Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
So he was responsible for Virtanen but not the other picks? Sounds plausible.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So he was responsible for Virtanen but not the other picks? Sounds plausible.

You can look at it which ever way you want but it doesn't change the end result and that's even with his supposed strength he has failed. But I digress given this isn't the management thread.

Someday soon I hope we can do all of our Benning and Linden talk in this thread.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Huh? He still drafted Forsling, Tryamkin, and McCann. Absolutely nothing wrong with his drafting (a far cry from previous regimes here). It's the managing of those players that is the issue (and why I think he's a poor GM but still a solid amateur scout).

Trading those same prospects still comes down to projection based scouting. He felt that Clendenning was going to be a similar end asset to Forsling, just 'accelerated' in development.
He's on his way to being wrong there. He traded away McCann for a younger depth Dman. He again stands a very good chance to be wrong about that trade (in terms of end evaluation).

Managing a prospect still involves scouting. Benning has shown that his eye for talent is no more above par than what we see from other GMs. Add to this the Tkachuk/Nylander drafts, and the evidence it starts to veer to below par, IMO.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
And I'm sure teams don't just start talking about the draft a couple months until the draft either...he most certainly had his own list from his time in Boston.

Didn't have Pastranak over McCann even though he came from the team that eventually drafted him?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Great interview. Listening to Gilman speak just reminded me how articulate, proffessional and intelligent he is. Not only he would have been a better GM than JB, he probably would have been a better PR figurehead than Linden.

He said something like "if there is a deal on the table and you can't sign the player to the term you want, logic dictates you trade that player instead of letting him walk"
Can you even imagine Benning using the phrase "logic dictates" in a sentence?

Edit: Also some interesting tidbits about Gillis and Burrows.
Gillis, as always, methodical, calculating and a ruthless negotiator but has his players' backs.

Burrows, even knowing that going UFA would have brought him more money, still chose to take the 2m/year a deal because he loved the team and the city. Plus his comment about satisfaction. A great player and an even better man.

Last edited:

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
"Gilman says a Burrows trade was all-but-agreed to in 2009 for 1st-rounder & 3rd-line player (can't name), before Burrows signed 4-year deal".

All but agreed to? What does that even mean?

Isn't agreeing pretty much the quintessential part of an agreement?

"I'll give you a first rounder and third line player for Burrows..... but I won't agree to it". :huh:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
"Gilman says a Burrows trade was all-but-agreed to in 2009 for 1st-rounder & 3rd-line player (can't name), before Burrows signed 4-year deal".

All but agreed to? What does that even mean?

Isn't agreeing pretty much the quintessential part of an agreement?

"I'll give you a first rounder and third line player for Burrows..... but I won't agree to it". :huh:

He said that another GM offered that, and Gillis was going to accept it if Burrows didn't sign right away since the trade deadline was in two days and the Canucks were playing later that night (I assume they wanted to avoid him getting injured).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Gilman is awesome. Wish he was still involved in this circus, but also happy he isn't because bad things shouldn't happen to good people aka competent people.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Just listened to that interview in full.

Gilman is so incredibly well-spoken. His public speaking is night and day to any idiot we have right now, most notably Jim Benning. No mumbling, no stuttering, no real goods, uhhhhhhs etc etc. That was incredibly refreshing. Loved his insight on this...I love hearing this stuff.

Now we know why Burrows signed that deal that ended up being an absolute steal - he loved this city over the money. This makes me love Burrows even more because if he never takes that deal, this team turns out incredibly different IMO.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Gilman is awesome. Wish he was still involved in this circus, but also happy he isn't because bad things shouldn't happen to good people aka competent people.

What I wouldn't give to bring back the Gillis/Gilman combo.

Or just can everyone and make Gilman GM.

Plz.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Forsling with his third apple tonight

Such an excellent draft pick, and such a god awful trade. He's also playing about 18 min a night. This one stings.

Also this notion that trading a prospect who later finds success somehow negates the fact the pick demonstrated good drafting is quite a contrived, contorted argument.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Great interview. Listening to Gilman speak just reminded me how articulate, proffessional and intelligent he is. Not only he would have been a better GM than JB, he probably would have been a better PR figurehead than Linden.

He said something like "if there is a deal on the table and you can't sign the player to the term you want, logic dictates you trade that player instead of letting him walk"
Can you even imagine Benning using the phrase "logic dictates" in a sentence?

Edit: Also some interesting tidbits about Gillis and Burrows.
Gillis, as always, methodical, calculating and a ruthless negotiator but has his players' backs.

Burrows, even knowing that going UFA would have brought him more money, still chose to take the 2m/year a deal because he loved the team and the city. Plus his comment about satisfaction. A great player and an even better man.

Yeah, listening to Gilman say the words "from an asset management perspective" was both refreshing and a punch to the gut.

Would love to hear more insight from Gilman about his thoughts around the NHL.

Reactions: Jyrki21

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, listening to Gilman say the words "from an asset management perspective" was both refreshing and a punch to the gut.

i thought the same thing. the exact opposite of benning's first trade deadline.

and to hear gilman talk about burrows as a player they didn't have to invest a draft pick on, and the organization's commitment to protecting that moving forward by parlaying him into assets if he can't be signed, you just have to shake your head at the current regime (and also the one(s) preceding gillis) throwing away 2nds and 3rds on linden veys and drake berehowskys and derek dorsetts and geoff sandersons, and throwing in 4ths and 5ths as sweeteners, or flipping them for waiver wire guys like pouliot and larsen like it's nothing.

Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Mccann scored his second goal of the season already tonight. Those TWO goals are double what Gudbranson has done in over two years here so far :cry:

But luckly Benning handed the Panthers extra picks :cry:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Mccann scored his second goal of the season already tonight. Those TWO goals are double what Gudbranson has done in over two years here so far :cry:

But luckly Benning handed the Panthers extra picks :cry:

I know Gudbranson has that Donald trump presidency effect on the perception of time, but he's only been here a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad