Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The class he was teaching at UVIC was apparently very good and quite popular. I don't see him listed on the staff directory so he might not be there anymore. Can you imagine Benning teaching a class of any sorts anywhere?

I'd take a cooking class taught by Benning #meatandpotatoes

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The class he was teaching at UVIC was apparently very good and quite popular. I don't see him listed on the staff directory so he might not be there anymore. Can you imagine Benning teaching a class of any sorts anywhere?

Like coaching, teaching is a specific skill and not dependent on accomplishments in a particular field or even knowledge. I am sure if Benning taught classes for aspiring scouts it would be popular too. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge that he could possibly share.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

IIRC Gillis is working in some capacity in the Swiss League as of last season.

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
I always thought that if someone was fired with time remaining on a contract and picked up another job then the first team was only on the hook for the difference between the first contract and the second ?

So if Gillis was making 2 mill with Vancouver and took a scouting job making 150k that Vancouver would only pay 1.85 mill ?

Obviously they could sit at home and make the 2 mill but it would be better to stay in the game as a scout at least ?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I always thought that if someone was fired with time remaining on a contract and picked up another job then the first team was only on the hook for the difference between the first contract and the second ?

So if Gillis was making 2 mill with Vancouver and took a scouting job making 150k that Vancouver would only pay 1.85 mill ?

Obviously they could sit at home and make the 2 mill but it would be better to stay in the game as a scout at least ?

Scouting is a pretty tough job and not exactly appealing to someone with a family. It sounds great to us considering it's what some people do here as a hobby (in a much more limited capacity) but there is a ton of travelling involved.

I would have done exactly what he did, take the 2 mil, go get a more relaxing job somewhere else and collect two paycheques. He already played in the NHL, was a successful player agent, and was the GM/President of a team. I don't think a short stint as a scout would make any difference for him to get hired or not. I'm not sure if he even wants to be a GM again, he sounded pretty fed up with everyone by the end of it and is probably thankful he doesn't have the Toronto-based media criticizing his every move now.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Scouting is a pretty tough job and not exactly appealing to someone with a family. It sounds great to us considering it's what some people do here as a hobby (in a much more limited capacity) but there is a ton of travelling involved.

I would have done exactly what he did, take the 2 mil, go get a more relaxing job somewhere else and collect two paycheques. He already played in the NHL, was a successful player agent, and was the GM/President of a team. I don't think a short stint as a scout would make any difference for him to get hired or not. I'm not sure if he even wants to be a GM again, he sounded pretty fed up with everyone by the end of it and is probably thankful he doesn't have the Toronto-based media criticizing his every move now.

If I remember correctly, he does not need the money. He made a ton as an agent.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yes but that obviously requires negotiation. I think that a team still needs to seek permission from the team that fired the executive or coach before hiring him. For example, Columbus only paid $750K of the $2M Canucks owed Torts.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
That's realgud. Thanks Nuckles ol chap.

We didn't need a soft center with a bad attitude anyways.

triggered

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
More goals in one game than Sutter will score all year. But we got leadership and toughness and a steel jaw which is worth like double that in style points.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
More goals in one game than Sutter will score all year. But we got leadership and toughness and a steel jaw which is worth like double that in style points.

So you don't think a 20 goal scorer will score more then 3 goals this year?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Keep in mind that although it was a pre-season game, Tampa was basically icing their opening day lineup.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Some pretty cheesy plays leading to those first two goals but players will get those opportunities in front of the net if willing and need to finish.

It was something I liked about granlund as the season went on last year. He'd get to the middle, the puck would find his stick and he'd finish.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
So you don't think a 20 goal scorer will score more then 3 goals this year?

Whoops, meant Gudbranson. I get Benning's interchangeable terrible trade targets mixed up sometimes. Sutter will score more than 3, but less than 20.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Florida's GM was raving about McCann earlier in the week, saying he looks like a completely different player this season and thinks he's made the most progress out of anyone on the team.

This is why teams prefer to hold onto young players until they know what they have, and trade picks more often than prospects. Too easy to get burned and have it traced right back to your decision.

Reactions: brokenhole

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Florida's GM was raving about McCann earlier in the week, saying he looks like a completely different player this season and thinks he's made the most progress out of anyone on the team.

This is why teams prefer to hold onto young players until they know what they have, and trade picks more often than prospects. Too easy to get burned and have it traced right back to your decision.

Didn't McCann also show up last year all bulked up? Would be interesting if the off-season plan basically set both players back a full year.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
DLFNcQbVwAAMmUs.jpg

#GOAT
#ForeverACanuck

Reactions: Nuckles

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Looks like Jordan Schroeder is making a fight for one of the few "black ace" spots on the Blue Jackets opening day roster (they are a playoff team at the moment - so it's of SOME achievement if he manages to stick). Amazing that he MIGHT end up with a longer NHL career than Cody "The Franchise" Hodgson....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->