FNC Renovations to Prioritize

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Where the heck is this new arena nonsense even being mentioned? FNC is a pretty darn good arena. A couple years back is was rated the top arena. All it needs is a new scoreboard just to keep up with the every changing times.

lol no it wasnt

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Shhhh .... Stop, it's garbage. Stupid. And everything about it is poor. :sarcasm:

I still enjoy the hell out of that arena. Almost all aspects.

I'm not as picky as some I guess :dunno:

There are worse NHL arenas. There are better too.

Pretty much how I feel. I don't really think it's as bad as people make it out to be. Could things be improved? Sure. But there are definitely worse arena experiences out there.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
They're not building a new Sabres arena any time soon and the FNC is not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be

The Pegulas just spent $170 million on HarborCenter which would be pointless without FNC. They didn't build it with a plan to build a new arena within a decade or two.

FNC was also rated the 3rd best NHL arena experience by Stadium Journey last season
http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/05-18-2015/1085/2015-nhl-arena-experience-rankings/

without opening the article how much of that has to do with cost.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
FNC has a LOT of life left in it. I agree that it's highly unlikely that they would even consider another location after building HC.

I agree with Chain, that if something substantial ever happens out back in the DL&W terminal, finding a way to integrate that into the building would be cool.

I also think that the Atrium could use a complete re-design and rebuild. It made more sense I think when the Webster Block was empty, but to me it feels out of place now. I think you could do something really different there.

Oh, and those complaining about congestion getting in, there are 4 places to enter with a ticket.

- Main Atrium
- Account Services
- Parking garage bridge
- HarborCenter bridge

It's MUCH better than it was previously.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I believe the original blueprints called for dual escalators on both sides of the 300's. Adding them would make a difference.

I was just going to make that post. There is clearly room. Might be the single biggest improvement they can make until such time as an extensive reno is needed.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
FNC has a LOT of life left in it. I agree that it's highly unlikely that they would even consider another location after building HC.

I agree with Chain, that if something substantial ever happens out back in the DL&W terminal, finding a way to integrate that into the building would be cool.

I also think that the Atrium could use a complete re-design and rebuild. It made more sense I think when the Webster Block was empty, but to me it feels out of place now. I think you could do something really different there.

Oh, and those complaining about congestion getting in, there are 4 places to enter with a ticket.

- Main Atrium
- Account Services
- Parking garage bridge
- HarborCenter bridge

It's MUCH better than it was previously.

I agree that there is lots of life left in this building and lots of opportunity to do some interesting things within the current footprint. That DLW idea is a great one that will require another entry point and lobby area. The current main lobby has never functioned well and there is ample room for improvement - especially if the DLW concept comes to fruition.

Inside the arena - I think the scoreboard could be updated. I've been to several games in Tampa and while that thing is monstrous - it also does a great job of conveying video, replays, stats and other info. Some have said it's too big. I happen to like it. Back to FNC, I also think there is room for more video information throughout the arena and through wifi. You should not have to take a crap, IMO, without some way of knowing what is going on in the game in video - not just broadcast.

I like Tampa's upper level bar area - but the downside in creating that space is that it cut out a ton of seats. Unless you are right against the rail - you miss a lot and have to rely on video. While that is true - I have also come to learn that there are a lot of people who like being in such a social setting as long as the have ample access to video of the live action. I do think there is a need for - and an opportunity for more social or group watching of the game in the 200 level and 300 levels of FNC. Something with multi-level standing areas would work more effectively in the 300 level, IMO

In the 200 level between the blue lines (or so) I can look out over the main concession area of the 100 level below. I wonder if the current main corridor for the seating in the 200 level could be converted to a social game watching area if the current 200 level corridors were expanded and diverted out over what is now open area. Meaning you'd sort of have to walk around the new 200 level social area between the blue lines. I realize that may not translate well without illustrations.....

Also - the table area on the end of the 200 level opposite the the Harbor Club is an area that could be expanded into a standing area for groups.

Didn't Vancouver announce some sort of sky box level of seating? I am not an engineer but I have been to the Bell Centre numerous times and see the press box that encircles the arena. It is suspended from the ceiling. I see it and look down on it because I usually sit in the 400 level - usually row D, lol. Again - given that I am not an engineer. I wonder if the roof of FNC is strong enough or could be made strong enough to accommodate some sort of luxury skybox structure that rings the arena.

I am guessing that mini suite areas or mini socialization areas in the 100 level are also feasible.

In short - lots of possibilities for FNC before a new arena is needed.

mattyvan

Feb 25, 2014
I for one cant stand the concessions. The options are so basic and limited, and the lobby area is so outdated compared to modern arenas

I would like to see them lease out concessions spaces to local restaurants...... how sweet would it be if a few of the local food trucks set up shop inside a few of the concessions booths at FNC. The food is not horrible, but if we dont have time to get food else wear before the game there is nothing I look forward to eating.

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
I would like to see them lease out concessions spaces to local restaurants...... how sweet would it be if a few of the local food trucks set up shop inside a few of the concessions booths at FNC. The food is not horrible, but if we dont have time to get food else wear before the game there is nothing I look forward to eating.

In was happy this year to see Lanovas name on the pizza. But, only until I tasted it. They should be ashamed to have their name on that crap.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
A fresh coat of paint on the interior of the roof would be good. Starting to see some rust up there.

EDIT: I realize the building is just over two years old, but HARBORCENTER needs a center-hung scoreboard of some sort. We shall see if there are any improvements to HC down the line.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
First Niagara Center at no point ever in its existence was rated the "top arena". It's 20 years old. I made a thread on a new arena last year or so. I think it's a valid topic of discussion, eventually the Sabres WILL need to build a new arena. There is absolutely nothing that is cutting edge or innovative about FNC outside of Harbor Center. Bland concessions/eating options, no interactive activities really, terrible bathroom layout/traffic, bottleneck when entering/leaving the stadium etc. there is a lot that can be improved on for our next arena. It would be nice to have the Bills and Sabres next stadiums be right next to each other. Them sharing a single stadium though is a pipe dream.

I mean the atrium and transit stuff was pretty innovative in 1996, though I still wish Metro went all the way inside.

I actually don't think you're far off. I think a new Sabres arena becomes a huge topic of discussion in 15-20 years (after the Bills stadium). You're going to see a lot of new buildings start to pop up around the league at that time considering that the vast majority were constructed between 1993-2001. It'll be like dominoes... whenever a 90s building gets replaced the other owners will use that as leverage to build a new arena in their market shortly thereafter.

my thought on a new building is this: if it can't be built next door tear the building down and put the team in Rochester for a couple of years. It's obviously not ideal, but to me it's a better idea than losing the proximity to HarborCenter. They're going to have to make improvements to Blue Cross Arena at some point anyway.

Deleted member 27798

Adding a second escalator on each side would be GREAT. Also, it would be great to have a nod to the Aud by taking out the last few rows of the 300's, put up a 4' wall, and sell standing room tix. Of course that would reduce attendance, meaning it will never happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad