Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Helpful reminder: remember to log in. It cleans up threads quite nicely.

Anyways....Kass after a slow start has picked it up. Playing a 4th line, PK role and back on pace for 25-30 points.
And he just broke Dubinsky's face.

Dorsett, Prust, Gudbranson do not have the capability to do that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And he just broke Dubinsky's face.

Dorsett, Prust, Gudbranson do not have the capability to do that.
They were sober while they were here.

Who cares about breaking another guy's face? You think someone won't take a run at mcdavid and others over the remaining 50 games this year?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They were sober while they were here.
Their play just caused fans to be off the wagon.;)

Who cares about breaking another guy's face? You think someone won't take a run at mcdavid and others over the remaining 50 games this year?
You can take runs at Canuck star players (ie., back when the Sedins actually were legit 1st liners) without alot of repercussions (ie., Macho Man flying elbow by Duncan Keith). You take a run at McDavid & you can be sure if it's a Canuck - that player woul get a significant suspension.

Heck, Ferland had a freaking immunity idol against us in our last playoff series with them.

Reactions: Bovinder Horvatji

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
It's just sad and shows a team who constantly sells low. I mean we don't have to trade a guy if he isn't in our plans.
Weird/bad reading of that quote. If they've been trying to trade Subban for awhile, that means they were trying to sell him not at a low (this season), but rather at a high, if you can call it that, when he was an AHL all-star last season.

Of course you should trade a guy if he isn't in your plans, like giving Kassian a new opportunity in Montreal. It's good for the player to get a new chance, and it's good for the organization as it technically should free up spots to develop players more in line with your overall plan.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Talking about former Canucks, Gilman is the most painful radio "personality" I've ever listened to. Absolutely stunning that such a double-talker, substanceless lawyer-bot could ever have risen as far as he did though our organization. Embarrassing to have this slug still slithering around our team, still whinnying about getting back in the NHL. Fat chance.

Reactions: Nomobo

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Weird/bad reading of that quote. If they've been trying to trade Subban for awhile, that means they were trying to sell him not at a low (this season), but rather at a high, if you can call it that, when he was an AHL all-star last season.

Of course you should trade a guy if he isn't in your plans, like giving Kassian a new opportunity in Montreal. It's good for the player to get a new chance, and it's good for the organization as it technically should free up spots to develop players more in line with your overall plan.

All I can do is laugh... this is just a great deflection... Bravo. Way to twist what I was saying to try and make it sound like something else.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
All I can do is laugh... this is just a great deflection... Bravo. Way to twist what I was saying to try and make it sound like something else.
Well what you were saying didn't have much substance to begin with so not much to twist. But please enlighten me how my reply did so, as I seemed to be directly addressing your post's content.

Maybe there's little point: the rest of this post just seems like a randomly-generated assortment of this forum's buzz words of "debate" i.e. "deflection" when cornered in the space of a wrongheaded idea, with others liking it to make you feel a little better.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Well what you were saying didn't have much substance to begin with so not much to twist. But please enlighten me how my reply did so, as I seemed to be directly addressing your post's content.

Maybe there's little point: the rest of this post just seems like a randomly-generated assortment of this forum's buzz words of "debate" i.e. "deflection" when cornered in the space of a wrongheaded idea, with others liking it to make you feel a little better.
Yeah you cornered him alright

Thank god subbans gone so we can develop Dowd and Sautner :laugh:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Your last paragraph is pretty funny. I enjoyed it. I made one statement and complemented you. Yet the second paragraph here makes it sound like I went on some big rant. I have a giant smile on my face.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean we don't have to trade a guy if he isn't in our plans.

You don't, but you should.

Talking about former Canucks, Gilman is the most painful radio "personality" I've ever listened to. Absolutely stunning that such a double-talker, substanceless lawyer-bot could ever have risen as far as he did though our organization. Embarrassing to have this slug still slithering around our team, still whinnying about getting back in the NHL. Fat chance.

I don't think Gilman is good on the radio. In reality, the only reason to listen to him is to see if he will divulge any insider stories/accounts but there's only so much there.

And I think you're mistaken about him. He didn't "rise" through our organization at all. He was hired as an AGM and remained in that role until he was let go. His work managing the cap is seen as good. He was respected enough to be hired by the NHL to help with the expansion process. I never believed in his ability to be a GM or to scout players, but there are things that he's obviously competent in doing. He could easily be an AGM for another team helping with cap management and contract negotiations. The AGM part can just be a title, but I think that he hasn't been interested in taking on a job with an NHL team where he isn't involved in the team building process.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s cute

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Well, at least he can talk in real sentences and even without throwing "like" and "you know" all the time unlike someone else.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... Gilman ...His work managing the cap is seen as good. He was respected enough to be hired by the NHL to help with the expansion process. I never believed in his ability to be a GM or to scout players, but there are things that he's obviously competent in doing. He could easily be an AGM for another team helping with cap management and contract negotiations. ...

Going by this, it seems that your view is that a GM who isn't any good at cap management and contract negotiations can hire someone to fill in that gap in his ability, but someone who isn't good at scouting can't and scouting ability is an absolute requirement to being being a GM.

Imo the GM's main responsibility is asset and cap management and contract negotiations and they require at least as much ability as scouting. Just as a scouting GM can surround himself with competence in other areas, a non-scouting GM can surround himself with scouting expertise.

Of course the worst is someone who doesn't understand his own weaknesses so doesn't make provision to deal with it in some way. An example of that was Benning firing Gilman and Henning, promoting Weisbrod to fill Gilman's former role.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Willie D and most of our Olympic team playing on TSN right now. Lots of ex Canucks on this team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Can you guys believe that Mike Gillis got fired the one year he didn’t take this team to the playoffs? He had this team go 6/7 years making the playoffs, so six years in a row, with his last missing. He was then fired.

Does anyone else just find that fascinating? How a GM who takes a team to six straight years of playoffs and then misses once is then fired right after?

Why was Gillis never given the benefit of the doubt but somehow Benning is after doing whatever the f*** he is doing here. This team is arguably much further behind in a rebuild than a should be. We are another 2-4 years from actually putting something on the ice that is playoff worthy.

I dont want to hear this bullshit on a Bette future, a better prospect pool blah blah...yeah because drafting top 5 every year is such a tough task...well for Benning it technically is. Drafting in the top 5 of the second round and every single round following is such a tough task. And now we are learning Benning hardly had a hand in the 2017 draft...so why the benefit of the doubt, Aquilini?

Gillis want the better drafter, sure, no one will argue however let’s not pretend he was drafting in the top end of every single round. It’s not an excuse, he should’ve produced more over his tenure through the draft, but now people are acting all shocked we have decent prospects now? My god.

I would’ve liked to have at least seen what MG would’ve done for another two years, I think he earned at least another year to tear this shit down like he wanted to.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I think its clear Gillis clashed with ownership to some extent, this is what got him on a short leash and subsequently fired after one bad year.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Can you guys believe that Mike Gillis got fired the one year he didn’t take this team to the playoffs? He had this team go 6/7 years making the playoffs, so six years in a row, with his last missing. He was then fired.

Does anyone else just find that fascinating? How a GM who takes a team to six straight years of playoffs and then misses once is then fired right after?

Why was Gillis never given the benefit of the doubt but somehow Benning is after doing whatever the **** he is doing here. This team is arguably much further behind in a rebuild than a should be. We are another 2-4 years from actually putting something on the ice that is playoff worthy.

I dont want to hear this bull**** on a Bette future, a better prospect pool blah blah...yeah because drafting top 5 every year is such a tough task...well for Benning it technically is. Drafting in the top 5 of the second round and every single round following is such a tough task. And now we are learning Benning hardly had a hand in the 2017 draft...so why the benefit of the doubt, Aquilini?

Gillis want the better drafter, sure, no one will argue however let’s not pretend he was drafting in the top end of every single round. It’s not an excuse, he should’ve produced more over his tenure through the draft, but now people are acting all shocked we have decent prospects now? My god.

I would’ve liked to have at least seen what MG would’ve done for another two years, I think he earned at least another year to tear this **** down like he wanted to.

The average hockey fan oddly enough doesn't know a lot about hockey. The average hockey fan is also quite vocal. Also it seems that the Canucks ownership consisted of average hockey fans.
It sucks for everyone here who is wise to what's going on, especially those who recognized it from the start, but honestly this fanbase doesn't deserve much better. I'm not just talking about the executives who are there because it's a hot ticket while real fans can't afford to go. Lots of the real fans of this fanbase were complicit with Gillis' dismissal and were thrilled about it. Then they attacked anyone who tried to sound the alarms that these guys have no idea what they're doing.

We might recognize those posters here since the HFCanucks board is pretty anti-Benning. Even at the start of his tenure it was closer but as soon as that first draft happened a lot of people jumped ship. That's not the case for the rest of the fanbase though. It's taken years for like 45% of Canuck fans to think Benning and Linden have to go. Not even the majority.

Just to be fair, I'm not saying Canucks fans deserve this or anything. This isn't sour grapes where I'm enjoying the suffering of other fans. Nor am I making myself out to be better than these people, although I do think that the average poster here is far more knowledgeable than the majority of hockey fans. However, the customer is always right and the customers of Vancouver hockey are overwhelmingly anti-Gillis, pro-Benning. Just like they were overwhelmingly in favour of throwing away our fast skilled team to try to bring in some toughness like Prust, Sbisa and if we were lucky enough Lucic. Aquilini deserves so much blame in this, but at the same time he's literally just giving fans what they want. Based on their demands for the team, they may as well be asking for a bottom team directly.

In regards to firing the current regime, it's not that simple. I mean it is, but it's understandable why it isn't to some people. Firing Benning now rests the blame solely on Aquilini. It's a giant "whoops my bad", and fans won't be happy. Even the ones who still like Benning will probably be mad that he wasn't given enough time. Not only that, he hired everyone's favorite all time Canuck Trevor Linden to be the face of the franchise. Ticket sales were in the tank right before Gillis was fired so it's not surprising he brought in an old face to get the fans excited. Turns out Linden is utterly incompetent and now Aquilini has to be the guy to fire the face of Vancouver hockey. To some he'll be the one who brought him in and ruined the team, and to others he'll be the guy who left Linden with a tarnished legacy because in their minds Linden didn't get enough time.

The fact of the matter is that while firing Benning/Linden is a huge win for the on ice product, it's not a win in terms of PR towards the average fan of this team, since a huge majority of the average fans still like these bozos. Aquilini put himself in a pretty uncomfortable position.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Adam Clendening and Gustav Forsling are back together again in Chicago....good things always seem to happen to those who just wait.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
2018-men-olympic-raymond-e.jpg
2018-men-olympic-ebbett-e.jpg
2018-men-olympic-roy-e.jpg

2018-men-olympic-vey-e.jpg
2018-men-olympic-lapierre-e.jpg

2018-men-olympic-gragnani-e.jpg

2018-oly-staff-men-desjardins-e.jpg

Status