Fortnite: Battle Royale - Free - All Platforms

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
How is a F2P game supposed to survive without payed for content?

Fortnite is the model all F2P games should be going for. You see it, you buy it, or you don't. You know exactly what you are going to get, and none of it provides a competitive advantage.

They are making BANK off of this game and the majority of people who play it haven't even spent a dime on it.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yea I don't have a problem with Fortnites model. I've spent $12 on the battle pass last season and it's gotten me a ton of different emotes/skins, and enough to get the battle pass for "free" this season and it'll be the same next season.

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
1. Or they understand it and just... don't... like it.....

2. Exactly... Which is what people don't like about it... It's billed as a Battle Royale/shooter sandbox, when in reality it's not that at all. It's in its own genre of : "build a structure really fast against the other guy who's also building a structure really fast".

3. Or they played it and think that it's a gimmicky game with gimmicky features... lol

4. So basically it's shooting game that doesn't focus on shooting.

Just because the games mechanics don't fit the traditional BR mold, it means its a trashy gimmicky game? :huh:

I have thousands of hours on Counter Strike and consider myself half decent at the game, and I don't find Fortnites shooting gimmicky at all. (Neither do half the pro players addicted to this game in the CS scene). 1st bullet accuracy patch was a great update for Fortnite, and tackled the games RNG gunplay issues with bloom. Sure the bloom is still there, but the patch makes all of your rifle shots laser accurate, meaning any time you miss with a rested M16/SCAR/Deagle/etc. shot - you are the only one to blame. Plus, name me any BR games with good server hit registration aswell as shooting mechanics (HINT they don't exist)

The level of gameplay in Fortnite is so much deeper than you make it out to be, and ridiculously deeper than your traditional BR's like H1 & PUBG, who's top tier players have resorted to the most pitiful and boring of tactics imaginable. Fortnite allows offensive and defensive play styles to thrive. You can be the dude who dropped corner map farming materials to make a Fort Knox in the top 10, preferably with high ground securing an advantageous defensive position, or you can be that dude that likes aggro drops, with high kill games & securing materials / better loot by killing their way to victory. Defending a siege can be just as difficult as taking high ground off a well positioned player , and, both styles have their pros in cons, but one constant remains is building. If you can't accept that simple fact - then the game isn't for you, and I don't get why you would exhaust any time whining about a FREEEEEEEEE game

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just because the games mechanics don't fit the traditional BR mold, it means its a trashy gimmicky game? :huh:

I have thousands of hours on Counter Strike and consider myself half decent at the game, and I don't find Fortnites shooting gimmicky at all. (Neither do half the pro players addicted to this game in the CS scene). 1st bullet accuracy patch was a great update for Fortnite, and tackled the games RNG gunplay issues with bloom. Sure the bloom is still there, but the patch makes all of your rifle shots laser accurate, meaning any time you miss with a rested M16/SCAR/Deagle/etc. shot - you are the only one to blame. Plus, name me any BR games with good server hit registration aswell as shooting mechanics (HINT they don't exist)

The level of gameplay in Fortnite is so much deeper than you make it out to be, and ridiculously deeper than your traditional BR's like H1 & PUBG, who's top tier players have resorted to the most pitiful and boring of tactics imaginable. Fortnite allows offensive and defensive play styles to thrive. You can be the dude who dropped corner map farming materials to make a Fort Knox in the top 10, preferably with high ground securing an advantageous defensive position, or you can be that dude that likes aggro drops, with high kill games & securing materials / better loot by killing their way to victory. Defending a siege can be just as difficult as taking high ground off a well positioned player , and, both styles have their pros in cons, but one constant remains is building. If you can't accept that simple fact - then the game isn't for you, and I don't get why you would exhaust any time whining about a FREEEEEEEEE game

Whining? It's a thread designed to discuss the game and I'm discussing the game. I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm not saying other people are stupid for liking it, I'm just saying that I don't like it...... At no point did I ever call it a "trash game". I just said that people find it gimmicky.

Rocket League has a lot more depth to it than a lot of people think. You can shoot straight when the ball's on the ground, or be that dude who goes for wall-ride aerial hits all game, or you can "be that dude" who sits back and plays defense and goaltender. You can go all-offense and try to score the whole time, or you can be a disruptor and break up all your opponents' plays. You can play singles, doubles, or 3's which each drastically changes the strategy in each mode. Then on top of that there are more specialized game modes that you can play.
Like Fortnite, Rocket League is a pretty unique game that doesn't have many direct comparables. But when someone tells me they don't like it and then tell me why they don't like it I don't go on tirades on them about the game. Sometimes people just don't like things that we like, and that's okay.

Last edited:

Oiffub

Mar 16, 2010
ACC
Whining? It's a thread designed to discuss the game and I'm discussing the game. I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm not saying other people are stupid for liking it, I'm just saying that I don't like it...... At no point did I ever call it a "trash game". I just said that people find it gimmicky.

Rocket League has a lot more depth to it than a lot of people think. You can shoot straight when the ball's on the ground, or be that dude who goes for wall-ride aerial hits all game, or you can "be that dude" who sits back and plays defense and goaltender. You can go all-offense and try to score the whole time, or you can be a disruptor and break up all your opponents' plays. You can play singles, doubles, or 3's which each drastically changes the strategy in each mode. Then on top of that there are more specialized game modes that you can play.
Like Fortnite, Rocket League is a pretty unique game that doesn't have many direct comparables. But when someone tells me they don't like it and then tell me why they don't like it I don't go on tirades on them about the game. Sometimes people just don't like things that we like, and that's okay.
idk why you are bringing up rocket league but, ok.

also, you didn't need to spell out that you don't like fortnite - ya made it pretty clear with your multiple posts blasting its mechanics and F2P approach

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
idk why you are bringing up rocket league but, ok.

also, you didn't need to spell out that you don't like fortnite - ya made it pretty clear with your multiple posts blasting its mechanics and F2P approach

You read this quote and you're "not sure why I'm bringing up Rocket League"?

I bring up Rocket League because it's a game that I like a have spent a lot of time playing, but other people have told me they don't like, for various reasons. But rather than go on tirade against them because they don't like something I like, I just accept that other people don't like the things that I like for their own reasons. Their reasons are their own and my approval is not needed.

I didn't blast anything, man. I said I don't like the game, another poster commented about why HE thinks that people don't like the game and I was engaging with him on that. I didn't call it bad, I didn't call it trash, I didn't say people are stupid for not liking it. "gimmick" is not necessarily an insult to the game either... Jesus.

I love the f2p approach to Fortnite, I went on a bit of a tangent/rant about micro-transactions, which I later clarified that I think Fortnite takes the right approach to micro-transactions.

Are you on the dev team or something? Are you in a romantic relationship with Fortnite? Why are you so bothered by the fact that I (someone on an internet forum who you don't know and will likely never met) don't like this game? lol

Oiffub

Mar 16, 2010
ACC
You read this quote and you're "not sure why I'm bringing up Rocket League"?

I bring up Rocket League because it's a game that I like a have spent a lot of time playing, but other people have told me they don't like, for various reasons. But rather than go on tirade against them because they don't like something I like, I just accept that other people don't like the things that I like for their own reasons. Their reasons are their own and my approval is not needed.

I didn't blast anything, man. I said I don't like the game, another poster commented about why HE thinks that people don't like the game and I was engaging with him on that. I didn't call it bad, I didn't call it trash, I didn't say people are stupid for not liking it. Jesus.

I love the f2p approach to Fortnite, I went on a bit of a tangent/rant about micro-transactions, which I later clarified that I think Fortnite takes the right approach to micro-transactions.

Are you on the dev team or something? Are you in a romantic relationship with Fortnite? Why are you so bothered by the fact that I (someone on an internet forum who you don't know and will likely never met) don't like this game? lol

take a step back dude. Just because I'm defending a game I enjoy means Im on the dev team?

"The building is absolutely ridiculous and every match turns into two guys playing "build a tower straight up as quickly as possible". Between that, the remote controlled rockets, and those boost things that throw you up in the air, and now this Thanos crap this game is about as gimmicky as they come."

Ya man, totally constructive opinion on the state of the game :eyeroll:. Even though those rockets literally haven't been in the game for a month.... I replied to your comments cause you essentially put this game on blast when it's clear you're probably just bad at it. You're acting like you've provided meaningful input to this thread when all you've done is whine *4 posts on the other page.

Not only that, the hate is ridiculously unwarranted if you play just about any other major game franchise besides Rocket League/Dota/LoL. The majority of gamers coming from other PC communities have been absoultley gushing at the attention Epic has been giving the game, with the frequency of updates and content patches Fornite recieves. There are very few major game companies out there keeping their active fan bases happy, and providing meaningful and FUN updates to their games. I play a f*** ton of Hearthstone and CSGO, and Blizz and Valve don't give a flying f*** about the user experience. Compare that to what Epic games have been doing to this IP and you know what? Ya, ill defend them, cause they are actually doing a pretty impressive job with this game. When a game you never heard of last year is on track to being one of the most successful games of all time, you are doing something right.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
take a step back dude. Just because I'm defending a game I enjoy means Im on the dev team?

"The building is absolutely ridiculous and every match turns into two guys playing "build a tower straight up as quickly as possible". Between that, the remote controlled rockets, and those boost things that throw you up in the air, and now this Thanos crap this game is about as gimmicky as they come."

Ya dude, totally constructive opinion on the state of the game. Even though those rockets literally haven't been in the game for a month.... I replied to your comments cause you essentially put this game on blast when it's clear you're probably just bad at it. You're acting like you've provided meaningful input to this thread when all you've done is whine *4 posts on the other page.

Not only that, the hate is ridiculously unwarranted if you play just about any other major game franchise besides Rocket League/Dota/LoL. There are very few major game companies out there keeping their active fan bases happy, and providing meaningful and FUN updates to their games. I play a **** ton of Hearthstone and CSGO, and Blizz and Valve don't give a flying **** about the user experience. Compare that to what Epic games have been doing to this IP and you know what? Ya, ill defend them, cause they are actually doing a pretty impressive job with this game. When a game you never heard of last year is on track to being one of the most successful games of all time, you are doing something right.

Because you're defending the game from someone who isn't even attacking it. I said I don't like the game and you jumped into attack mode. Sometimes people don't like the things that we like and that's okay. Just because someone doesn't like something and expresses that they don't like it doesn't mean that they're saying it's bad or other people shouldn't like it.

The "Thanos crap" is gimmicky by definition of the word "gimmick". It's a straight up publicity stunt playing off the popularity of the Avengers. If you can't admit this then you're just in denial.

The old adage that someone who doesn't like a game is "just bad at it" is so old and tired. Sometimes people just don't like things? I even straight up stated that the game is not to my taste, because I prefer games that are more realistic. I never once said it's a bad game. You're pulling shit out that I never said and defending this crap way too hard.

Me saying I don't like the game and find it gimmicky = putting it on blast?

Oiffub

Mar 16, 2010
ACC
Because you're defending the game from someone who isn't even attacking it. I said I don't like the game and you jumped into attack mode. Sometimes people don't like the things that we like and that's okay. Just because someone doesn't like something and expresses that they don't like it doesn't mean that they're saying it's bad or other people shouldn't like it.

The "Thanos crap" is gimmicky by definition of the word "gimmick". It's a straight up publicity stunt playing off the popularity of the Avengers. If you can't admit this then you're just in denial.

The old adage that someone who doesn't like a game is "just bad at it" is so old and tired. Sometimes people just don't like things? I even straight up stated that the game is not to my taste, because I prefer games that are more realistic. I never once said it's a bad game. You're pulling **** out that I never said and defending this crap way too hard.

Me saying I don't like the game and find it gimmicky = putting it on blast?

No need to get your panties in a knot dude. Just don't play the game, why are you even in this thread if you don't like it so much :huh:

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
No need to get your panties in a knot dude. Just don't play the game, why are you even in this thread if you don't like it so much :huh:
One of our panties are in a bunch and it ain't mine. I just thought maybe if I went to size 7 font with all the bells and whistles it might help you understand the point that I've been trying to hammer into your head during this entire discussion.

I'm in this thread because this is a social forum about video games and I have an avid interest in video games. Someone started a thread about a particular video game that I have an opinion on and I voiced my opinion.

You seem to think I have some sort of hatred for the game, when in reality it's just another "take it or leave it" type of game for me. A free game in my library that I picked up and played for a while and wasn't that crazy about... I don't enjoy the building aspect of the game, which is pretty much the crux of the game.

- Yeah, it's just not for me. When it comes to shooters I've always been a little bit more into more realistic shooters, so this doesn't really do it for me.

Oiffub

Mar 16, 2010
ACC
One of our panties are in a bunch and it ain't mine. I just thought maybe if I went to size 7 font with all the bells and whistles it might help you understand the point that I've been trying to hammer into your head during this entire discussion.

I'm in this thread because this is a social forum about video games and I have an avid interest in video games. Someone started a thread about a particular video game that I have an opinion on and I voiced my opinion.

You seem to think I have some sort of hatred for the game, when in reality it's just another "take it or leave it" type of game for me. A free game in my library that I picked up and played for a while and wasn't that crazy about... I don't enjoy the building aspect of the game, which is pretty much the crux of the game.

I just can't get into this Rocket league game. Way too corny for me. The boosts are absolutely ridiculous and every match turns into two guys playing "camp the corner boost as much as possible". Between that, the rotating imbalanced arenas, now this Hotwheels crap this game is about as gimmicky as they come.

I don't hate the game or anything, I just think boost camping and car desctruction are crux of the game and it just isn't for me. Also, the micro-transaction trend that the gaming industry has adopted makes me sick, man. Between things like HOT WHEELS DLC and deadmau5 paid promotion, Rockstar selling GTA$, and paid DLC companies are more interested in making moneygrabbing micro-transactions than they are about making a quality game with depth.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I would be totally fine with that assessment. I disagree with it. But I'd be fine with it because everyone can have their own opinions :)

Also, for the record, you're the one who said this game is ALL ABOUT BUILDING lol.

I already explained the bit about DLC that I discussed, you either ignored that or are choosing to be intentionally dense.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
So.. moving on from that argument..

Anyone else think the Thanos mode was way more fun before they nerfed him today? He struck fear into you if he was near you with 200/800 HP, now if you wait until 1 guy takes some HP off him you can take him out. I guess it makes more people Thanos in one match but meh.

They at least need to buff his laser's damage, it's pointless to attempt to use.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Yea I don't have a problem with Fortnites model. I've spent $12 on the battle pass last season and it's gotten me a ton of different emotes/skins, and enough to get the battle pass for "free" this season and it'll be the same next season.

Exactly. For $10 you can get tons of skins, emotes, etc. if you're smart with your money.

The game is a lot more fun when you have the Battle Pass, for me at least. The weekly challenges and goal of completing them and levelling up gives me an extra purpose in the game. Plus, not gonna lie, it's a lot more fun to run around in skins than as the default characters lol

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Its definitely not going to be for everyone, some people will just never get over the graphics or think the building stuff is dumb. I find it a breath of fresh air when most big blockbuster MP games are FPS military shooters (with reskinned guns/maps and sold for $80).

I can understand why some people just aren't into the shooting, or don't want to take the time to learn how to build quick. Some of the criticisms though like the game is repetitive or it's boring are what I don't get. What MP game isn't repetitive? How many times can you play a match of TDM on the same game. The only thing that can get repetitive is getting materials, but that can be countered by just killing people that did the work for you lol. It allows you to land almost anywhere on the map every match, it has a bunch of new weapons( with constant updates to improve the game every week), every match to me feels different , I never know what skill level of player I will be coming up against next.

The whole boring perspective is also hard to grasp. Usually the ones who say that are the ones who land in the middle of nowhere basically avoiding any conflict. The game can be played many different ways, if you find it boring just hugging the storm, maybe try and challenge yourself. Instead of just trying to go for wins, try going for kills and being the aggressor (the wins will come). You may not always come out on top but things will be more active and you will most likely improve and have more fun in the process.

This game now is primarily knowing how to build, it can be difficult at times since you not only have to worry about building , but learn to recognize on when to shoot or just back off from a fight.

Lets just say I find the game genuinely fun and 680ish wins in I am still not bored lol. They are doing so much right with improving the game (especially on console with the 60fps update, building around objects and builder pro) I just hope it continues. I think a lot of other games can learn a thing or two on what FN is doing right.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So.. moving on from that argument..

Anyone else think the Thanos mode was way more fun before they nerfed him today? He struck fear into you if he was near you with 200/800 HP, now if you wait until 1 guy takes some HP off him you can take him out. I guess it makes more people Thanos in one match but meh.

They at least need to buff his laser's damage, it's pointless to attempt to use.
Is it just me, or does it take a lot longer for Thanos to show up now too? I think they found that people were just hand gliding around and decided to let it drop after the first storm was over. Most of the players at that point have been eliminated

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Is it just me, or does it take a lot longer for Thanos to show up now too? I think they found that people were just hand gliding around and decided to let it drop after the first storm was over. Most of the players at that point have been eliminated
It's definitely been changed. Battle bus route takes ~45 seconds, then the storm closing used to be 2:30 worth of time but now has a full 3 minutes, while the Gauntlet used to drop at 1:45 when it was 2:30 but now I think drops at 1:30 if not later.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
How is a F2P game supposed to survive without payed for content?

Fortnite is the model all F2P games should be going for. You see it, you buy it, or you don't. You know exactly what you are going to get, and none of it provides a competitive advantage.

They are making BANK off of this game and the majority of people who play it haven't even spent a dime on it.

I like to call it the DoTA 2 model, because that's the first game that I can recall that went for it. Free to play, but you pay for cosmetics and other content like challenges/quests.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
Week 3 challenges are going to include pistol damage, sniper eliminations and tilted tower eliminations. Yikes

Why yikes? hunting rifles are unreal and tilted kills should take less than 5 matches for even the average player. pistol damage could be a pain tho, I'll give ya that 1.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Why yikes? hunting rifles are unreal and tilted kills should take less than 5 matches for even the average player. pistol damage could be a pain tho, I'll give ya that 1.

The sniper/pistol challenges are more annoying than hard. Easy enough to knock someone and rack up the damage or eliminations. Tilted is gonna be laggy af and wild

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I only play free and no battlepass, but the kills stuff should be easy to do in duos and squads once another player is knocked down.

Really happy 50v50 is back. I have so much fun with that mode even if I'm on the wrong side of a 25-5 match. Also seems to be a lot less a-hole players so far in my experience. Very few waiting for someone to die to get their loot or impulsing someone to their death or shooting down someone on a ramp. Lots of actual working together in my two different times playing it for awhile. Haven't even experienced storm campers which I guess is a thing people are doing since the damage is minimal.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I only play free and no battlepass, but the kills stuff should be easy to do in duos and squads once another player is knocked down.

Really happy 50v50 is back. I have so much fun with that mode even if I'm on the wrong side of a 25-5 match. Also seems to be a lot less a-hole players so far in my experience. Very few waiting for someone to die to get their loot or impulsing someone to their death or shooting down someone on a ramp. Lots of actual working together in my two different times playing it for awhile. Haven't even experienced storm campers which I guess is a thing people are doing since the damage is minimal.
I was eliminated from a match and watching my two friends play. It started at 32 players vs 1 and eventually worked its way down to 24 vs 1 because of people destroying structures and taking fall damage and what not. The final storm location was in the canyon just outside of Tilted. The guy that was left on the other team ran from just inside the storm, all the way to Dusty Divot and built a structure with tons of campfires and had tons of bandages and med kits and ended up winning the game for the other team. It was super lame how that was able to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad