Former Red Wing play by play commentator Dave Strader passes away

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Strader was the play by play commentator 85-96 for the wings. He was known as the "voice"
Was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago. He was 62. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heaton

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Truly one of the best in the biz, hockey won't be the same without Dave's voice elevating the pbp experience. Hopefully the gratitude and respect of throngs of hockey fans will console in some small way the early rest he's been called to. May all PBP people strive to reach the high bar Mr. Strader set.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Us fans of a slightly older vintage grew up on Dave and Mickey. Seems like we've had Ken Daniels forever but I have so many fond memories of Strades calling games for the Wings. He will be missed. RIP.

(Jump to 2:00 for THAT goal)

Reactions: Winger98

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Us fans of a slightly older vintage grew up on Dave and Mickey. Seems like we've had Ken Daniels forever but I have so many fond memories of Strades calling games for the Wings. He will be missed. RIP.

(Jump to 2:00 for THAT goal)

Perfect video to post Shoalzie. What a great memory. Strader was a great play by play guy, and got to call that piece of history. Also it reminds me of the perserverience Yzerman had 13 years up til that point. And he would get his 1st cup a year later.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I also remember him from the 80's but his talent really shone at the national level. He was the best NBC broadcaster, no contest. Dave Strader left a mark on the game of hockey and will be missed by all.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I grew up watching him and Redmond call games. Strader will always be the voice of the Red Wings to me.

Definitely one of the best in the business. So sad to pass away at what is still a young age.

f*** cancer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad