Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Beautiful overtime goal by Forsling.
Haha i was looking for this thread to post what you just did. OT goal PLUS 2 assists for a THREE point night. Hows Clennddenning doing btw?? :shakehead

:cry:

Benning

:rant:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Did Chicago do a great job of developing Forsling (i.e. unlocking his potential), or did Benning really have this "gem" on his hands and simply passed him up? I think it was the former. Most of you think it was the latter.

One of the reasons why Chicago has been great for so long in my opinion, is because they know how to DEVELOP prospects.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Did Chicago do a great job of developing Forsling (i.e. unlocking his potential), or did Benning really have this "gem" on his hands and simply passed him up? I think it was the former. Most of you think it was the latter.

One of the reasons why Chicago has been great for so long in my opinion, is because they know how to DEVELOP prospects.

First team all-star at the wjhc his draft plus-1 while still a member of the Canucks. He was a 5th round pick playing NHL games in his first year in North America. He made the Blackhawks out of camp in 2016-17

I don't see a whole lot of Blackhawks development. A summer development camp perhaps.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Benning is shit at evaluating talent and he's bad at developing players. It's both. Good of you to bring that up.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

Dude seriously? This guy basically played so well he went straight to the NHL as a 5th rounder. The lengths you specifically will go to defend Benning gets a little ridiculous sometimes.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Fair enough. Oversight on my part with regards to Forsling/Clandenning. I should have done my research instead of just assuming that Chicago developed him a little within their system.

As a whole however, Benning has still done an excellent job as a GM. No GM bats 1.000 and I’m sure Benning would be the first to admit that he screwed the pooch with Forsling/Clandenning.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Benning is **** at evaluating talent and he's bad at developing players. It's both. Good of you to bring that up.

Uhhhhh yeah. Boeser says hi. So does Sven Baertschi.....a reclamation project straight out of Utica. Good for me to bring that up.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Uhhhhh yeah. Boeser says hi. So does Sven Baertschi.....a reclamation project straight out of Utica. Good for me to bring that up.

You just summed up the only two good things he did among his sea of idiotic mistakes and major f*** ups. Talk about blind optimism. Of course, now you're going to try really hard to spin some mediocre or crappy moves and call it amazing. Have at it, I always enjoy watching some mental gymnastics.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
if i had to guess i’d venture that benning still has no idea who gustav forsling is

There was an article last year where he said he didn't regret the trade. Patted himself on the back for his brilliant scouting of Forsling, who he knew would be good, and basically threw the scouts under the bus for their poor evaluation of clendening.

It was nauseating stuff.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Seems to be a lot of hind site going on in this thread. Go look at the first few pages of the Forsling for Clendening thread, it is about a 3:1 ratio of fans for the trade vs against it at the time.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/chi-van-gustav-forsling-traded-for-adam-clendening.1823701/

Yup, I remember I liked it.

But here's the distinction. These reactions are fans, not pro-scouts. Nobody on here gets paid to scout pro-players. Benning, and his pro-scouts, watched both Forsling and Clendenning and decided that Clendenning would be a better bet then Forsling. That's a giant mistake on the part of Benning and his pro-scouts.

You can also point to many instances where our pro-scouts under Benning vastly overestimate the effectiveness of a player. Gudbranson comes to mind, so does Sutter. It's become rather clear that this regime cannot pro-scout to save their own lives.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Seems to be a lot of hind site going on in this thread. Go look at the first few pages of the Forsling for Clendening thread, it is about a 3:1 ratio of fans for the trade vs against it at the time.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/chi-van-gustav-forsling-traded-for-adam-clendening.1823701/
To be fair, almost nobody had actually scouted Clendening before. I hadn’t and that’s why I was cautiously optimistic about the trade but was still upset about trading Forsling given what he was doing in Sweden at his age. There were a few people who did watch him in the AHL and iirc were much less optimistic about the trade.

Benning has a ton of scouts at his disposal and targeted Clendening despite the brutal flaws in his game.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
To be fair, almost nobody had actually scouted Clendening before. I hadn’t and that’s why I was cautiously optimistic about the trade but was still upset about trading Forsling given what he was doing in Sweden at his age. There were a few people who did watch him in the AHL and iirc were much less optimistic about the trade.

Benning has a ton of scouts at his disposal and targeted Clendening despite the brutal flaws in his game.

Also, the guys who are pro trade are not exactly regulars. I have never seen many of them post in the time I've been here. Looks like randoms from other fan bases.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

And how quickly did those fans change their minds after they watched Clendening for themselves?

The comments that people only disliked the trade because they are Benning haters are pretty rich.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Fair enough. Oversight on my part with regards to Forsling/Clandenning. I should have done my research instead of just assuming that Chicago developed him a little within their system.

As a whole however, Benning has still done an excellent job as a GM. No GM bats 1.000 and I’m sure Benning would be the first to admit that he screwed the pooch with Forsling/Clandenning.
Hahaha wow... excellent job as a Gm? You must think Loui Erickson and Brendan Sutter are deserving of those contracts. Oh also Sam Gagner too. The guy is the worst Gm in the league.

Reactions: Peter10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad