• Forsberg

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Nylander

Votes: 42 46.2%

• Total voters

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Forsberg is better… when he’s healthy. But it’s close enough that I’d at least consider taking the slightly inferior player if I knew I’d be getting full seasons out of that player.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
I thought you were asking about Peter Forsberg and Michael Nylander! :D

Slight edge to Nylander for me, he's younger, and health has been an issue for Forsberg. Plus Filip's contract runs til he's 35 or so, that might turn out bad.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Forsberg for me. And it really is not even remotely close.

Nylander might be the better playmaker, but Forsberg is underrated in that respect and is a better goal scorer.

Add in the size difference and even those Forsberg isn't a real "physical presence" in terms of hits and violence, he uses that size and reach so effectively, it has to be accounted for.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Nylander's obviously not an inferior player to Forsberg, that's crazy talk. Does Nylander come with some flaws, yes, absolutely he does, but we're comparing him to Filip Forsberg here for Christ's sake.

This is a classic example of a player in a smaller market being overrated, and a Toronto player being underrated because a lot of people hate Toronto. Nylander is infinitely more dynamic than Forsberg. His skating is absolute top tier elite, Nylander's is, even Maurice complimented him on it after their recent playoff series. I would say very few players in the league can match Nylander's natural offensive talent package, and Filip Forsberg is obviously not in the same universe.

Forsberg is playing in such an afterthought-environment, it seems people have completely forgot he went completely invisible in the 2017 SCFs when Nashville ran into injuries to their Cs. 1 point in 6 games against Pittsburgh, and it was an empty net point. He was outscored by the likes of Järnkrok, Sissons and Freddy Gaudreau.

Nylander can drive a line of his own, Forsberg absolutely can not.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander gets overshadowed by the fact he's got Matthews and Marner on the same team. His play driving abilities are imo incredibly underrated by a lot of folks

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Nylander's obviously not an inferior player to Forsberg, that's crazy talk. Does Nylander come with some flaws, yes, absolutely he does, but we're comparing him to Filip Forsberg here for Christ's sake.

This is a classic example of a player in a smaller market being overrated, and a Toronto player being underrated because a lot of people hate Toronto. Nylander is infinitely more dynamic than Forsberg. His skating is absolute top tier elite, Nylander's is, even Maurice complimented him on it after their recent playoff series. I would say very few players in the league can match Nylander's natural offensive talent package, and Filip Forsberg is obviously not in the same universe.

Forsberg is playing in such an afterthought-environment, it seems people have completely forgot he went completely invisible in the 2017 SCFs when Nashville ran into injuries to their Cs. 1 point in 6 games against Pittsburgh, and it was an empty net point. He was outscored by the likes of Järnkrok, Sissons and Freddy Gaudreau.

Nylander can drive a line of his own, Forsberg absolutely can not.
You mean the year he was 22? He didn’t have a Marner or Matthews caliber player ahead of him to shield him from the toughest competition. To say they are not even in the same universe for talent also seems harsh given their respective production.

Last edited:

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Nylander gets overshadowed by the fact he's got Matthews and Marner on the same team. His play driving abilities are imo incredibly underrated by a lot of folks
Hes a good player, but he's too cute. Tries to do too much.

Hockey is a simple game when the training wheels come off in the postseason. It's hard and fast and heavy. Cute players tend to struggle in that environment

Also, he's literally too cute. Like an adorable Swedish teddy bear

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You mean the year he was 22? He didn’t have a Marner or Matthews caliber player ahead of him to shield him from the toughest competition. To say they are not even in the same universe for talent also seems harsh given their respective production.

I think you might have had a better point here if Forsberg was say 19–20 years old and a sophomore player or something, rather than a 22-year old with back-to-back 30 goal seasons and over 250 RS games under his belt at that point. 23-year old teammate Viktor Arvidsson (with way less NHL games under his belt) was out there flying and hustling his ass off and was very visible. I'm not buying 1 year between the two would have made all the difference in the world, but chalk it down more to playing style.

By the way, I'm not claiming the 2017 SCFs is some greatly overbearing black mark on Forsberg's career in terms of his lack of production, because anyone can have a bad playoff series or get shut down by a strong team, but it was more of how it went down. He scored fine in those playoffs as long as Nashville had Johansen driving play, but when Johansen got injured Forsberg didn't step in and drive play in his place.

This Matthews/Marner argument is a bit of a chicken or egg argument, because it can be applied both ways in terms of opportunity. Nylander was even taken off PP1 in these playoffs because they're so loaded on his position (Marner), no ways in hell he gets taken off PP1 if he plays in Nashville.

Also, regarding Matthews/Marner playing tougher match-ups, when Nylander tied up Game 5 against the Panthers in the dying 5 minutes of the game, and gave the Leafs a chance to win in OT, he just blew by Brandon Montour. You don't think Matthews or Marner had ample opportunities in that series to blow by Montour, who logged the most minutes of all Florida Ds? You're making it sound here like Willy played the entire series worth of TOI against Mahura and Gudas.

Nikita Kucherov's played in two World Championship tournaments, in 2017 and 2019, scoring 31 points in 20 games. These two tournaments are also the only Worlds Willy's ever played in, his production: 32 points in 18 games.

When I say Willy and Forsberg are in different universes offensively I mean their overall offensive skillsets. Forsberg's up there when it comes to sniping, but hockey's more than just sniping.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Hes a good player, but he's too cute. Tries to do too much.

Hockey is a simple game when the training wheels come off in the postseason. It's hard and fast and heavy. Cute players tend to struggle in that environment

Also, he's literally too cute. Like an adorable Swedish teddy bear
Except for the fact that Nylander does just fine in the playoffs. Maybe you are talking about Marner, he does try to be too cute with the puck but Nylander has simplified his playstyle over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad