Fortnite: Battle Royale - Free - All Platforms

Sep 19, 2008
Ah yes this was the game that triggered PUBG so that they issued they lawyers to go after it. Now full disclosure I have no dog in the fight and I just lurk /r/pcgaming but this has come up a fair amount of times there.

Reactions: SniperHF

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Ah yes this was the game that triggered PUBG so that they issued they lawyers to go after it. Now full disclosure I have no dog in the fight and I just lurk /r/pcgaming but this has come up a fair amount of times there.
So the biggest issue isn't that it's a Battle Royale game. And really they can't have an issue with that because even though Brendan Greene consulted on H1Z1, Sony was the first to market with a legitmate Battle Royale game so PUBG has no legs to stand on.

The issue PUBG really has is that Epic Games are the owners of the game engine. PUBG licences from Epic. So basically Fortnite got paid for "troubleshooting" because PUBG had obviously paid Epic Games when they ran into issues. Basically Epic could take what worked and what didn't work and add it to the game while getting paid by PUBG. Epic also gets a large cut of money from licensing.

Now the issue is that Fortnite has a far different gameplay style. It's very aracadey. And they've also not copied a lot of things like armor, helmets, etc etc etc. So aside from a few ideas, I don't think PUBG has a leg to stand on.

Last edited:
Reactions: G F O P

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Anyone playing this? There’s a free version and a bunch of paid versions. Not sure if the paid versions are worth it?
Okay so quick rundown;

Battle Royale is completely free. You can download and launch the game free of charge and head right into Battle Royale. Later on they will be adding paid cosmetics (probably characters/character customization).

Save the World (the PVE) game mode is what the paid options are for. There are 4 different packs that give you different head starts in the PVE game. I bought the second highest pack before I knew it was going to be free. The PVE game is actually very fun gameplay wise, but it also is very grindy. VERY grindy. There are pay options to speed up progression but I wouldn't call it pay to win since it DOES NOT EFFECT PVP in any way whatsoever. The in-game loot has got far better because it felt very bad at launch, almost like you had to pay. It doesn't feel so bad now. Their support is very slow as well but that's the case with most companies this day and age.

IMPORTANT
: Save the World will also be free starting in Spring-ish 2018.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I've been having tons of fun on Xbox. Fun, quick games for the most part, if you get eliminated quick, no biggie, you'll be in another lobby within minutes.

I've been intrigued by PUBG, but I don't have a computer that could ever dream of running it, and I had already bought the main Fortnite, so this was right up my alley. When PUBG ever makes it to console, I'm not sure I'll be buying it now. FBR is only going to get better, and the ways to play are nearly endless.

I was holed up in a house with a sliver of health last night from someone in a neighbor house, he'd blown most the walls down but it was obvious he had no more explosives, I dropped a trap and was sitting for about 2 minutes I realized, wtf. I don't have to sit here, smashed down the wall behind me and took off into the hills, about 30seconds later I got a kill notification, buddy must've said f*** it and rushed in. My favourite moment so far.

The fact that it's free is the icing on the cake. All my gaming buddies were able to download and jump right in.. No "I don't wanna buy", or "wait til next week".

Sep 19, 2008
"You had me at free"

Still gonna play PUBG every now and then but this game also seems fun and different enough. Really want to thank Natey for the writeup which explains the major differences.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
DUO & Supply Drops was released today. Thankfully they released DUOs early. My bro and I had a tough time competing against 4 man teams in squads haha. Got 1st on our 2nd game together.

Sounds stupid but hopefully they soon let you start to customize your character alittle more.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
DUO & Supply Drops was released today. Thankfully they released DUOs early. My bro and I had a tough time competing against 4 man teams in squads haha. Got 1st on our 2nd game together.

Sounds stupid but hopefully they soon let you start to customize your character alittle more.

Agreed, I think that's next, at he very least the ability to pick your character. New clothes and custom skins, I'm betting that's all in store for the future. It's awesome knowing this game is practically a newborn, and so good already.

Me and my squad won our first game tonight! In the end the last two of us ended up struggling with the storm more than players, we got lucky enough to barely survive and get the drop on 5 guys fighting and clear them out, picked some med packs up. The final circle was on the side of a mountain, I had tons of ammo and no building supplies and we were at the bottom, my mate built our way up and I kept our two opponents on their toes with cover fire, than they made a rookie mistake. They started to build out and over us to get the advantage, not realizing I was picking away at their bottom stair, game, set, match. They both fell to their deaths. Awesome.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Only played 1 solo game so far but I've gotten two wins in duos and six wins in squads so far, mostly carried by teammates :laugh:

Unfortunately, I didn't even win the game I had my highest kills in. It happened in a duos game with me having 8 kills and my teammate having 9. He died and I was in a 1v2 situation. I managed to down one guy with a nice sniper shot which gave me time to sneak up to their base while he was being revived since they were in the safe zone and I wasn't. The other guy was able to revive his teammate and I was able to down one of them again before being killed because I only had around 50 health at that point.

Really enjoying this game right now as a nice alternative to PUBG. It's an easier game to run and also feels easier to play.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Really enjoying this game right now as a nice alternative to PUBG. It's an easier game to run and also feels easier to play.

That's one of the reasons I'll shy away from PUBG when it drops on Xbox. It seems like a game that I'll have to put some serious time into playing and learning tactics, etc. Whereas FnBR is fun, I don't get a lot of time to play games, so ya nice to hop in a game and know I stand a fighting chance, even when I'm not a hardcore player.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That's one of the reasons I'll shy away from PUBG when it drops on Xbox. It seems like a game that I'll have to put some serious time into playing and learning tactics, etc. Whereas FnBR is fun, I don't get a lot of time to play games, so ya nice to hop in a game and know I stand a fighting chance, even when I'm not a hardcore player.
Not gonna lie... Fortnite takes an equal amount of skill. Maybe not the shooting, but knowing when to build, using building to throw up walls to block incoming fire, etc.

Reactions: tmurfin
Sep 19, 2008
Still have to learn how to build shit but it's very similar (look at the "Bus" you have to drop out of compared to the plane)

I do like the cartoon vibe though, reminds me a little of TF2. Is there any way to edit your character?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Still have to learn how to build **** but it's very similar (look at the "Bus" you have to drop out of compared to the plane)

I do like the cartoon vibe though, reminds me a little of TF2. Is there any way to edit your character?
Not yet but it will come. Probably loot boxes or something.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I am noticing as people are playing more, building is becoming abit more important. Especially if your pinned down and need cover, so you quickly build walls as protection.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Not gonna lie... Fortnite takes an equal amount of skill. Maybe not the shooting, but knowing when to build, using building to throw up walls to block incoming fire, etc.
I guess the fact that I played the original game for a bit before BR came out, the building is second nature to me already, it's such an awesome x-factor in this game.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Been playing this the last few days on Xbox, lot of fun

Its funny playing a game like this where you might not see a single enemy for 15 minutes yet its still exciting

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Won a game. I still don’t see how people like this unless your with friends.

Had a drop where I couldn’t get any supplies and almost killed a guy with a shotgun with a pickaxe tho. He had to have had like 10 health left

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Been playing this on my PS4. Really enjoying it. Won once and got second a couple times. I got my favorite spot I drop in at each time. Seems to be working out for me.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Been playing this on my PS4. Really enjoying it. Won once and got second a couple times. I got my favorite spot I drop in at each time. Seems to be working out for me.

Whats your go-to spot?

We usually do Flush Factory or the prison which no one ever seems to go to cause its not well labeled

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Whats your go-to spot?

We usually do Flush Factory or the prison which no one ever seems to go to cause its not well labeled

gPCJU3k.png

There's a house and also a shed next to it and there is almost always at least 1 chest in either. If no chest then usually 1 or 2 weapons in the house. Fly down on the shed and quickly break the roof to get the chest and run into the house. Rarely anyone will land there if they see me as well as I aim straight for it.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Another update! Seems like EPIC is serious (so far anyway) in keeping this going. Also confirmed that 10 million players have played the game, with this past Sunday, 3.7 million players played with a high of 525,000 players playing at the same time at it's peak.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/1-7-1-patch-notes

Won't quote everything but some of the things included:
1) Stats
2) Increased bus travel speed
3) Weapon inhancements
4) Added 3 new town names to map (Tomato Town, Dusty Depot, Salty Springs)

Fortnite%2Fblog%2F1-7-1-patch-notes%2FMiniMapAthena-2048x2048-257033270bfbd1f8bd239d3fc98dd2a6438e85e4.jpg

Also, the prison has become super popular recently. Been fighting ALOT of people there now.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Seems like there is a new leveling system, leaderboards, costumes all being released in today's update.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad