For 2010, whoever chooses the US team should pick no one over 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

Maybe an exception if someone is in four years what Modano is today, but this is just pathetic.

The Coles, Gomezes, and Drurys are plpaying with energy and bringing things to the table, but Tkachuk, Weight, Guerin, and others are just big fat ghosts.

Don't get me started on the defense...Hatcher is a red white and blue pylon taking stupid penalties, Chelios shouldn't be there, and even though Schneider got us two goals, he's cost us just as many defensively.

The US isn't going to have much talent for 2010, so I hope they can just pick scrappy players who actually try.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Only disagreement is Chelios, he has been the best US defender in these Olympics.

Obviously he has no chance in 2010, but he has done his job.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
At what point does the US' lack of international success fall on Waddell's shoulders? His record as a GM both internationally and in the NHL has been quite paltry. It's hard to blame him for his team taking two 5 on 3's, but eventually it all falls on his shoulders. I think we've gotten one medal (bronze) in the WC's with him involved. And I think he was Pleau's assistant in that year. Is he just well connected within HockeyUSA or is there just no other choice? I understand that there isn't a lot to choose from (Pleau, Patrick, and Poile are a few that come to mind), and the talent the U.S. has available isn't what it used to be. How many more times do we have to finish out of the medals with Waddell before we move on?

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Vikke said:
Chris Drury will be 34 in 2010. ;)
Cole will be 32. :)

I think you'll have to include a couple of players over 30. The problem the U.S. has is most of it's talent is around 35 and up or around 25 and lower. They should be more talented and faster in 2010 and raring to go in 2016. Amazing how pitiful the U.S. was in producing hockey talent born in the 1970's.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
I don't know how they will pan out in 4 years, but the 2010 US team should be much better because of young guys like J Johnson, E Johnson, Kessel, Ryan etc.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SmokeyClause said:
At what point does the US' lack of international success fall on Waddell's shoulders? His record as a GM both internationally and in the NHL has been quite paltry. It's hard to blame him for his team taking two 5 on 3's, but eventually it all falls on his shoulders. I think we've gotten one medal (bronze) in the WC's with him involved. And I think he was Pleau's assistant in that year. Is he just well connected within HockeyUSA or is there just no other choice? I understand that there isn't a lot to choose from (Pleau, Patrick, and Poile are a few that come to mind), and the talent the U.S. has available isn't what it used to be. How many more times do we have to finish out of the medals with Waddell before we move on?

To be fair, we are in a down time for USA Hockey. A plethora of good players, but not alot of great ones, especially at the forward position. That should change in the near future, but right now it is what it is. As for our success or lack thereof in recent international competition, the bronze at the WC's a couple of years ago was our first medal since 1996, so I'm not complaining too much. The WC's have been a difficult event to get the best Americans involved in, but that's seemed to change a bit.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Waddell sealed his fate with the Ryan Miller fiasco.

The more interesting choice will be on the future of Laviolette as coach.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
acr said:
Maybe an exception if someone is in four years what Modano is today, but this is just pathetic.

The Coles, Gomezes, and Drurys are plpaying with energy and bringing things to the table, but Tkachuk, Weight, Guerin, and others are just big fat ghosts.

Don't get me started on the defense...Hatcher is a red white and blue pylon taking stupid penalties, Chelios shouldn't be there, and even though Schneider got us two goals, he's cost us just as many defensively.

The US isn't going to have much talent for 2010, so I hope they can just pick scrappy players who actually try.

Unfortunately in the Olympics scrappy play is frowned upon. I think our best chance in 2010 is if we take some members of the women's team and combine them with a few from the figure skating squad.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Modano, Chelios, Guerin, Weight, Tkachuk, Roenick, Hatcher, Amonte era is over.

It brought a World Cup Title in 1996, and an Olympic Silver in 2002, but I'd be shocked if any of the above ever plays for Team USA in a Best vs. Best format ever again.

Waddell thought these guys had one run left, it was apparent watching this tournament that they didn't.

Here are my thoughts on the players.

Keith Tkachuk looked ridiculous out there, running around cheap-shotting people, taking dumb penalties, doing nothing offensively, its too bad because he had looked good in the NHL in the limited games he has played

Derian Hatcher & Bred Hedican, these spots should have gone to younger players like Martin and Gleason. I thought we were through with Hatcher when he didn't make the team four years ago, why he was brought back is beyond me. As another post said, he looked like a red, white and blue pylon. Hedican was also a pretty odd pick to me.

Chris Chelios- An absolute warrior, did not look out of place at all, like some said he would. I think his Intl career is over, but I could see him playing another 3 seasons in the NHL.

Jordan Leopold- I like him, but he seems to be content to be a 2nd pair guy when he has the skillset to be an all-star. If he could make the next step by 2010 we would be in better shape.

Jason Blake, Craig Conroy and Erik Cole- These guys are also warriors, they all played gritty and even chipped in some offense.

Mike Modano- Blah, I expected alot more. He could be back in 2010 if he keeps up his NHL pace. But he is questionable.

Bill Guerin- Has done nothing in the NHL, did nothing in this tourney, he should have been left home with Roenick.

Brian Gionta- Great tournament, will be a fixture for Team USA for the for years to come.

Rick DiPietro- No feelings either way, didn't steal any games, but didn't cost any either.

Chris Drury- Will probably be the Captain in 2010, I think he was really under used by Laviolette in this tournament.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Herby said:
Chris Drury- Will probably be the Captain in 2010, I think he was really under used by Laviolette in this tournament.

This was probably the biggest mistake Laviolette made.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Waddell has had his chance with the 2004 WCH and these Olympics and the teams both failed to do anything.

Also his inability to get some experience for the younger players was unacceptable.

Would Paul Martin or Tim Gleason have been that much worse then Hedican or Hatcher? I'd actually argue they would have been better for the team.

I dont want to get into the Miller thing again, but how was he not given a spot over a guy like John Grahame, did they really think Grahame a guy who in his 30's is just now starting in the NHL, would be better off then a guy who is 25 with a bright future ahead of him.

Weight and Guerin get free passes based on their past, whatever I guess, but why not make this a going out party for the old guys and bring Amonte and Roenick as well. I'd rather see someone like Parise, Brown, Eaves or Kesler atleast get some kind of experience.

Time to give someone else a chance to run this thing, I'd like them to go out of the orginization and maybe bring in an ex-player.

lemieux32*

sabresrat said:
This was probably the biggest mistake Laviolette made.

I thought it was not picking Miller...or so you keep telling us...over and over and over and over....

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
lemieux32 said:
I thought it was not picking Miller...or so you keep telling us...over and over and over and over....

I haven't mentioned that since the day the Olympics started, that's when the time to complain was over and time to support the team started.

Laviolette didn't have the final say on the roster anyways. He did have the final say over who to put on the ice.

Choice

Nov 21, 2004
nyc
I think the reason team USA sucked this year is because they were in transition. The Tkachuk, Leetch, Weight class is too old and the crew that won the WJC's is still too young. There aren't enough guys in the tweener group like Gomez and Cole.

I expect USA to be markedly better in 2010.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JohnnyChoice said:
I think the reason team USA sucked this year is because they were in transition. The Tkachuk, Leetch, Weight class is too old and the crew that won the WJC's is still too young. There aren't enough guys in the tweener group like Gomez and Cole.

I expect USA to be markedly better in 2010.

What sucked is we had our chance in every game yet couldn't seal the deal. Let's be realisitic, the U.S. could easily be one of the positive stories of this tournament, including making the semis if a the tables were turned just a wee bit.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
JohnnyChoice said:
I would've preferred it if they had just used the WJC crew at the Olympics, but with the addition of half a dozen of those "tweeners" (Cole, Drury, Gomez, DiPietro, etc.) to provide leadership. They probably would've been better, even.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
As long as Chris Drury isn't at the point on powerplays making terrible giveaways, I would have been happy with him getting more ice time. This team just didn't have that game breaking player on offense. Hopefully Kessel, Ryan, etc will be guys like that who can put it in the net and take over the game.

Don't think the goaltending would have mattered in this tourney as the offense just couldn't finish. Dipietro played alright, Grahame was average, and Esche was just terrible. Miller should have been there over Esche who has been brutal at times this season and his baby actions throughout the process didn't make him any friends. But like I said, I think even with Miller in net, this team finishes 4th at best. US needs an elite Richter-like goalie...Miller isn't there yet, but hopefully he or someone like Montoya is at that level in 2010. 2006 was a throwaway year and a medal was wishful thinking. I think Waddell is done as GM of US teams. Laviolette may be back (I don't think he was that bad, not much to work with against better teams), if not maybe someone like Tortorella can coach in 2010 if he wants the job. Hopefully 2010 brings a better result.

Choice

Nov 21, 2004
nyc
Osprey said:
I would've preferred it if they had just used the WJC crew at the Olympics, but with the addition of half a dozen of those "tweeners" (Cole, Drury, Gomez, DiPietro, etc.) to provide leadership. They probably would've been better, even.

Like who?

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I'm prefacing my statement with a little of 'Hindsight is 20-20'

I was very surprised at how well they played, they really did have a very good chance to win every game, but the result is something everyone was expecting. We have a large number of good forwards, a ton actually. The thing is we just don't have any gamebreakers or go to guys. With that in mind I would have loved for Waddell to try to set us up for the 2010 games by choosing a team stacked with youngsters. Sure we may have done worse but watching Guerin, Tkachuk, and Modano play so poorly was just embarrassing. I'll take rookie mistakes over lazy play any day really. The best guys on the team were the ones under thirty. If we had another line of them instead of a line of geezers we could have kept the energy up all game. Plus in 2010, we'll only have one goalie with Olympic experience and while DiPietro has played well, it would be much easier to go with a guy like Miller in 2010 if he's had the experience. This isn't a whiney Miller should be on the team rant, just saying Waddell should look at the future in building a USA program. Guys should rotate in instead of having wholesale changes in the lineup every four years.

weezman

SensDude said:
I don't know how they will pan out in 4 years, but the 2010 US team should be much better because of young guys like J Johnson, E Johnson, Kessel, Ryan etc.

One would think. However we saw how well that panned out at the WJC this year. :banghead:

Here's to hoping they won't do that again.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
crashlanding said:
I'm prefacing my statement with a little of 'Hindsight is 20-20'

I was very surprised at how well they played, they really did have a very good chance to win every game, but the result is something everyone was expecting. We have a large number of good forwards, a ton actually. The thing is we just don't have any gamebreakers or go to guys. With that in mind I would have loved for Waddell to try to set us up for the 2010 games by choosing a team stacked with youngsters. Sure we may have done worse but watching Guerin, Tkachuk, and Modano play so poorly was just embarrassing. I'll take rookie mistakes over lazy play any day really. The best guys on the team were the ones under thirty. If we had another line of them instead of a line of geezers we could have kept the energy up all game. Plus in 2010, we'll only have one goalie with Olympic experience and while DiPietro has played well, it would be much easier to go with a guy like Miller in 2010 if he's had the experience. This isn't a whiney Miller should be on the team rant, just saying Waddell should look at the future in building a USA program. Guys should rotate in instead of having wholesale changes in the lineup every four years.

The U.S. lost by one goal in four straight games. That's the real story IMO. Good, but not good enough.

mug3n

Jan 15, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
weezman said:
One would think. However we saw how well that panned out at the WJC this year. :banghead:

Here's to hoping they won't do that again.
They're still young. A lot can change in 4 years. Who knows how good those guys can be with a few years of NHL experience under their belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->