For next World Cup or Olympics they should have a Nash-Staal-Doan line?

wildone26*

I would say they should reunite the Nash-Lombardi-Doan line at the next World Cup or Olympics for Canada but obviously Lombardi wont make a team like that. However Nash, Doan, and Staal have all been incredible so far. I am not big on Nash, but 2 of the 3 events he has played for Canada he has been excellent now, I was thinking his World Championships in 2005 was a fluke, but it now appears more likely his performance at the 2006 Olympics was more of a fluke, and that he plays his best on international ice. So Nash-Staal-Doan should be one of Canada's lines for the next World Cup or Olympics. Does anyone else agree.

Chevy Cheveldae

i guess that line would be a good one

problem is just that it's impossible to know if they'll ever get the chance to play together again...what if all 3 are still in the playoffs come WC time, then it's 3 new guys who've had an early NHL-exit that will play for Canada

that's perhaps one of the good things we have here in europe, we can use our players for the national team all year long in the Euro hockey tour , i don't know if your guys ever had played together before the WC ? but professional NHL-ers thankfully can adapt to new situations and linemates

(oh, BTW i hope Canada gets the gold today !)

wildone26*

I said next World Cup or Olympics though, which means they would definitely be available since there is no NHL during that time. Of course all 3 would have to make the team for that to happen which is no sure thing expect for Staal.

I agree with you on one of the possible advantages of the European teams despite having so many less NHLers on their World Championship teams in many cases. Many of them are used to playing together in international events for their country and in Euro leagues are familiar with each other quite well. That is why you seem teams with few NHLers competitive and sometimes beat a Canadian, and even American team that only has NHLers for the most part.

Thanks for the well wishes, I am Canadian and hope they win today too obviously. :yo:

Pushkin*

I said next World Cup or Olympics though, which means they would definitely be available since there is no NHL during that time. Of course all 3 would have to make the team for that to happen which is no sure thing expect for Staal.

I agree with you on one of the possible advantages of the European teams despite having so many less NHLers on their World Championship teams in many cases. Many of them are used to playing together in international events for their country and in Euro leagues are familiar with each other quite well. That is why you seem teams with few NHLers competitive and sometimes beat a Canadian, and even American team that only has NHLers for the most part.

there will be no more canada cup. it's over. Those unlegitimate tournament with biased canadian refs is a thing of the past . Victoria Cup Olympics World Championships that's the future and it's perfect.
Thanks for the well wishes, I am Canadian and hope they win today too obviously. :yo:

Mike Lowrey

Apr 8, 2007
I would say they should reunite the Nash-Lombardi-Doan line at the next World Cup or Olympics for Canada but obviously Lombardi wont make a team like that. However Nash, Doan, and Staal have all been incredible so far. I am not big on Nash, but 2 of the 3 events he has played for Canada he has been excellent now, I was thinking his World Championships in 2005 was a fluke, but it now appears more likely his performance at the 2006 Olympics was more of a fluke, and that he plays his best on international ice. So Nash-Staal-Doan should be one of Canada's lines for the next World Cup or Olympics. Does anyone else agree.

100% no. I like Doaner, but I think the only time he should wear the Maple Leaf is at an event like this. The Olympics and World Cup have passed him by. As for Staal, no brainer about that. Both of them for that matter, along with the other one, will be a part of Team Canada for a long time to come.

As for Nash, I'm still not sold on him. Him named Tourney MVP is about as big of a shame as Lidstrom winning the Conn a few years ago. Totally undeserved. And it shows that the people or person who decided this, don't know anything about the game. He wasn't even the MVP of the game. And quite frankly, was outplayed by a number of his own teammates in the tourney.

Canadians can celebrate this, and they should. But this is hardly a top level tournament. Colby Armstrong played amazing all tournament, but will never get a shot at the big squad. Same with Lombardi. Commodore as steady, but if Canada had their choice of every defenceman in the country, he wouldn't make the third team. Toews is a star on the rise. But this is a 19 year old who has never played a pro game. Sure, his potential is endless, but it just showed how weak the World Cup was. I still see Nash's play at the Olympics and his play for Columbus overshadowing what he did at the WHC riding the coattails of others.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
100% no. I like Doaner, but I think the only time he should wear the Maple Leaf is at an event like this. The Olympics and World Cup have passed him by. As for Staal, no brainer about that. Both of them for that matter, along with the other one, will be a part of Team Canada for a long time to come.

As for Nash, I'm still not sold on him. Him named Tourney MVP is about as big of a shame as Lidstrom winning the Conn a few years ago. Totally undeserved. And it shows that the people or person who decided this, don't know anything about the game. He wasn't even the MVP of the game. And quite frankly, was outplayed by a number of his own teammates in the tourney.

Canadians can celebrate this, and they should. But this is hardly a top level tournament. Colby Armstrong played amazing all tournament, but will never get a shot at the big squad. Same with Lombardi. Commodore as steady, but if Canada had their choice of every defenceman in the country, he wouldn't make the third team. Toews is a star on the rise. But this is a 19 year old who has never played a pro game. Sure, his potential is endless, but it just showed how weak the World Cup was. I still see Nash's play at the Olympics and his play for Columbus overshadowing what he did at the WHC riding the coattails of others.

He was Canada's MVP....

He killed penalties and also played strong on PP and ES!!!!

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Nash was good throughout the whole tournament, but it's only in the last few games that he found the net. He was excellent two years ago with Joe Thornton and he is still a force this year. If he plays well in the next couple years in the NHL, then YES, he should be on the team in 2010. Staal is also our future and was very good for us so he too should be on the team. Shane Doan, although he's been good, in 2010, I'm not sure he'd be good enough.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'm a big Doan fan but 3 years from now, with ALL the NHL talent available to choose from, there is almost NO chance he will be on the Olympic team, let alone on a scoring line.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC

BFR
(Bolded For Ridiculousness)

Mike Lowrey

Apr 8, 2007
He was Canada's MVP....

He killed penalties and also played strong on PP and ES!!!!

Doan was Canada's MVP. He lead them, they followed. I guess the Bloc didn't succeed in getting the C taken from him, but they should rest easy knowing the MVP was taken from him

I don't know what tournament you were watching, but Nash was a beast with the puck from beginning to end. Open your blinders please.

They are open. They're open enough to see that E. Staal's goal yesterday was far more impressive then nash's was. Totally muff job by the tender. Over played the short side and left the whole left side wide open. Staal's hands to bring it back and put it between the legs while being mugged by the D is something that anyone who has ever thrown on a pair of skates recognizes as pure brilliance.

Shane Doan deserved the MVP. Hell, I could give you 5 other guys who outplayed Nash the last two weeks. Nobody is saying Nash choked like he did at the Olympics, it's just a fact he wasn't the MVP of the tourney.

BFR
(Bolded For Ridiculousness)

Which part? Lidstrom getting the Conn over an amzing performance by Yzerman. Or Nash getting it over an outstanding effort by Doan? FACT is, in both cases, the decison makers got it wrong, and you can't say otherwise.

wildone26*

I am not a Nash fan by any stretch, in fact I am very anti-Nash. I find him ridiculously overrated by some generally speaking. However I will give credit where credit is do, he had a fabulous tournament, and it is the 2nd time in his last 3 World level events for Canada he was outstanding. The one time he wasnt was the Olympics, but in hindsight I was probably overly harsh on him since the entire Canadian team in Turin turned in pathetic deflating performances, except for Brodeur. I agree the World Championships traditionaly does not have the best competition, but he did perform extremely well against the much tougher competition of the lockout year World Championships, and backed it up by doing it here. So while I find him very overrated as an NHL player, still very good, but not up to the hype he gets, perhaps he is a player who shines most on international ice under international format hockey.

I also always said a team never wins anything with Nash on it, and criticized him as having never been on a winning team in anything really. Well he proved me wrong on that, so I have to eat my words on some of my previous thoughts on him. I also said he would never win an individual award, other then an imcomplete stat one(multiple tie for goal scoring title when he wasnt top 20 in points), and he proved me wrong on that too winning the MVP of the World Championships, and that was still over some awfuly good players even if there are not as many of them as the World Cup and Olympics by any means, there are still a fair number of the kind of players from top countries you would find at those events. So he proved me wrong in two different ways. The third way he did is he convinced me his performance at the Worlds two years ago wasnt a fluke, since he did it yet again.

I agree Staal and Doan were also excellent. That is why I suggest having the 3 play together the next time Canada plays at one of the biggest events, particularly seeing what good chemistry Doan and Nash had together here. Maybe have Thornton centre them since Nash also has great chemistry with Thornton, atleast did at the Worlds 2 years ago. Thornton also played well with Doan at the World Cup before that.

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
I also always said a team never wins anything with Nash on it, and criticized him as having never been on a winning team in anything really. Well he proved me wrong on that, so I have to eat my words on some of my previous thoughts on him. I also said he would never win an individual award, other then an imcomplete stat one(multiple tie for goal scoring title when he wasnt top 20 in points), and he proved me wrong on that too winning the MVP of the World Championships, and that was still over some awfuly good players even if there are not as many of them as the World Cup and Olympics by any means, there are still a fair number of the kind of players from top countries you would find at those events. So he proved me wrong in two different ways. The third way he did is he convinced me his performance at the Worlds two years ago wasnt a fluke, since he did it yet again.

Best post ever.

It's good to know you're humble wildone. I just gained some respect for you with this post. I'm sure that wasn't the easiest thing to write. :handclap:

BTW – I agree, a Nash - Thornton - Doan line would be incredible in any international format.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Which part? Lidstrom getting the Conn over an amzing performance by Yzerman. Or Nash getting it over an outstanding effort by Doan? FACT is, in both cases, the decison makers got it wrong, and you can't say otherwise.
Both. Sure, cases could have been made for both Yzmeran and Doan in those respective decisions, but you can't say that it was "shame". That's ridiculous. And Nash dominated the world championships this year. He did not ride the coattails of others. If you think that, you didn't watch the tournament. He should have had at least 2 goals every game with the amount of chances he created.

And...how can you say that Eric Staal's goal was better than Nash's? Staal's was nice for sure, but Nash's goal was huge in terms of the amount of skill it took (he basically had the defenseman on his back a la Mario Lemieux and scored the goal while falling sideways and somehow managed to backhand it in) and the timing of the goal (Finland had just scored to make ir 3-2 and were pressing before Nash scored). And how can you say that the goalie made an error on one and not on the other? On Staal's, the goalie opened up his legs and Staal put it in and on Nash's, the goalie went for the poke check and missed. Both were the results of quick hands.
Nash goal:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HoblXY5AHUc
Staal goal:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AhcEfjNSgF8

Both impressive, but Nash's was much more important--it was a gold medal game, Finland had just made it 3-2. The determination and will combined with the skill is amazing on that goal. Also, Nash didn't even have a breakaway to start that rush. He simply motored through the defenseman. Staal already had a breakaway and fended him off, but the defenseman wasn't draped all over him like he was with Nash.

And frankly, I don't understand your arguments. You make a bold statement (like something is "fact") and then don't elaborate.
"Nobody is saying Nash choked like he did at the Olympics, it's just a fact he wasn't the MVP of the tourney."
"Or Nash getting it over an outstanding effort by Doan? FACT is, in both cases, the decison makers got it wrong, and you can't say otherwise."

How are you proving your point when you state something as "fact" and then don't elaborate on it? And how can you justify it as a fact when it's something as subjective as this? You can have an opinion, but you can't say it's a fact. People will disagree with you and you won't convince anyone that your stance is justified if this is how you try to win arguments.

Last edited:

joe_shannon_1983*

Uh....Who hijacked the account of "wildone26"?

Am I to believe my eyes that a thread like this on Nash, and also some of the posts he has written on Nash in this thread, could come from him?

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003

DOMINATING

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad