Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Wally Harris)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
RDS just announced that former Capital and Nordique Réginald Savage passed away from cancer. No formal link yet.

34 NHL games. One of the very few player whose first NHL goal was on a penalty shot.

EDIT : Here is a French link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
RDS just announced that former Capital and Nordique Réginald Savage passed away from cancer. No formal link yet.

34 NHL games. One of the very few player whose first NHL goal was on a penalty shot.

Man, 53 is young. :(

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I can't remember Reggie Savage playing in the NHL, but remember his name from junior, then getting drafted in the 1st round, and then playing in the World Juniors (that was the very memorable Alaska World Juniors - aka the Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny tournament....and Roenick - Modano too).

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

EDIT : Here is a French link.

Damn. Reggie Savage was one of my first hockey heroes. My dad and I used to watch him play for the Cornwall Aces. 53, way too young. :(

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Gene Carr could indeed fly but unfortunately with the Rangers he was saddled with the famous line by broadcaster Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick -- "Gene Carr couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he was standing on the pier..."

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Going to try attaching a couple pdf files of articles from one of my local (Thunder Bay, ON Canada) papers (Port Arthur News Chronicle) of the time. Article from Feb 17, 1951 on Connie Madigan winning skating races at a Winter Carnival at age 16, and one from Mar 8,1955 on his suspensions during junior hockey.

Attachments

• PANC February 17 1951 p.8.pdf
    649 KB · Views: 2
  • PANC March 8 1955 p1.pdf
    377.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 3rd Username

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Rugged 1980s Flyers alum Glen Cochrane defenseman, who battled cancer as fiercely as he took on any rival on the ice, has passed away at the age of 65.​
Drafted by the Flyers in the third round (49th overall) of the 1978 NHL Draft, Cochrane rose through the ranks with the AHL’s Maine Mariners and spent parts of six seasons with the Flyers. “Cocher” was a regular or semi-regular starter for the team from 1981-82 to 1983-84. He is survived by his wife, Joan, and two daughters, Tegan and Shelby.​
Philadelphia Flyers official statement below:
"The Philadelphia Flyers are saddened to learn of the passing of Glen Cochrane. Glen was drafted by the Flyers and played over half of his NHL games, which included six seasons, in Orange & Black"​
A formidable and tough defenseman for the Flyers in the early 1980s, Cochrane was a key part of the Flyers blue line and ranks 10th all-time in team history in penalty minutes. He also helped the Flyers' American Hockey League affiliate, the Maine Mariners, win the Calder Cup Championship in 1979. He will forever be a member of the Flyers family. Our condolences go out to his wife, Joan, daughters, Tegan and Shelby, and entire family during this difficult time."​

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Blaine Lacher passed away on Monday. Sad to see - loved watching him in college and he was a shooting star in the pros.

Obituary: Blaine Lacher Obituary Medicine Hat Alberta, In Loving Memory Of Blaine Lacher – Death

1706806096375.png

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Currently some good dialogue on the SIHR distribution list about this report, noting that the link I shared above appears to be AI generated and no one can find a first-hand source.

Hopefully it's false.

UPDATE: SIHR member Tom Frost has unfortunately confirmed Lacher's death with family and friends. Kudos to those on the chain (some of whom are here but I won't out them) for questioning the initial source appropriately.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Are there any legit sources out there on Lacher because all I see are a couple obituary sites that anyone could write and nothing on a major news network.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Blaine Lacher, yeah. I remember him as that guy the Bruins pinned their future on. Had a flash in the pan type of season in 1995, looks like he never really toiled in the minors after being sent down in 1996 either. On the surface his numbers look lousy in the minors during that time too. So I don't know what happened with him for that one season in Boston. Did everything just line up for him that year? Because he sort of came out of nowhere and was able to make a mark and my guess is teams starting figuring him out. I guess he isn't the only goalie to have this happen to him, 1 season in the NHL with a playoff round against the eventual Cup champs is still more than most do.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Blaine Lacher, yeah. I remember him as that guy the Bruins pinned their future on. Had a flash in the pan type of season in 1995, looks like he never really toiled in the minors after being sent down in 1996 either. On the surface his numbers look lousy in the minors during that time too. So I don't know what happened with him for that one season in Boston. Did everything just line up for him that year? Because he sort of came out of nowhere and was able to make a mark and my guess is teams starting figuring him out. I guess he isn't the only goalie to have this happen to him, 1 season in the NHL with a playoff round against the eventual Cup champs is still more than most do.
Three reasons I'd suggest for the lack of success after 1995:

1. The defense in front of him changed. They lost solid vets in Dave Shaw and Jaime Huscroft that off-season and Kasatonov suffered a career ending shoulder injury partway through the year. They were replaced by Rick Zombo, an 18-year old Kyle McLaren, and a combination of Dean Chenowyth and Phil von Stefenelli. So a downgrade in that respect.

2. Coaching: Brian Sutter gone, Steve Kasper in - Kasper was horrendous and it can't be surprising that the physical defensive system they had under Sutter collapsed.

3. Most importantly IMO, if you watch games from 95 or 96, Lacher stands out (no pun intended) as one of the last pure stand-up goalies to break into the league. Stylistically he was already a relic post-94 lockout. If he'd entered the league 5 years earlier maybe he'd have had a longer career, but the systems going into effect around the league needed mobile butterfly goalies rather than stand-up ones.

I started getting into hockey in 1995 when Fox got the contract to show them, and I remember the Lach Ness Monster as a rookie sensation, so this really sucks.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Three reasons I'd suggest for the lack of success after 1995:

1. The defense in front of him changed. They lost solid vets in Dave Shaw and Jaime Huscroft that off-season and Kasatonov suffered a career ending shoulder injury partway through the year. They were replaced by Rick Zombo, an 18-year old Kyle McLaren, and a combination of Dean Chenowyth and Phil von Stefenelli. So a downgrade in that respect.

2. Coaching: Brian Sutter gone, Steve Kasper in - Kasper was horrendous and it can't be surprising that the physical defensive system they had under Sutter collapsed.

3. Most importantly IMO, if you watch games from 95 or 96, Lacher stands out (no pun intended) as one of the last pure stand-up goalies to break into the league. Stylistically he was already a relic post-94 lockout. If he'd entered the league 5 years earlier maybe he'd have had a longer career, but the systems going into effect around the league needed mobile butterfly goalies rather than stand-up ones.

I started getting into hockey in 1995 when Fox got the contract to show them, and I remember the Lach Ness Monster as a rookie sensation, so this really sucks.

I agree particularly on #3 - watching him now is like unearthing a time capsule. I also think that Lacher was run into the ground early in his Boston career (in that grand Bruins tradition following Mike Moffat). He played a lot in a compressed schedule.

Found this nice "where are they now" article from 2017 yesterday when I was looking for a legit obit:

Fascinating guy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Jean Guy Talbot, one of the last member of the fifties Habs dynasty, and member of the 1000+ NHL games, passed away at 91.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad