For those complaining about WJC showboating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the dancing and showboating in the NFL is a joke, it looks so rediculus i don't even know where to begin. i mean the dancing...good crap, do those guys actually think they look cool or something? wtf

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
Although I understand what you're saying, I think theres a difference between doing a celebration dance and directly taunting the crowd or opposing team. As a hockey fan, I take pride in the fact that most hockey players know how to conduct themselves and show a certain sense of sportsmanship. Just because athletes in other sports often showboat doesn't mean I want hockey players to stoop down to their level.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I don't like the showboating neither, but you know what? If the player just got my favourite a touchdown, a 3 pointer, scored a big goal in the hockey game, then let him do whatever he wants, I really don't care..

This is democracy, these guys should be able to do whatever they want as long as it's within the rules, and if you don't like it, it doesn't give you a right to go and kick their arse..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
what does democracy have to do with anything? pro sports aren't run like a democracy.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I dunno, When say Sellane used to shoot out the lights that was kinda cool, but going over to the other teams bench and waving your hand in their faces is just a little different.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Without displays and examples of poor sportsmanship, then we wouldn't have any standard for defining good sportsmanship either. There have always been pests and showboaters in the game, there always will be, and it just puts the class acts in an even better light.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone else think that (Shirokov aside) the whole thing was instigated by the Pat O'Sullivan highstick? IMO that was a pretty blatent cheapshot. They didin't overly do that against other teams and its just out of character for guys like Malkin and AO.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
MOGiLNY said:
I don't like the showboating neither, but you know what? If the player just got my favourite a touchdown, a 3 pointer, scored a big goal in the hockey game, then let him do whatever he wants, I really don't care..

This is democracy, these guys should be able to do whatever they want as long as it's within the rules, and if you don't like it, it doesn't give you a right to go and kick their arse..

I can't wait until these Russians get to the NHL, Hatchet and co, will straighten their showboating out really quick

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
I'm going to post here my answer to Geki, since I didn't have time to do that in US vs. Russia thread. It was closed when it was just getting civilized, imo.

Geki said:
I am of the school that taunting and the like should be penalized as unsportsman-like conduct because it's exactly what it is.

Ok. Then I can understand you, and to some extent even agree with you, though I often find stuff like taunts and showboating entertaining. Taunting can be done in so many different ways. It can be insulting but it can also be good clean fun. I don't like players that go "I'm gonna ****ing kill you!" or "Your mother is a whore!" or something moronic like that, but I like the players that are not so serious about it. I think it would be too harsh to penalize every little gesture that could be considered unsportmanlike conduct. The game shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Geki said:
In all honesty I think the league is afraid to to officially put a penalty on the issue because of the success of the NBA and NFL. I'd hate to see the league move in that direction... it's the reason I stopped watching them (NFL, NBA).

I can't really say much about these leagues, since I don't follow basketball or american football and they don't show them in Finland anyway. But from the little I've seen and heard (and usually off court things), at least those basketball players seem very arrogant. I wouldn't like to see that in hockey, I agree.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Levitate said:
what does democracy have to do with anything? pro sports aren't run like a democracy.

so show me where it says that a player can't taunt after scoring a goal, because I can show you where it says that it's against the rules to hit the player from behind or high stick him in the face

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
George Harrison said:
That's the spirit. Once they get to the NHL they can get the Bertuzzi treatment, now that's sportsmanship at its finest.

a little blood doesn't hurt anybody ... its the fact that they have the audacity to showboat on EMPTY ******* NET GOALS, I can live with Shirokov after putting his team ahead 3-2, but for ***** sake save the showboating for your own team...celebrate after the goal and with your team ... don't ******* taunt your opponent right after you score an EN Goal :shakehead

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
so show me where it says that a player can't taunt after scoring a goal, because I can show you where it says that it's against the rules to hit the player from behind or high stick him in the face

There is also an unwritten code about taunting the other teams bench, or even just celbrating a goal in front of it. If you do it, your asking for trouble. That may not exist in russia, but it has always existed in the north american game.

Jocus

Dec 23, 2004
There's a big difference between showboating and mocking the opposition.

Without talking about this game(everybody has a different story), there's nothing wrong with celebrating after a goal.

That has nothing to do with sportsmanship.

Throwing a banana on the ice when a black player is on the ice, making fun of the other team, laughing in their face, or any other act is not appropriate. It is not accepted in football. You rarely see those acts. You rarely see players laughing or mocking the other team. T.O. did it when he did a celebration that was identical to another player.

I personally like when they're excited to score, it shows that they are emotional.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

that still has absolutely nothing to do with democracy

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
George Harrison said:
Therefore taunting has always existed. So why get rid of it? If the NHL isn't willing to change to get more viewers why would they change something that would eliminate viewers?

I never said get rid of it. Just dont be upset when the opposing team comes out looking to hurt you after the fact. It has always been against the basic ethics of the game and has been dealt with accordingly by the players.

My point is there have alwasy been poor sportsmanship, and thats why players take exception to it, along with their fans. So why are there people suprised that the US fans are upset over this. And why are russian fans suprised that the us tried to retaliate. If the samething happens in another game, I guarantee you would get the same response with different teams on the ice, and from their fans.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Showboating is good as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Its entertaining. So what if its bad sportsmanship. Every sport has it. I don't mind a guy who has just scored who say celebtrates to the other teams fans. Heh its sport.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
An interesting topic. For what it may be worth, my take would be that it is entirely natural to want to celebrate a goal in hockey, or a TD or whatever, and some players are more emotional than others. For those of us old enough to remember, the knock on the Soviet teams of the 70's is that they were "Red Army machines" who played without the emotion we were used to over here. Obviously, that has changed.

But to get into taunting and mixing it up with the crowd is both bush league and immature - and not particularly effective (against a mature opponent). It takes the sport and turns it into a World Wrestling clone (and yes, I know lots of North Americans choose to watch the wrestling crap, and there are probably three of them that actually think it is "sport"). This sort of crap can and should be controlled.

And if it is not controlled by the officials, the player who is taunted is likely to respond - so you end up with the out of control melees that do so much to cement hockey as an "extreme sport" - driving far more potential viewers away than you will ever gain.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
Anyone who has played hockey knows that you do not taunt the opposing team or fans. I remember when I was a kid and I did that, my coach benched me, and the rest of my teammates told me to show some class. After the game, my dad was really upset at me. It was a great learning experience; I learned how to be a good sport and take the high ground. Now, whenever I'm playing in a beer league, and I see a guy taunt our team, it really bothers me to know grown men are acting like this. Last nite, we saw 18-20 year olds, who are on the verge of being professionals/role models, acting like spoiled brats. It's not only a poor reflection on their team, but it also takes away from their spectacular play in many viewers' eyes, especially since the game was over and both Malkin and Ovechkin knew they weren't going to be on the ice in the final 2 minutes.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
The taunting was classless. The Russian children were acting exactly as that. the US kids played a tough game. There plan was to come out and play a tough game. They followed through with it. This is hockey not badmitten, so rough play is acceptable. AO acted like a soccer player, this isnt soccer. The debate remains who is the better team. Both teams won one game, so that isnt an issue with me. I just wish these 2 teams could play again. The rivarly would be awesome but most of these kids will meet again in the NHL or some other league and I would love to see the day that AO and Ryan Suter take the ice again against each other.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
We Canadians have a distorted view on the world of sports. The butt of our problem is the “voice “of Canada , la grand moron, as Don Cherry, who is regularly lambasting players as Sidney Crosby for exact same thing, Ovechkin was doing. Nothing wrong to have some fun. Nothing wrong with showboating, if you are talented enough and you just scored a big one. May be hockey will be popular in US again and we will have a TV contract, which worth something.

What I will never understand, that we Canadians have no class in losing. It started long time ago, since the rugby association of Ontario and Silver Seven, winning the Stanley for three years in a row and being smacked for it. Then came Broad street bullies, TML goon squad playing terrible hockey for decades, summit of 1972 and Bobby Clark baseball swings, crashing the ankle of arguably the best hockey player ever, to put the pair of skates on. The only descent sportsman lake team was Montreal, the rest of the NHL was just six pack of Molson brew/ goon league and for a very long time.
All those juniors are just sucking on Don’s wisdom and watching Bertuzzi almost killing an opponent over a puck, take a notice and make their WHL and OHL games, just like a freak gladiators shows. Where the biggest guy on a team, would just run over the ice, punching anyone on his way. It happened many times. It is disgusting, and it is the most deplorable to watch and now this Canadian goon disease have spread to Americans, majority of whom play with those Canadian high school drop outs. Who have mash instead of brains.

espo*

I've said it before here and will say it again......i'm not a fan of it in hockey but it is going to happen with some players or teams from time to time.My problem was when they pulled this stuff off with the qmjhl all-stars there were quite a few posters telling fans up here not to get in a twist about it(even having avatars with the guy with the finger to his mouth) Now when they pull it on their team,those same fans cry foul and are angry as heck and want blood and of course it turns into a war and the thread gets closed down.But a few weeks ago the taunting was all just a bunch of kicks and used as fodder for getting fans here riled up.That changes real quick when that crap gets pulled on them however.Just a reminder to U.S and Canadian hockey fans that it is not part of our hockey culture and for good reason and we should stick together solid on this one...we don't play like that and should'nt. We may see more of it tommorow but it will be if they are able to do it at the end of the third period that tells the story.If they lose you won't see any "shhhhing" at all. I think it's bad karma for them. If you really wanna show me what you are made of then go out and score ten goals against us,i respect that a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad