Format of expansion draft

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Hello, I hope this exact issue hasn't been touched upon already on this forum (I didn't see it). I am wondering what Las Vegas *Blanks* fans and NHL fans in general would like to see with regard to the format/presentation of the expansion draft. What I mean by this is how would you like the roster to be revealed? I assume they will have a live TV reveal. Would you like them to go alphabetically by team? "Las Vegas selects from the Anaheim Ducks.... from the Arizona Coyotes...." and so on. Would you like a 1st overall, 2nd, etc. format? Would you like a reveal by position? Ie. all the goalies, then the D, then the forwards.

This has the potential to be great television. All NHL fans will have interest as the draft will effect each team and of course Las Vegas fans will be excited. It could be a pretty dramatic show.

Also I'd like to congratulate the Las Vegas hockey fans on getting a team. I believe the NHL will not only survive but thrive in LV. Can't wait to make it down to a game!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Just based on the way everything's been worded with all the releases so far, I don't expect much more than a press release with the Las Vegas roster.

They've got a year to figure it out, but I can't imagine it's going to be a television event. We've got to remember that the only people that are going to be happy about the whole thing are Vegas fans and maybe one or two other teams that dump a contract on us. Every team is losing something except Vegas, and a little more than half the players selected in the draft will actually see the ice in a Vegas uniform.

It's just not great TV outside of Vegas. Even here it might be a little rough unless the broadcast team has a couple of hours to put together highlight packages for all the players and they can milk it into a 30-60 minute show.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
I honestly don't see TSN not letting this go live on TV. I'd love to watch it happen.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I can't see McPhee allowing any media outlet to go live with anything.
A lot of the players selected are going to be experiencing a wide range of emotions, which might hurt publicity for the org.
The draft will likely be done via conference call with other GMs. Media are usually not privy to that sort of thing.
Some drafted players are likely to be moved before the season starts, and I'm sure McPhee would rather publicize the training camp roster and especially the opening night roster, rather than a list of players in flux.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah what are they gonna do? name the players off one by one? I mean if it was two teams taking turns drafting I could see that being fun but otherwise...I agree. Press release is probably the way it's going down. I'm sure that they'll have a list prepared before the actual "draft" happens. With no other team to contest any of the options on the list, what point is there in watching it happen live?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I can't see McPhee allowing any media outlet to go live with anything.
A lot of the players selected are going to be experiencing a wide range of emotions, which might hurt publicity for the org.
The draft will likely be done via conference call with other GMs. Media are usually not privy to that sort of thing.
Some drafted players are likely to be moved before the season starts, and I'm sure McPhee would rather publicize the training camp roster and especially the opening night roster, rather than a list of players in flux.

Am I understanding you right? You think there won't be any disclosure of expansion draft selections until training camp rolls around? That's just a different extreme.

Fans will be hungry for an idea of what the roster could end up looking like all summer long. And if McPhee does start making trades with his expansion draft players, how silly would it be for fans to not even know Vegas held the rights until the trade was made? Then they get the new player and it's like "who is he gonna play with?"

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
I'm interested and surprised in the responses here. I figured a TV event was a given. The appetite for a TV roster reveal would be quite high amongst hockey fans I know. One example is when Canada reveals its Olympic roster: there is no "2nd team" that is also selecting, it's just them picking their roster. But because of the speculation and interest surrounding that team people tune in. Similarly, I believe people would also tune in for the LV roster reveal. Consider that every single team will be affected. The same can't be said for trade deadline day or free agency day, both of which have full day TV coverage. McPhee/LV could contact all teams/players an hour or two before the show making their selections and then reveal them on the show for the hockey world to see. That doesn't sound appealing?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Penguins fan coming in peace - very interested to see how this LV team does with the expansion draft.

I agree that it's got TV potential. I don't see how a TV network won't approach the NHL and lead the NHL to create some kind of televisable reveal.
TSN etc could easily muster up a couple of hours debating who would be a good pick from various teams - give a bit of insider knowledge on who might get picked etc. Maybe we will even see some trades going on involving LV or others. I would definitely be interested. It is a fantasy hockey players dream - a real life, albeit severely limited; fantasy draft!

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Am I understanding you right? You think there won't be any disclosure of expansion draft selections until training camp rolls around? That's just a different extreme.

Fans will be hungry for an idea of what the roster could end up looking like all summer long. And if McPhee does start making trades with his expansion draft players, how silly would it be for fans to not even know Vegas held the rights until the trade was made? Then they get the new player and it's like "who is he gonna play with?"

No, they'll disclose everything as it happens, they just won't use the initial drafted players in any sort of promotional material or features until they have commitments from the players themselves.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
No, they'll disclose everything as it happens, they just won't use the initial drafted players in any sort of promotional material or features until they have commitments from the players themselves.

What commitments are there? You get taken you are now under contract to the new team. If they trade you eventually well so be it, but it will get announced on draft day. Of course there will be televised fanfare, just probably not an arena event or something like that. The TV guys will be talking to players and the LV team staff on air, but not in front of a crowd. Probably have an event at a local bar or something for the fans, that's it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean I'd watch it for sure. Don't get me wrong. I'm just not expecting anything live. A recap/reveal of the picks maybe but there's no shot they're doing some live coverage of some actual drafting. As I said, their list will probably be finalized a couple days...or depending on trades, a couple hours before the actual "draft" is supposed to take place.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
They could at least post the protected player lists from each team. That way we could make up our own mock selections.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm guessing that before public notification, the players themselves should be notified.

Does anyone know how it's been done in the past (WRT player notifications)?

(Pre social media, I think it was just a press release)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'd be thoroughly surprised if this wasn't a live TV event (at least in Canada).

Even though team fans will be potentially upset about losing a player, most will still watch.

I'd be willing to bet TSN/Sportsnet would even be doing a 'pre-game' and 'post-game' show.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm a Sabres fan and I would 100% watch this. I just have a feeling I'd be looking for a TSN stream instead of watching whatever lame show the NHL Network has - and probably starring that know nothing EJ Hradek.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If it is streamed, i would watch and just pray that Vegas doesn't select Methot from the Sens.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If it is streamed, i would watch and just pray that Vegas doesn't select Methot from the Sens.

I'd start getting myself in to a place where I could be happy to see him live in Las Vegas often if I was you.

Methot is a name that I see on pretty much every mock draft.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'd start getting myself in to a place where I could be happy to see him live in Las Vegas often if I was you.

Methot is a name that I see on pretty much every mock draft.

Other than Methot, who are some other names that you are seeing come up a lot?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Interesting.

For some reason, when Staal signed in Minnesota I instantly thought that they would leave him unprotected and he'd end up in Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad