Speculation: Francis Lamorello Hunter..GMs galore

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are you suggesting we should hire one of the three in your title? Lamerello is retiring, not fired. This was planed from day one. Mark Hunter is probably making as much in TO as an assistant as we'd pay him, and he's also a candidate to take Lamerello's now vacant position, so that leaves Francis, who has made some questionable choices of his own.

Not saying Dorion is the best option out there, but I'd have chosen some different guys to prove your point...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Lou isn’t available he’s a senior advisor now, also I’ve always hated him. :laugh:

I think I’d rather have Dorion just out of spite. Plus Lou has made plenty of terrible moves towards the end of his career.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Every GM will make mistakes or has made mistakes, not every trade works out 100% of the time. They build a team in the best way they think will improve their team, sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't, but almost every GM eventually loses their job. And it's impossible to please every fan of any team.

Reactions: The Redden Rocket

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
Dorion is a bottom three GM in this league and he just signed an extension. He’s here to stay.

His pro moves were terrible but I still think he’s got an above average eye for prospects. Bottom five maybe, but I think his scouting keeps him out of the bottom 3.

Will be interesting to see how he handles this Karlsson situation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion is a bottom three GM in this league and he just signed an extension. He’s here to stay.

It's really hard to judge GMs against one another when they operate under much different constraints. I've not been happy with a bunch of Dorion's moves, but how many of those were dictated by budget restraints?

More importantly, imo, it takes 5 years before you can properly judge a GM. Dorion's certainly had some misses along the way so far, but until we know how some of the yet to be determined stuff pans out, it's unfair to label him as a bottom 5 GM as he has no history prior to the Sens to supplement the evaluation.

If Brown comes in like the next Getzlaf, Duchene continues to produce at a point per game, Karlsson's contract gets sorted out and he regains his form from 2016-17, Gustavsson turns out to be a quality starter, things can flip in a hurry.

The reality is Murray made some high risk moves in going after Ryan and Phaneuf, and those put us behind the eightball because Ryan's hand turned to glass, and while Phaneuf was serviceable, his high cost wasn't manageable with Ryan underperforming.

I'm critical of many of Dorion's moves so far, but it's to early to rank him yet as many of his decisions haven't gotten to the stage where you can fully evaluate them.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be
DfIs4UE.gif

Reactions: DJB

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
None of these guys ,save Lou whom is not available..Are that interesting ,and dont seem to enough an upgrade to bother....Dorion for all his faults is still a great drafter

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
None of these guys ,save Lou whom is not available..Are that interesting ,and dont seem to enough an upgrade to bother....Dorion for all his faults is still a great drafter
Demote him. Or make him Director of Hockey Ops. The problem in Ottawa is there is he is the top Hockey man in the organization. If we had a president of Hockey Ops .. a guy like Shanahan that oversees the hockey side on behalf of our Silent Owner. ... Dorion's job would definitely be in jeopardy.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Demote him. Or make him Director of Hockey Ops. The problem in Ottawa is there is he is the top Hockey man in the organization. If we had a president of Hockey Ops .. a guy like Shanahan that oversees the hockey side on behalf of our Silent Owner. ... Dorion's job would definitely be in jeopardy.

you guys bitch too much.

why would his job be in jeopardy? He had an ECF finish in his first year and a shitty second year fronted by injury and an unpredictable massive drop off in goaltending.

he made a trade to bring in a vet for a prospect as part of a playoff run. Happens every year. Playoff run was good. He won't get panned in hockey circles for that. They all do it

He moved out a pending ufa in Turris and got Duchene. Sign him and who cares what he gave up, he got the best player

Imo the biggest legit criticism of Dorion is the goalie contracts. But show me a GM without a bad signing.

The rap he has on this board is crazy. Has everything he's done turned to gold? no. find me someone who has that track record.

You mentioned Shanahan. Apart from winning a lottery what has he/Lou done that looks so much better. Sure you can point to a good contract or two...but they also signed Zaitsev for 6 years and that looks like a nightmare and they signed Marleau to a huge deal that's only going to get worse

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Hmm, I wonder if a former Swede winger of ours would do that if Melnyk humbled himself a bit and apologized.
Alfie President
Dorion-X GM, where X is a reasonably savvy pro assistant
Better coach than Dorion

Profit?
I wouldn't mind getting Ron Francis over here if we can afford him. He's not terrible...at worst e could be an excellent pro scout?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Given that Melnyk gave Dorion a three year extension , presumably for going to the ECF in 2016-17, would it not be appropriate for Dorion to give the coaching staff a three year extension too for the same rationale?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Given that Melnyk gave Dorion a three year extension , presumably for going to the ECF in 2016-17, would it not be appropriate for Dorion to give the coaching staff a three year extension too for the same rationale?
No

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Funny, one year ago Peter Chiarelli, Pierre Dorion, and David Poile were named finalists for the General Manager of the Year Award.

So arguably he was one of the Top Three GMs in the league.

Some people in these forms will require some earlier than expected Knee replacements, from all the bandwagon (on-off-on-off) jumping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->