Former Ducks Thread II: AKA Wild Bill is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We got pettersson Larsson welinski and then mahura coming with lindholm Fowler manson Montour for a long time we'll be fine....lol we have one of the best d situations in the league.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We got pettersson Larsson welinski and then mahura coming with lindholm Fowler manson Montour for a long time we'll be fine....lol we have one of the best d situations in the league.
I was talking about now. Sure some prospects are coming up but they don`t project to be as good as the situation we had 2 years back.

We are not bad, but we were better some time ago, was kind of my point. The initial comment was just about Vats

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We're talking about the present, not the future, so Mahura and Larsson are pretty meaningless. So is Welinski for this season honestly since they just don't seem to think that highly of him.

No one has said our future on the blueline isn't incredibly bright. You can lol all you want but we are one injury to Montour/Manson away from our coach putting Bieksa back with Fowler playing big minutes.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I was talking about now. Sure some prospects are coming up but they don`t project to be as good as the situation we had 2 years back.

We are not bad, but we were better some time ago, was kind of my point. The initial comment was just about Vats
I think its too early to say personally... the big piece missing would be despres.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Forgot we had Theodore as depth last year too.

For as much crap as he took last year (a lot of it deserving), I thought he was more NHL ready than Pettersson is right now

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
We went from
Lindholm
Fowler
Manson
Vatanen
Montour
Theodore
Bieksa
Holzer
Megna etc

To

Lindholm
Fowler
Manson
Montour
Bieksa
Beauchemin
Pettersson
Holzer
Megna etc

The second group is a pretty significant downgrade from the first.

There is a difference between being worse and being depleted.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
We're talking about the present, not the future, so Mahura and Larsson are pretty meaningless. So is Welinski for this season honestly since they just don't seem to think that highly of him.

No one has said our future on the blueline isn't incredibly bright. You can lol all you want but we are one injury to Montour/Manson away from our coach putting Bieksa back with Fowler playing big minutes.

Okay, and without Henrique we were 1 injury away to Getzlaf or Kesler from having Grant or Vermette play top line minutes. Kesler being highly probable since he is limping around every game.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Okay, and without Henrique we were 1 injury away to Getzlaf or Kesler from having Grant or Vermette play top line minutes. Kesler being highly probable since he is limping around every game.
Where did I say trading Vatanen for Henrique was the wrong move?

I've been saying Vermette was a trash 3C since before it was cool (early last year)

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Our defense situation both now and in the future is one of the best in the league if not the best.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Pettersson has been good. I think I disagree with everyone about him. He's been smart and safe and had a few good chances. He's got a great stick.

Kinda how I felt about Theo while he was here.

As for Pettersson, I agree he's been good. I'd like to see Welinski alongside him on that 3rd pairing though.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Kinda how I felt about Theo while he was here.

As for Pettersson, I agree he's been good. I'd like to see Welinski alongside him on that 3rd pairing though.

Next year hopefully.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Pettersson has been good. I think I disagree with everyone about him. He's been smart and safe and had a few good chances. He's got a great stick.

Not everyone. I'm with you on that. I've been pretty pleased with his game so far. There have been some mistakes that I'd say are of the rookie variety, but the learning curve for a rookie playing NHL defense is really f***ing steep.

He moves well on the ice, could afford to get stronger, but like you said he has a real good stick and the reach to really take advantage of it. His decisions have been cautious and unsure at times, but overall I think smart and safe is a good description.

Reactions: mightyquack
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Not everyone. I'm with you on that. I've been pretty pleased with his game so far. There have been some mistakes that I'd say are of the rookie variety, but the learning curve for a rookie playing NHL defense is really ****ing steep.

He moves well on the ice, could afford to get stronger, but like you said he has a real good stick and the reach to really take advantage of it. His decisions have been cautious and unsure at times, but overall I think smart and safe is a good description.
Yeah he definitely needs to get stronger, but there's a lot of good bones there.

Reactions: Kalv and Sojourn

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
100% agree. I've liked Petersson's game since he's come in, and I love that he uses his reach to his advantage so much - something I didn't think Megna really did all that much when he was up from San Diego fopr example. The big thing is Petersson seems a smart player on the ice, if he can add some muscle in the next couple of years we've got a pretty solid defenceman on our hands (again).

Reactions: Boogernaut

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I like Pettesson more than I liked Megna and Welinski, although I didn't really have many problems with either one. Pettersson is like the polar opposite of Bieksa — he knows he can't sometimes handle situations, so he always makes the cautious choice, sometimes even when he doesn't have to. It hardly ever burns him, at most just slows us down a little bit which isn't that big of a problem.

And I 100% agree with Sojourn. The learning curve for rookie defensemen in the NHL is so bloody steep that the fact he looks cautious-but-handling-himself out there is already way more than I was expecting.

Reactions: Kalv

ayrton2388

May 23, 2014
In Switzerland, Emerson Etem is currently turning his career around.
Having scored 0 goals and 0 assists in 5 NLA games, he ends his 1st regular season with a grand total of 0 points.

I really feel sorry for that dude.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Really sad, he was so promising. Even with his shortcomings, he started his career off somewhat promising.

A proof that you can never really say ''well if things don`t work out at the veery least he will be a speedy/physical bottom 6er with a lot of energy''

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It's like he expended all of his skill in that one moment against Trouba in the playoffs, and can never be a complete hockey player ever again.
I love watching that goal. If you have no idea who Etem is that's an incredibly skilled goal, but if you had been watching him for years you would know it was pretty much a complete accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad