FORBES: Ranking All 30 Of MLB's Ballparks: First To Worst

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hard to argue over #1 and #30

Ranking All 30 Of MLB's Ballparks: First To Worst

At the top of the list is AT&T Park in San Francisco, home of the Giants. Located on the Bay, where balls hit out to right field land in McCovey Cove, it’s a gem, with great views of downtown, activity around the ballpark and trolley access. And while Candlestick Park, the former home of the Giants, could be as cold and windy as any place in the league, the AT&T Park location largely dodges this. Summer day games are beyond glorious.

In second, it’s the ballpark that started the whole retro-design phase and has been seen as the benchmark for all ballpark designs since: Oriole Park at Camden Yards (OPACY), which has the signature B&O Warehouse against right field and is just a few blocks off the inner harbor of downtown Baltimore, is pure beauty.

Rounding out the top 5 are Busch Stadium, thanks to the incredible views of the Gateway Arch and downtown St. Louis; Dodger Stadium, with its classic view of Chavez Ravine and the fact that it feels very modern despite being the third-oldest ballpark in all of MLB; and PNC Park in Pittsburgh, which has a view that might be the most stunning in all of baseball, with a view of the iconic Roberto Clemente Bridge and downtown.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I personally have only been to AT&T in that top-5, so I have no say. That said, is this ranking stadiums or views? One thing I'll mention is that it'll get increasingly harder to rate these as more and more stadiums will be part of a whole mixed-use development (retail/restaurants, multifamily, office...).

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
In the top 5 on that list I've only been to Dodgers stadium but it was great. Like exactly the atmosphere that a night baseball game in summer should have.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
In their Top 5 I've been to Oriole Park at Camden Yards and PNC. I've also been to #11 (Safeco) and #24 (Nationals Park). I may hit up Dodger Stadium in a couple weeks but we'll see. Offhand while I liked Camden Yards I feel like it's a little too high. I'd call PNC nicer than Oriole Park, for instance. While Oriole Park definitely helped lead off the retro-classic phase of ballpark design I wasn't as enamored by it as I thought I'd be. Sure the B&O Warehouse in right field is cool and all, but...eh. I also think there's a point where you could easily mix around the ranking and there wouldn't be much difference - for instance I like Nationals Park just fine and don't think it's quite as bad as they have it ranked - it's a perfectly adequate MLB park that isn't amazing and isn't awful either.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Imagine building an expensive new park and being ranked in the 20’s. Reds and Nats must be ashamed.

I've been to both. Nats Park is kinda blah, it would have been better with some more decent views of the monuments, Capitol, etc. And the river is the Anacostia...yuck.

I thought the Reds place was nice though. Downtown, on the river, good sight lines, great food, loved the brats and the cheese coneys. Wonder why it got a lousy rating.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
The Marlins are near the bottom as well.

I don't know how a team of qualified people, with all the potential design options for a stadium, end up with something as hideous as the Marlins park. A huge concrete beam down the RF line, really?

I do think they were too nice to Rogers Centre though. Should be 27.

Reactions: DaveG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Might be biased but Dodger Stadium shouldn’t be top 5. Nice looking stadium but the location is horrible.

I wouldn't say it's horrible. It would be nice to be closer to the water but it's not like it's out in the middle of nowhere. It's right beside Echo park and Silver lake. They just need to get more hipsters into baseball.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I honestly cannot stand Rogers Centre especially after visiting some other parks. I think it should be in the 25-30 range. It might not be a totally fair assessment as we obviously need the dome in Toronto for weather reasons, but I just think the design could have some character or uniqueness to make it stand out more.

Reactions: weinsink

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I wouldn't say it's horrible. It would be nice to be closer to the water but it's not like it's out in the middle of nowhere. It's right beside Echo park and Silver lake. They just need to get more hipsters into baseball.
It’s hard to access and the parking situation is awful

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Parking is not nearly as bad as it used to be and in LA no parking situation is going to be good. The location is fine. It’s not like downtown LA needs another stadium.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Dodger Stadium's location is fine and acceptable, beyond the horrifying history of what it took to build that stadium there, but the giant sea of parking lots and useless public transportation are massive negatives and there's nothing really great about the stadium by itself that comes close to undoing the giant pain-in-the-ass it is to get to (no solution to this in LA, period, but it's still a negative).

Dodger Stadium is a good stadium. It's a nice place to watch a baseball game. Nothing more, nothing less.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Dodger Stadium's location is fine and acceptable, beyond the horrifying history of what it took to build that stadium there, but the giant sea of parking lots and useless public transportation are massive negatives and there's nothing really great about the stadium by itself that comes close to undoing the giant pain-in-the-ass it is to get to (no solution to this in LA, period, but it's still a negative).

Dodger Stadium is a good stadium. It's a nice place to watch a baseball game. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is actually what I love about it. It's not a f***ing themepark. You go there to watch the game. The sightlines to the field are great. The view is beautiful. It's not run down like Fenway but has history to it. I like some modern parks like Camden, PNC, AT&T, Target, Progressive. Don't get me wrong but there is something nice about the 'No frills' nature of Dodgers Stadium.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This is actually what I love about it. It's not a ****ing themepark. You go there to watch the game. The sightlines to the field are great. The view is beautiful. It's not run down like Fenway but has history to it. I like some modern parks like Camden, PNC, AT&T, Target, Progressive. Don't get me wrong but there is something nice about the 'No frills' nature of Dodgers Stadium.
Has a 'Sandlot' feel to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad