Franchise Value

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
winnipeg definitely will. it's merely a matter of time.

face the facts, most americans have seen hockey AND DON'T LIKE IT !! teams are already crumbling and it's only year 2 post-lockout. imagine 3 years down the road when 10,000 fans per game is considered "good" for some markets - yet you laugh at winnipeg and quebec city because they actually have hockey fans.

here's a past quote from the nhl's deputy commissioner:
Bill Daly (NHL VP) says...
"There's no reason to think Houston or Kansas City would be considered ahead of Quebec or Winnipeg (for relocation). There are still too many empty seats in markets like Carolina and Florida, even though attendance is up in those markets"

well attendance is up in carolina after they won the cup, but florida and several others are still drawing poorly.

why are you smarter than bill daly ? why would you mock his opinion ? what do you do in portland that would make you such an expert on nhl feasibility in other markets ?

is this where you claim winnipeg can't support a team because the jets moved ? but you conveniently forget the north stars had worse attendance, and yet the Wild have had continuous sell outs ?

c'mon, provide something of substance, please. otherwise, it's just too easy to discredit you.

The president of the Blues, John Davidson, has been quoted as "I firmly believe that Winnipeg deserves an NHL franchise. I think it's time that the NHL thought seriously of relocating some of those failing teams in the U.S. markets [to cities] where the game is truly appreciated. And if Winnipeg has a new arena, it should have a shot at getting a team back"

Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun ""Phoenix is one of those sun-belt franchises I can see being contracted in the next few seasons if it doesn't end up making the return trip back north to become the Winnipeg Jets again. Mike Barnett's pre-lockout moves to sign Brett Hull, Mike Ricci and Peter Nedved didn't do it. The Coyotes have already cut ticket prices on nearly 15,000 seats from 11% to 25% depending on location. More than 5,000 of their seats will be available for $15 or less U.S. per game."

Shane Doan, Phoenix Coyotes Captain on playing in Winnipeg "Those are huge moments that I'll always remember," Doan said. "And I'll never forget the last game we played there before moving to Phoenix. It was the loudest building I've ever been in for a sporting event.... ever! I couldn't hear what my teammates were saying."

winnipeg will get an nhl team again, because frankly THEY'RE HOCKEY FANS ! and nothing a kid in portland says will change that. but keep trying if it gives you a purpose.

This part is entirely unfair and misleading and I have no connection to Phoenix to have an opinion one way or another. Most franchises cut prices to some degree after the lockout, and those quoted in Phoenix were in line with many others that I have seen. Some in fact cut prices as much as over 60% in some locations, and some have ticket prices as low as $10 per seat. The way it is quoted it makes it seem that Phoenix alone lowered prices and that they did so in response to low crowds. It was a league wide thing. The quote is misleading and shoddy journalism at its worst.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
This part is entirely unfair and misleading and I have no connection to Phoenix to have an opinion one way or another. Most franchises cut prices to some degree after the lockout, and those quoted in Phoenix were in line with many others that I have seen. Some in fact cut prices as much as over 60% in some locations, and some have ticket prices as low as $10 per seat. The way it is quoted it makes it seem that Phoenix alone lowered prices and that they did so in response to low crowds. It was a league wide thing. The quote is misleading and shoddy journalism at its worst.

i spend at least a few weeks in phoenix every year and love the city. but did any of those other teams that cut prices have 5,000 seats at less than $ 15 ? i'm not a big jones fan since he's an edmonton homer, but is he not reporting true facts ?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
i spend at least a few weeks in phoenix every year and love the city. but did any of those other teams that cut prices have 5,000 seats at less than $ 15 ? i'm not a big jones fan since he's an edmonton homer, but is he not reporting true facts ?

A couple of fan bases here at HF mentioned $10 tickets. I hate to misquote, as it had been a while, but perhaps the Canes and Tampa Bay mentioned $10 seats, maybe Columbus too.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
I think this is interesting

The Leafs, according to Forbes magazine, had operating income of $41.5 million (all figures U.S.) last season, more than twice that generated by any of the league's other 29 franchises.

In fact, it was greater than the combined operating income of 26 other teams, even if you include Canadian-based franchises Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163199012282&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home[/URL]

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
A couple of fan bases here at HF mentioned $10 tickets. I hate to misquote, as it had been a while, but perhaps the Canes and Tampa Bay mentioned $10 seats, maybe Columbus too.
Tampa has 200 seats for $8 available the mornings of games at the box office. It's something they've done for years and it's a nice gesture for them to keep it up.

Tampa most certainly did not cut their prices after the lockout, they didn't have to.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Eventually people are going to concede that Tampa is one of the better franchise's out there. They just had a nice run of sellouts and I expect them to be around a long long time

Plus I love thier coach and GM :D

GSC2k2*

here's a past quote from the nhl's deputy commissioner:
Bill Daly (NHL VP) says...
"There's no reason to think Houston or Kansas City would be considered ahead of Quebec or Winnipeg (for relocation). There are still too many empty seats in markets like Carolina and Florida, even though attendance is up in those markets"

Thank you for providing the link to "support" your quote above.

Too bad Bill Daly did not actually SAY the part that I have bolded and underlined above, which section is most certainly the part that another poster expressed surprise about (the first sentence being completely innocuous).

Are you going to correct yourself?

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
What's very noticeable is that the Canadian and small-market teams all saw large increases in franchise values over the two year period since the 03-04 Forbes survey.

For the Canadian teams its likely due to the strength of the Canadian dollar.

For the small-market teams it's likely due to the new CBA, which has brought them more revenue-sharing and cost certainties.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Thank you for providing the link to "support" your quote above.

Too bad Bill Daly did not actually SAY the part that I have bolded and underlined above, which section is most certainly the part that another poster expressed surprise about (the first sentence being completely innocuous).

Are you going to correct yourself?

lol, you amuse me.

Last edited:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
And you me.

I guess the answer to my question is "no", huh?

That's okay. The record speaks for itself.

"Daly conceded that there are still too many empty seats in markets like Carolina and Florida, even though attendance is up in those markets."

- fourth period.

i wasn't in the room during the interview so i can't confirm what he EXACTLY said. although the context of the discussion seems fairly clear. i'd like to see your copy of the montreal gazette article in question since they don't keep online archives as i'll gladly admit my error in quoting from online sites.

perhaps daly was, in fact, an idiot and believed there were "just enough" empty seats in markets like phoenix and carolina at the time , and not "too many" !!! lol

Last edited:

GSC2k2*

"Daly conceded that there are still too many empty seats in markets like Carolina and Florida, even though attendance is up in those markets."

- fourth period.

i wasn't in the room during the interview so i can't confirm what he EXACTLY said. although the context of the discussion seems fairly clear. i'd like to see your copy of the montreal gazette article in question since they don't keep online archives as i'll gladly admit my error in quoting from online sites.

perhaps daly was, in fact, an idiot and believed there were "just enough" empty seats in markets like phoenix and carolina at the time , and not "too many" !!! lol
Man, you are either the thickest person in the world, the most dogmatic, or you honestly have no clue how newspaper/magazine articles get written.

Here is an exchange as to how such a sentence can get written:

Reporter: "Mr. Daly, what do you think about attendance in the sun belt cities?"

Daly: "We are very pleased with attendance overall. Attendance has been very strong in a number of southern markets like Tampa Bay. Take Carolina and Florida for example, where attendance is significantly up from last year."

Reporter: "You would agree, though, that there are some sun belt cities where attendance is not so great?"

Daly: "Well, in an ideal situation, you want a sellout for every game in every franchise. Every business always wants to improve its market position no matter what, and hockey franchises are no exception. Even if there is one unsold seat in an arena, you will want to work towards selling that seat as well. So, for any franchise, one unsold seat is one too many. Nevertheless, we are very happy with the direction that attendance is taking overall, and we are comfortable with each and every one of our franchises."

Reporter: "Thank you {scuttles off}".

Story: "Daly concedes there are too many unsold seats in Carolina and Florida".

Do you understand now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad