Fortnite: Battle Royale - Free - All Platforms

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't know what it is but I enjoy PUBG a lot more than this. The similarities are hilarious though. I think its different enough but really only because of building "forts" and walls and such. Outside of that its basically a cartoon PUBG. Good for a free game and I am sure many people will enjoy it

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't know what it is but I enjoy PUBG a lot more than this. The similarities are hilarious though. I think its different enough but really only because of building "forts" and walls and such. Outside of that its basically a cartoon PUBG. Good for a free game and I am sure many people will enjoy it

Smaller map makes for shorter games if you go far and more tense moments IMO. The more cartoony graphics also allows the game to run a lot better than PUBG does at times.

Maybe it's cause I played Fortnite first but I can't get into PUBG and thankfully I never bought it and my friends were generous enough to let me give it a go.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Smaller map makes for shorter games if you go far and more tense moments IMO. The more cartoony graphics also allows the game to run a lot better than PUBG does at times.

Maybe it's cause I played Fortnite first but I can't get into PUBG and thankfully I never bought it and my friends were generous enough to let me give it a go.
Its like $30. Easily worth half the price of a full fledged AAA (even some non AAA) game. But to each their own.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I enjoy Fortnite a lot more than PUBG right now (on Xbox).

I feel like the XBox PUBG has a lot of work to do still.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just found out about this game last night. My buddies and I played it for hours and one of my friends even brought over their tv and Xbox so we could play together. 5 or 6 years ago a guy I worked with told about this zombie survival game (Day Z??) and it sounded amazing. Now it looks like a little version of that has made its way to the consoles which is AWESOME.

This game is pretty fun. I've only had a top 5 finish so far but it's exciting every time. What are your guy's strategies? I go with the Hunger Games approach. Let the first 2-3 storm zones shrink, get as much supplies and weapons as possible, and let everyone else kill each other. The actual combat is too chaotic and the controls are IMHO a little sporadic so you're really playing the odds by doing the run and gun approach in the beginning.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just found out about this game last night. My buddies and I played it for hours and one of my friends even brought over their tv and Xbox so we could play together. 5 or 6 years ago a guy I worked with told about this zombie survival game (Day Z??) and it sounded amazing. Now it looks like a little version of that has made its way to the consoles which is AWESOME.

This game is pretty fun. I've only had a top 5 finish so far but it's exciting every time. What are your guy's strategies? I go with the Hunger Games approach. Let the first 2-3 storm zones shrink, get as much supplies and weapons as possible, and let everyone else kill each other. The actual combat is too chaotic and the controls are IMHO a little sporadic so you're really playing the odds by doing the run and gun approach in the beginning.

My strategy is to seek out conflict at the very beginning. I usually jump out right away and either die or kill 1-3 people. It helps your practice how to use all of the guns and aim properly, it's the best way to get better at the game.

Also building is very important. If you're getting shot at and you don't see the person right away, build walls in that direction to shield you.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Yeah if you want to win you definetely have to play a little cautious (you can win the other way just harder) My favorites are the 2 fields. And the zone that are good now may be pretty empty in a day or so when people check out the new zones

Also I would change the controls to I think it’s standard. Try that one out I like it more. Might be easier as well cause you are new

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I usually try to drop into the furthest parts of the map where I only have to fight off one or two other players while getting a massive haul. Probably 75% of players are eliminated within the first five minutes or so, I focus on waiting my time collecting so I can go 1v1 when the real fighting starts. Easiest way to get fragged early is by dropping into an area with too many enemies, fighting off like 10 people within the span of a few minutes is really hard.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
My favorite place to drop is usually the race track on the very right side of the map. I think there's 3-4 chests there that have some pretty solid loot. Check out the house and the platforms around the actual "track" to find them. You can also head to the little property that's just down the road that has the barn. Usually good loot there and there's a chest on top of the Optimus Prime looking structure

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My strategy is to seek out conflict at the very beginning. I usually jump out right away and either die or kill 1-3 people. It helps your practice how to use all of the guns and aim properly, it's the best way to get better at the game.

Also building is very important. If you're getting shot at and you don't see the person right away, build walls in that direction to shield you.

Yep this is what I do as well. I used to play more cautious, going to more unknown places on the map but then I'd get to the end of the game and get absolutely steamrolled cause I wasn't getting better at combat. I'm no pro or anything but I no longer get amazed when I'm able to get 3-7 kills in a game. If I ever got to 8-10 I'd be a lot more impressed with myself.

What's frustrating me is I think I've been having connection problems with the game cause I'll try to unload in some people with ARs and it will seem like they have infinite health but they'll hit me with what feels like 2 or 3 bullets and I'll already be near death. I know headshots are a thing but I doubt every player I get into gunfights with are this good at clipping the head.
I enjoy Fortnite a lot more than PUBG right now (on Xbox).

I feel like the XBox PUBG has a lot of work to do still.
Oh jesus I tried XBone PUBG and PC in the same night (a friend borrowed the download from another XBL account and was inspired to buy it for PC in the same night) and it runs like absolute dogshit on XBone. I was stunned at how slow and ugly everything was. It looked barely better than a standard PS2 shooter.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Also as a PSA: don't buy the founder's pack. The PVE mode "Save the World" has fun elements but matches take wayyy too long and the gameplay can be repetitive if you try to progress too much in one day.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Hoo boy the new map locations are total clusterf***s. Tilted Towers is like your worst Pleasant Park experience x3

Best game I had in a string of 6 in an hour was finishing 4th in squads after starting at moisty mire. If we hadn't got ambushed by a squad on a hill we might've won. The pub found teammates I played with were really good. We all just foolishly tried to snipe another squad at the base of a cliff.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Won my first solo game on PC (did it four times on PS4 over the holidays and haven't been able to do it again).

Word of advice: if Snobby Shores is far away from the bus it's worth trying to go there and see if no one else went. I came away with insanely good guns and lots of material and won it in the end.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah tilted towers. Stay away. It’s even worse then pleasant because the buildings are new plus they are horrible. So many corners

The racetrack + barn is probably the best loot location in the game. ESP with the newness of the new locations

Haunted hills is alright and snobby shores seems okay (didn’t get time to check all the houses and see how many chests). Junkyard sucks (from my limited time there) Soccer stadium sucks. Think I’m forgetting some still haven’t checked out everything though

Reactions: hb12xchamps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah tilted towers. Stay away. It’s even worse then pleasant because the buildings are new plus they are horrible. So many corners

The racetrack + barn is probably the best loot location in the game. ESP with the newness of the new locations

Haunted hills is alright and snobby shores seems okay (didn’t get time to check all the houses and see how many chests). Junkyard sucks (from my limited time there) Soccer stadium sucks. Think I’m forgetting some still haven’t checked out everything though
Someone else gets it! No one every goes there because it's so far away from everything

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think the problem with Tilted Towers is they based it way too much on the metropolitan areas of the Save the World mode. It's like they took a Save the World city map and squeezed all the buildings together.

It's equal parts too big and too cramped.

My solo win yesterday did force me close to tilted but luckily the circle moved to the natural setting to the northwest.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
My favorite spot is the mountain with the basketball court. Theres usually 3 chests on the court, house attic, and little wooden plank on the other side. Then I'll usually head right down to the chest next to the cars, and loop around to the little structure right next to the mountain for another chest. I've noticed less people land there since the new map locations, so it works out great. Right next to Salty and Fatal, so I'll look for people to kill and loot from. Additionally, its a little more central to the map, so I find for the most part I dont need to do much running around.

Speaking of the new spots, its fantastic to not go to them at all. You'll usually find what you need somewhere along the outsides anyway with minimal chance of getting picked off, so I avoid them altogether. Overall I'm loving the update though, as the map seems more "full" now.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010

This isn't me but this is an absolutely insane play on Fortnite.

I play on Xbox and can generally get 3+ kills and place top 25 but my building and loot finding are lacking. Not sure of a game that can get my heart racing quite as much, which typically makes me forget to build when in a fight. If anyone wants to play duos/squads my gamertag is OriginalCashew feel free to add me and send an invite.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

This isn't me but this is an absolutely insane play on Fortnite.

I play on Xbox and can generally get 3+ kills and place top 25 but my building and loot finding are lacking. Not sure of a game that can get my heart racing quite as much, which typically makes me forget to build when in a fight. If anyone wants to play duos/squads my gamertag is OriginalCashew feel free to add me and send an invite.

Any time you get shot just make sure you put wall stairs (wood as they take 2 shots to go down instead of one when building) and then 360 a box with stairs. Youll win a lot more fights. Also putting a wall down in a close encounter can shift a fight in your direction. Some say use roof stairs instead of stairs but Im used to normal stairs myself.

Also counter building when youre getting pushed on is a must.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Any time you get shot just make sure you put wall stairs (wood as they take 2 shots to go down instead of one when building) and then 360 a box with stairs. Youll win a lot more fights. Also putting a wall down in a close encounter can shift a fight in your direction. Some say use roof stairs instead of stairs but Im used to normal stairs myself.

Also counter building when youre getting pushed on is a must.
Thanks for the advice. I watch streamers on twitch so I have an idea of what I need to do, but I just get caught up in the moment. Most shooters the thought is, oh crap, turn, then shoot. Just need to train myself to get the building going before I shoot. I've only played 50ish solos and 50ish duos that I would consider count. Played roughly 100 squads but only 20-50 of those I had any clue what was going on.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thanks for the advice. I watch streamers on twitch so I have an idea of what I need to do, but I just get caught up in the moment. Most shooters the thought is, oh crap, turn, then shoot. Just need to train myself to get the building going before I shoot. I've only played 50ish solos and 50ish duos that I would consider count. Played roughly 100 squads but only 20-50 of those I had any clue what was going on.

Im probably at 1500 games, youll get there.

I still struggle mightly in 1v1 close encounters. I can snipe with the best of em but shotgunning is hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad