Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
last five days,

alex burrows: 2 pts

vancouver canucks: __ pts

my post from yesterday still works

i love you alex burrows

Alex Burrows prepares to hit what could be his last major milestone

91ef9e5984f71b453998d03ed55860b0
DON BRENNAN
Published on: March 12, 2018 | Last Updated: March 12, 2018 11:01 PM PDT
upload_2018-3-15_10-16-31.jpg

Ottawa Senators right wing Alexandre Burrows (14) celebrates his goal against Vegas Golden Knights goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury late in the third period of an NHL hockey game Friday, March 2, 2018, in Las Vegas. L.E. BASKOW / AP

SUNRISE, Fla. — Alex Burrows will play his 900th NHL game on Tuesday in Tampa, and he’s realistic enough to know that he may very well never reach 1,000.

In fact, less than a month from his 37th birthday, Burrows understands he might not get a chance to fulfill the final year of his current deal next season with the Senators, who could opt to buy him out.

[...]

“I understand the business side of things, too. The cap era you’ve got to make sure you develop some young guys, especially in the situation we’re in right now. If the organization is feeling they want to kind of rebuild or retool or whatever you want to call it, normally that goes with a lot of young guys.”

Reaching the 900-game mark was special for Burrows, who was never drafted.

Alex Burrows prepares to hit what could be his last major milestone

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Teammates

Gustav Forsling - 1 goal, 2 assists, 25 games - Rockford Icedogs

Adam Clendenning - 2 goals, 18 assists, 25 games - Rockford Icedogs

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Which of these 3 options - A, B or C, would you rather have within your Vancouver Canucks Orgznization right now?

A. Maxime Lapierre - Lugano
B. Frederic Andersen - Maple Leafs
C. Maxime Comtios and Sam Steel - Anaheim

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Which of these 3 options - A, B or C, would you rather have within your Vancouver Canucks Orgznization right now?

This sounds dangerously hypothetical.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Which of these 2 options - A or B, would you rather have within your Vancouver Canucks Organization right now?

A) Raphael Diaz - EV ZUG
B) Adam Gaudette - Northeastern University (Vancouver Canucks)

If Gillis hadnt traded Diaz at the deadline for a pick (strange concept, eh?), the Canucks may never draft Gaudette.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Mccann ANOTHER multi point game. 3 already so far. Sigh... :(

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Which of these 2 options - A or B, would you rather have within your Vancouver Canucks Organization right now?

A) Raphael Diaz - EV ZUG
B) Adam Gaudette - Northeastern University (Vancouver Canucks)

If Gillis hadnt traded Diaz at the deadline for a pick (strange concept, eh?), the Canucks may never draft Gaudette.

Unbelievable how we used to be able to get picks for junk and now we have a GM constantly on the other end of these deals..

Although I liked Diaz at the time.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I didn't realize how bad of a season Schneider has had with the Devils this year. He's having a worse season than Markstrom who is the whipping boy for half of our fans on here. I was furious about that trade at the time but it's turned out to be one of our best trades in the past decade.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't know how anyone can argue that we didn't come out on the winning end of that trade anymore.

NJ probably looks very different too and for the better. Schneider did a decent job helping the team almost make the playoffs a few times during his prime but they might have had someone like Domi and a better seed in the McDavid/Matthews lotteries if they don't make that trade.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I didn't realize how bad of a season Schneider has had with the Devils this year. He's having a worse season than Markstrom who is the whipping boy for half of our fans on here. I was furious about that trade at the time but it's turned out to be one of our best trades in the past decade.
As pointed out by Jackson McDonald on Canucks Army, nothing Benning has done since the Schneider trade has contributed more to rebuilding the Canucks than this one Gillis move.

one last stojanov OT (where did that discussion come from?)
I will just move this to this thread, but I used the Stojanov selection as an example of a non-Benning decision, from a general manager I genuinely respect in Pat Quinn, that I feel was immediately indefensible and simply based on incorrect thinking. (In this case, winning a fight against Eric Lindros in junior = effective NHL player). Obviously there's more to it (I'd hope) than the one fight, but it was endlessly talked about when he was drafted, as though that would somehow help win hockey games – I have zero doubt it is disproportionately responsible for his high ranking, even if it only bumped him up five spots.

Note that the consensus overrating of a guy like Stojanov doesn't change the fact that it is, I feel, an objectively bad valuation based on irrelevant factors. It just means that a lot of guys were suckers for conventional wisdom. (This should be unsurprising based on what we know about "hockey guys" in 1991). I mean, look at the Brian Burke quote about what he'd bring to the table – he's openly admitting he won't be as useful in things-that-matter-for-hockey than some other guys could be, but he would rack up a lot of penalty minutes. Joy.

This was an illustration of how, I think, questioning arguments and the views of the people making them because the reasoning behind them is unsound is not simply "ganging up" or an "echo chamber". There are often right and wrong answers. There was a time when the supporting data was not widely available. But these days it is, and we have a much better idea of a player's contribution than we used to... (although I would argue plenty of the false causations were pretty intuitive even at the time, we're just better armed now). It's why a lot of the "Sure, he causes the team to lose but leadership/boards-rattling!!" lines of thinking triggers a lot of us.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Thing is, Kinkead's year-over-year stats are down this year too. Cory has done his part there until the last two seasons. Probably with such a young team and less defensive than in the past it is harder for their goalies.

As for the trade, I do own a Schneider jersey. But even a #2 center is better than an elite goalie, especially considering where they were at the time - Gillis was angling for a rebuild. Ironically, Cory ended up in exactly the same situation in NJ and he's basically held the fort for no reason for four seasons.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The trade which brought Ehrhoff to Vancouver sent Daniel Rahimi to San Jose - and if you've been following Elias Pettersson, you'll remember Rahimi is now one of Pettersson's teammates in Växjö

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My hats off to Christian Erhoff on a solid career.

Not sure wtf happened to you in Buffalo and beyond, but you were an absolute gem for us and I am forever greatful. Enjoy retirement!

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
f*** the greedy prick. He could have been paid fair market value and remained on a contender feeding pucks to two future hall of famers.

No one was going to compete with that ridiculously front loaded contract.

..... I seriously don't blame a guy for chasing the money... I'm just bitter. Him leaving was more of a devastating blow to this team then a lot of us realized at the time.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
**** the greedy prick. He could have been paid fair market value and remained on a contender feeding pucks to two future hall of famers.

No one was going to compete with that ridiculously front loaded contract.

..... I seriously don't blame a guy for chasing the money... I'm just bitter. Him leaving was more of a devastating blow to this team then a lot of us realized at the time.

not having 2009-2011 ehrhoff was a huge blow to the team. but don't forget that ehrhoff was never the same.

in those two years here he scored 94 points.

in his three years in buffalo, he scored 87 points. one year was a 48 game lockout year, but still.

but don't mind me. i'm still sad that we never freed ballard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->