Post-Game Talk: For the first time... 100 points! 3-2 Jets

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Second game in a row that we dominated but still needed OT to get the win. Its great to watch the Jets controlling the game like that but would be easier on the nerves if they could build a little cushion. :laugh:

Hope Toby and Trouba get back soon. We need to be healthy for the PO's. If healthy, we can go toe to toe with anybody.

They could have easily lost this game in OT- image your "nerves" then.:D

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Morrow is slowly fitting in. A high profile mistake, but for our 8th D-man, he played a ****ing solid game. Nice instincts with the puck in the offensive zone.

We've had worse Dmen in the past for sure. His first game was bad, his 2nd was still a little scary but since then he has been mostly invisible - a good thing in a Dman. And to my eye, he seems to be getting a little better when I do notice him.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Harry Caray: What’s your favourite type of goat?
Sarah Orlesky: Billy goat?
Harry Caray: Mines a Laine!!!
170420_3505886_Harry_Caray__Space__the_Infinite_Frontier_anvver_2.jpg

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
About Maurice: Maybe the man deserves some credit ? To his credit he seems like he has learned to be flexible in his approach to the game. There hasn't really been a lineup decision that baffled me this year. It could just be the players are way better so the team is way better, effect of the coach is hard to quantify. Maybe Mo finally has a good team to work with. Dunno

Connor started the year with the Moose

Gramps was playing over better, younger guys unecessarly all season

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Lost Jets 1.0 and now were here in Jets 2.0...

Drank my sorrow in Sherry...

Thanks Sherry for not letting me give up!

full.jpeg

You should've been gone
Knowing how I made you feel
And I should've been gone
After all your words of steel

Oh, I must've been a dreamer
And I must've been someone else
And we should've been over

Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

But I want to let go
You'll go on hurtin' me
You'd be better off alone
If I'm not who you thought I'd be

But you know that there's a fever
Oh that you'll never find nowhere else
Can't you feel it burnin' on and on?

Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

But I should've been gone
Long ago, far away
And you should've been gone
Now I know just why you stay

Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Once again saw only the condensed game, but even that made me think that the refs must have sucked big time. There was not a single PP on those highlights. No wait, there was one Ducks PP (their first goal of course), but that's it. And in OT alone there was at least two occasions where they could've given Ducks a penalty. So I guess we have to be happy to come out with two points...

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
It was never hard to qualify when they were losing.
Giving credit where credit is due should be just as simple as hammering him when they are playing poorly.
He's done a ton to get this young team playing a solid, consistent game at both ends of the ice - that's on the coach.

I like what he has done with Buff most of all.

Reactions: Jet

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was watching this game on the Ducks feed and at one point the guy that calls their game floated out a conspiracy theory that the Ducks shot totals were higher than the embarrassingly low number that they had and the guy who was counting the shots was giving Winnipeg the "home town advantage". Why would the Jets shot counter guy do that? He said that there are schools of thoughts that suggest that you can gain a psychological advantage by suppressing the opposition's shots and showing a huge disparity in the shot count. What a kook, I mean that is avgard level of homerism.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Player post-game audio: Wheeler, Connor & Scheifele.

Coach Maurice post-game scrum topics: Did he like the way the team stuck with the game plan? On what Kyle Connor is doing well right now. Did he like the way Patrik Laine played tonight? What did he see in Laine's skating tonight? On the Jets decision making during 3 on 3 OT. On how the team didn't get frustrated. On his assessment of the game and what it says about the maturity of his team. The weapons the Jets have with young guns. On the team reaching 100 points. Update on Enstrom?

To listen click here.

Only get a ****ty commercial! What does he say?

So go to the ICdave post click on the link and that is the same interview with Paul but it’s audio only.

Reactions: ICdave

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Jets really dominated tonight. Wheeler and Scheifele stood out.

I think Laine looked better than I’ve ever seen him play and he didn’t even score. When this kid adds 20 pounds and a year or two of experience he’s going to be unstoppable.
ignoring Laine's goal total (because, duh, that's just part of the game), i felt that Laine's game had regressed.

the past dozen games have made me reconsider. Dude's looking pretty great most of the time. He has the occasional zone breakout yip, but otherwise is playing great. Dominated when the puck was on his stick last night. Made a couple of beautiful passes. Hit the post once.

If you had to name a prospect that i would have considered trading down the road, it would have been Connor. Guy never seemed to dominate when he had the puck. He's now finally looking like a confident, smart player. someone needs to gif that dangle play where he globetrottered it around the Ducks' zone. dude will be a good player.

like...it's kind of not fair. Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Scheifele. That's a lot of skill out there. Roslo waiting on the sidelines and Vesalainen 1-2 years away. Holy mother of pearl...

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just curious if anyone else feels like Laine isn't really doing anything different but the puck is just sticking to him and he's a half a step faster.

I don't know what it is (I'm guessing a combo of Stastny and both Fly and Laine turning it up just a notch) but this lines play was spectacular tonight. Laine is not going to not score on 5 shots like that in a game very often.

I feel there is allot different lately. He is “getting it” now which is allowing him to not think and just react. He has learned how to use his speed and length which makes it’s harder for the defender to take the puck from him. He is figuring out how to find the soft spots and present himself as a target for passes.

He is starting to look like the Laine of the playoffs in Finland the year they won.

There was one play that really stood out for me a while back when I new the game was slowing down for him. Chairot was carrying the puck up his side of the ice and there was some line changing and Laine Was on the opposite side of the ice and rather than just wait and enter the zone on the right wing he skated all the way acrosss strait sideways parallel to the attacking blue line and fell in behind Chairot who crossed the blue line and pushed the D back with his speed Then drop passed off the boards to Laine who was free to walk in a snipe. I remember thinking how smart and creative it was and going........holy Christ this is happening isn’t it.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've seen enough Perrault and Little. To feel bad when we lose someone young like Connor for them.

Laine kinda off tonight. On the 3 on 3 he tried to force something which almost led to a bad result.

Would like to see Niku fill in for enstrom chances are tho it will be Poolman.

perrault still snake bitten. Or whatever the term for not putting the puck in the net is.

Someone here mentioned that they didn't think Laine played well, wow, Laine was very good tonight!

Ok adammlis we need to crowd fund a Tony Robbins coarse for you. You know you have jumped the Shark when Sip is heckling you for being negative.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
OR, given that any changes to our 3v3 OT decisions have impact measurable in tenths of a point in expected value, our luck may just be evening out. After all, "the usual suspects" all got a shift before Connor scored the winner.

Also as pointed out above, the thing being cited as "the cause of all our woes" happened again (1+ minute long shifts by Wheeler et al.). Just as they've happened every game since "The Narrative" started. Yet we're now 4-2 in OT since then.

I get you, and respect the intervention, but I wonder if we are now approaching “narrative of a narrative”” meta territory?

Fun game, with strong performances all round, though Lowry, Copp, JMo and KC stood out for me. PP looked poor and disjointed at times — wonder if they need to tinker with it. Rest everyone against NSH.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Lost Jets 1.0 and now were here in Jets 2.0...

Drank my sorrow in Sherry...

Thanks Sherry for not letting me give up!

full.jpeg

You should've been gone
Knowing how I made you feel
And I should've been gone
After all your words of steel

Oh, I must've been a dreamer
And I must've been someone else
And we should've been over

Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

But I want to let go
You'll go on hurtin' me
You'd be better off alone
If I'm not who you thought I'd be

But you know that there's a fever
Oh that you'll never find nowhere else
Can't you feel it burnin' on and on?

Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

But I should've been gone
Long ago, far away
And you should've been gone
Now I know just why you stay

Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on

Oh, Sherry, our love
Holds on, holds on
One of the best voices in rock all time . Weird that he just stopped singing for so long .

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Kudos to Chevy Believed in Helly when most gave up
Same for PMo.....They play hard for each other and the Coach
Connor was the catalyst that completed our top 6 and gave us the bottom 6 depth.
Lucky to have won the Laine stakes
Did Huddy get better at his job or is it 23 guys and a goalie making him look good?
Very excited for tomorrow next month and next year.

Fav bar was BCW's ......was a madhouse
Drinking Whiskey in Southern Florida 5 months a year
Played table top hockey with Joey many many years ago
Drinking Beer in Gimli the other 7
Seemed like a trip down memory lane last night. THX

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not that Laine or Ehlers weren't playing well but they have been playing even better ever since Stastny joined them . Something just clicked for those 3 right as soon as they got put together as a line . Great trade Chevy and great usage by Maurice . :clap:

Reactions: sipowicz

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I was watching this game on the Ducks feed and at one point the guy that calls their game floated out a conspiracy theory that the Ducks shot totals were higher than the embarrassingly low number that they had and the guy who was counting the shots was giving Winnipeg the "home town advantage". Why would the Jets shot counter guy do that? He said that there are schools of thoughts that suggest that you can gain a psychological advantage by suppressing the opposition's shots and showing a huge disparity in the shot count. What a kook, I mean that is avgard level of homerism.

The explanation for this is simple. The Ducks are an ageing powerhouse team, with a strong tradition of success.

This is coming to an end.

This game was embarrassing for the Ducks, and their media. The Ducks have owned the Jets for years, but those days are gone.

Its a changing of the guard, but the old sensibilities associated with lots of winning has a psychological momentum. Denial and wacky theories to compensate are nothing new IMHO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad