forget Overchkin- how about Staal vs Bergeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have only see Overchkin on TV and read about him. I wont argue he'll be a superstar. However, as a mid 40 year old who has seen atleast 600 Bruins games in person and went to my first game the year before Orr came up I will say Bergeron is one of the most impressive rookies I have ever seen come up. I live near Lowell so I have gone over and watched Eric Staal play (I even during a Christmas skate with my kids did about a half dozen laps with him until my kid wanted to go meet 'that goalie' (Cam Ward) :joker: . I'll say that I am a big Eric Staal fan. I love his talent and you could not have met for atleast 5 minutes a nicer, more sincere kid. He reminded me of some of the boys my teenager hangs with (hockey players of course).

I asked Staal on his take of Bergeron and he said he's better than last year- he was impressed. You could tell he meant it. I brought up his skating seemed stronger and he quickly agreed. I am taking nothing away from Staal or Bergeron and would take either and run. Bergeron really is something. If the game opens up to pre1993 hockey I see him as a well rounded player who would translate into a 70 point player. He'll blast you into the next county though if he has a chance and he has that feel where he'll score big goals. I see him as guy that will play his best when it matters.

He's already taken the wackiest road ever in professional hockey: consider he played in the NHL full time before the AHL; played (and won a medal) in the men's WC before playing in the WJC; has lived with the Lapointe's in a beautiful spread where he said he has a few chores that include walking the dog (what no MTV cribs- and he should have a posse member for that). He started staying in the best hotels, eating at the best restaurants and flying first class or charter; now he's got an apartment, buses it, and if he's like my 19 year old eating fast food.

Overchkin sounds and looks like a game breaker- a franchise player. Bergeron and Staal look like the 3 or 4 guys you build a winning team. I have no idea knowing but I'd bet Staal would feel pretty good to be discussed as being in a talent litter along with Patrice Bergeron.

bruins4777*

Bergeron is safer. Staal is higher potential.

I'd take staal.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Man, that's almost too tough to call. I could see them both having simliar careers production wise. As a die hard Bruins fan I love having Bergeron on the team but I'd also love to have Staal on the team. That would be an awesome one-two punch down the middle for years. I guess we already have Thornton though.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
the b's made a strong push to move up in the draft that year- allegedly they discussed several things with florida, including nick boynton, brian rolston and their 1st round pick. sergei samsonov's name was rumored, but everything i've heard was that these were strictly just that- rumors. the b's would've likely taken staal with that pick (so they hoped, which became moot when carolina grabbed him)...but florida basically decided that they couldn't leave that draft without staal or horton, and backed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->