Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Will be interesting to see how much of an effect Melanson's coaching will have on Lack in NJ.

I didn't even notice Eddie was back with Rollie. What a smart move by the Devils. But of course, as imac told us, the Canucks had no choice but to let Rollie go. He wanted to be close to his family in Montreal and NB. So he moved to New Jersey. The flight home is now a couple hours shorter, I guess. They had no choice but to lose him!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Wouldnt Ryan Stanton HAVE been a better option as a 6/7 dman then $4millundanson

Reactions: dim jim

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Every once in a while a former Canuck will randomly pop into my head that I had completely (or thought I did) forgot about... a player who I haven't seen mentioned once in a post in years or heard his name on a broadcast or news or anything.....

Todays mystery Canuck is.....

wait for it.....

Darren Langdon.

upload_2018-2-24_12-33-51.png

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Every once in a while a former Canuck will randomly pop into my head that I had completely (or thought I did) forgot about... a player who I haven't seen mentioned once in a post in years or heard his name on a broadcast or news or anything.....

Todays mystery Canuck is.....

wait for it.....

Darren Langdon.

View attachment 100273

Acquired at the same time as Marek Malik, immediately preceding a 10-game winning streak.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
is this where we talk about the olympics? because there was one shift in the second period last night where i was like, damn ehrhoff still got it. rushed the puck like a boss, big heavy shot from the point. then he was invisible the rest of the way.

i also spent most of the game being like, who is this striking gentleman behind the german bench and why do they keep showing him like i'm supposed to know who he is? invisible or not, marco sturm you probably lost the game not having hoff out there manning the point on that late PP. and yeezus, seidenberg's brother sure pulled an edler didn't he?

and then of course there is willie.

That is beyond inexcusable. Desjardins had no answer for it, but then he had no answer for almost anything else.
oly-hko-canada-germany-20180223.jpg

Canadian coach Willie Desjardins speaks to his team after losing to Germany on Feb. 23.Nathan Denette / The Canadian Press
But on the way to defeat and the greatest victory in the not-memorable history of German hockey, Desjardins had much to answer for. He didn’t change lines. He didn’t change styles. He didn’t adjust to the Germans’ trapping ways. He didn’t shorten his bench when he needed to. He continued to use ineffective players.

And in a four-on-four situation late in the game, down a goal, the Canadian coach put fourth-liners Eric O’Dell and Maxim Lapierre on the ice.

Up a goal, that makes perfect sense. Down a goal, it’s ludicrous.

Losing is one thing. Beating yourself is another. Canadian hockey expects and deserves better than that.

“I think we could have won gold,” said Robinson, his eyes bright red, a welt beneath his right eye. “We’re not happy with this. We will never be.”

but then i guess it's probably gillis' fault. i mean, if he had just signed ehrhoff to that ten year/one hundred billion dollar contract germany's best player wouldn't even have been in the olympics. why does he hate canada so much?

Reactions: geebaan

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Burrows on waivers, would love to claim him for the veteran leadership that we lose when Vanek gets traded. I cannot help but think how bad it’s going to be next year when the Sedins don’t come back. I have no idea why they would. This is going to get ugly, all time worst team ugly is my guess.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Huge pass on Burrows.

Well this might be the end for Burrows in terms of his NHL career. It would be nice to have Burrows retire as a Canuck. If Vanek gets traded, whose spot would Burrows be taking? Nick Dowd's?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Burrows on waivers, would love to claim him for the veteran leadership that we lose when Vanek gets traded. I cannot help but think how bad it’s going to be next year when the Sedins don’t come back. I have no idea why they would. This is going to get ugly, all time worst team ugly is my guess.

You've sat watching this team for the last 5 years, especially these last 3, and are afraid of how bad it might get if the sedins go?

2 lowest scoring teams in our history already.

Reactions: racerjoe

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You've sat watching this team for the last 5 years, especially these last 3, and are afraid of how bad it might get if the sedins go?

I expect that to change as some of our forward prospects work their way into the lineup. My biggest & continuing concern is the blueline. Demko is going to get alot of practice during the game in dealing with scoring chances.....

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd easily take Burr if not for the fact that he's on a 35+ contract for next year, so even if he retires there's still a big ding on the cap.

Would 100% take him along with a pick though.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

Yup, I think it can get worse.. Much worse.. and I think its going to...

That is how incompetent this management team is. If the Sedin's retire, they will run out and pay Kane a ton of money and he will destroy the locker room and will be untradable.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I know this was posted before, I feel like it needs to be reposted for the sake of more exposure: Gilman: Canucks scouting, drafting struggles in Gillis era

The whole interview was insightful, but the most interesting bit started around 15:35, when Gilman was questioned about Canucks scouting structure and Ron Delorme.

This is fascinating.

Essentially they did a study and realized they were undervaluing WHL and overvaluing QMJHL, and implicitly says that Delorme was a good scout but not a good manager of scouts and that likely caused systemic issues.

Gilman also implies that they did not follow their draft list "to the letter of the law" and that ended up hurting them, i.e they probably had a list and then Delorme second guessed it/let guys sway him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad