Forecaster's Top 75 Stars of Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
phantompenguin said:
I'd like to know the cut-offs since Pitkanen and Fleury aren't on the list.

The cut-off in that case was common sense. Which is in my book the best cutoff to use.

As for the list, yeah, it's flawed but not anymore than some I have seen floating around. All lists are flawed, as a matter of fact. They are doomed from the beginning.

This one just appears a bit more flawed because it is drastically different from the general concensus here at HF.

Concerning Grebeshkov: why are people always clamoring he is too low on every list? The guy is very sound but ordinary.

Biggest surprise for me was seeing Ryan Suter at #40 while Coburn and Phaneuf are 6 and 9 (I think). That's a very bold move that is sure to have a few Preds fan angry. I wouldn't have put him quite that low but yeah, I think Nashville made a mistake and picked the worse of the "big three".

I don't see how this list is so bad in comparison to others.

evman150*

Kirk- NEHJ said:
Are you really arguing that Toivonen is facing an easier situation playing at a high level in the AHL than Drouin-Deslauriers is in the Q?

No. Not easier, just different. And the league he played in that he recorded the stats we refer to is the SM-Liiga, not the AHL.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
phantompenguin said:
I'd like to know the cut-offs since Pitkanen and Fleury aren't on the list.

Two Penguins up there, one too low(Whitney) and one suprise(Bartschi). Confused on Welch being left off but impressed with Bartschi finally getting some press.
Me too, Seidenberg is on the list, but he has played too many NHL games to be considered a rookie.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Perry a bit too high(though he is getting closer every day to the phenom status he once held in his younger years), Getzlaf to low, and in summary, just a terrible list.

Also, how did Josh Harding not make the top 50? He's the best goalie in the Dub(yes, he's better than Ward), probably the best in the CHL(Harding vs. Deslauriers is very, very close), yet he can't make the top 50. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

evman150*

Gagne said:
Me too, Seidenberg is on the list, but he has played too many NHL games to be considered a rookie.

It's players playing in leagues other than the nhl. Seidenberg plays for the Phantoms, thus he is eligible for the list. Pitkanen plays for the Flyers, therefore he is not eligible.

thestonedkoala

Um where's Foy? Why is Locke on there and not Foy? Seriously.

As for Koivu, O'Sullivan, and Harding...

O'Sullivan I think should be around or a little lower. He's tearing up the OHL and is playing some good defense but there will always be a question on if he will ever get the chip off his shoulder.

Koivu should be where he is. He's not producing, period so he shouldn't be any higher.

Harding is extremely underrated by them. I guess they don't think he has the potential to be anyone...other than a backup goalie...*sighs* This guy wins awards, got outshot 212-40ish something, almost pulls an upset in the playoffs and is considered to be a second tier goalie? WHY? He's always, always going to be looked down upon when comparing him to Ward, Baschicuah (or whatever his name is), LeNeveau...Jesus I'm butchering these names, I'm sorry.

I'm curious at how they came to these conclusions...put some names in a hat and drew them out?

evman150*

icarus said:
Well actually I was refering to the stats he has put up in both the Finnish League and the AHL.

Well he's played seven games in the ahl, I consider that pretty inconsequential.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
evman150 said:
Well he's played seven games in the ahl, I consider that pretty inconsequential.

Well whether you consider it inconsequential or not, the numbers are still there for the second pro league he has played in. Deslauriers has only played junior and currently sits behind a number of other goalies who have played more games than he in save percentage.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
I know where to find video of Ovechkin's goals if anyone doubts his talents and ability. hcdynamo.com

if you found anyone doubt about his talent and ability. Please tell me who...

It's not because he is #2 that he isn't great...

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Where is S.Bernier. I think I didn't see him....

No way MA Bernier is better than S.Bernier

skariya18

Sep 10, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
www.hockeydirect.net
"Lehtonen will one day backstop the Thrashers to a Stanley Cup title. It's only a matter of time."

What do you guys think of that? Will the Thrashers ever win a cup in Lehtonen's lifetime?

Also, Blackburn at #41, does that suprise anyone?

Getzlaf at #49 is way too low.

And no Tim Gleason? Any reason for that? I always thought he would be a good blue liner for a long time

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
evman150 said:
...Kronwall, Gervais, Fedorov, Kahnberg (who the hell is this guy?)

:D That was funny. Funny that such a reaction would come regarding Kahnbergs presence on that list. Like, "Kahnberg, who?!". (Yes, like a few people said, it's obvious they picked all the current scoring leaders from leagues over the world and put them together on one list. :joker: )

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Actually, I think Hannu Toivonen has a higher upside than any young Finn not named Joni Pitkänen or Kari Lehtonen. He still has a lot to learn but his raw abilities are phenomenal. He's just as big as Lehtonen, his legs might be even faster than Lehtonen's (if that's even possible), he's more acrobatic and has better reflexes etc. He's a bit high but he definitely has potential.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Slime said:
:D That was funny. Funny that such a reaction would come regarding Kahnbergs presence on that list. Like, "Kahnberg, who?!". (Yes, like a few people said, it's obvious they picked all the current scoring leaders from leagues over the world and put them together on one list. :joker: )

Kahnberg = Huselius v2.0 (or close)

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
evman150 said:

well actually he has only played 24 regular season and 2 playoff games in SM-LIIGA...

regular season

24GP 1431.54MIN 54GA 2SO 16W-4T-2L 2,26GAA 91,12PCT

----------------------------------------------------

Kari Lehtonen stats for 02-03

45GP 2634.48MIN 87GA 5SO 23W-6T-14L 1,98GAA 92,8PCT

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
Kahnberg = Huselius v2.0 (or close)

From all accounts i've heard, Magnus Kahnberg plays a game more like Daniel Alfredson. He's not as flashy as Huselius, but he puts up some huge goals and great numbers. I'm hoping this guy hasn't fallen off JR's radar though, maybe his presence on this list will give the guy a little more publicity. He at the very least deserves a training camp over here. I'm not too sure if he even wants to come though, as he is increasing in age.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
jepjepjoo said:
well actually he has only played 24 regular season and 2 playoff games in SM-LIIGA...

regular season

24GP 1431.54MIN 54GA 2SO 16W-4T-2L 2,26GAA 91,12PCT

----------------------------------------------------

Kari Lehtonen stats for 02-03

45GP 2634.48MIN 87GA 5SO 23W-6T-14L 1,98GAA 92,8PCT

Not saying this will happen, but it is possible Toivonen could end up being the better goaltender in NA even though Lehtonen has had stronger stats in Finland. The North American game is different by far and Toivonen does have some great raw talent, I say it's possible Hannu could pick up the NA game quicker and become better than Kehtonen in the future.

These two should always be compared against each other. Same draft class, both 1st rounders, and both from Finland. I believe Toivonen has always been underrated until now.

And he does have the better AHL stats at the moment, Toivonen that is... ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dr_Chimera said:
Bingo!!!

And Konstantin Korneev was tearing up a recent U18 tournament.

That list was made up by some unqualified folks.

What? Korneev will be 20 in June, so he wasn't playing in any recent U-18's, unless you consider last year recent. I thought he was impressive at the WJC's last year, but I'm surprised he's on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->