at his old team over the years. Not to say he is or isn't right on this one, but there's equally good chance he's talking out his ass. Weird as it is but despite somewhat similar online personas I'd say O'Sullivan definitely comes across as the more genuine of the two when it comes to our ex-players with a big online presence on Twitter.

Last edited:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I believe him. Until I see otherwise I'm inclined to believe there is a self imposed cap. Hence why no moves were made at the TD. Writing is on the wall until proven otherwise. TD isn't a gas mining mogul or showering in fat stacks like some other owners. So the verdict is still out. Any fan that says I am wrong here and that he will spend the money on talent is flat out guessing.

Last edited:

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I believe him. Until I see otherwise I'm inclined to believe there is a self imposed cap. Hence why no moves were made at the TD. Writing is on the wall until proven otherwise. TD isn't a gas mining mogul or showering in fat stacks like some other owners. So the verdict is still out. Any fan that says I am wrong here and that he will spend the money on talent is flat out guessing.

So are you.

Not overpaying with young talent and picks does not equate to not spending money on free agents.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Pretty brash for O’Neill to @ Dundon if the info isn’t true. O’Neill is incredibly unlikeable so I doubt he cares, but picking a fight with a Billionaire is not the smartest move in today’s culture. Just look at what Peter Thiel did to Gawker through Hulk Hogan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad