Flyers Player Rep (Robert Esche) believes a July 1 deal is likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Esche predicts the red line being removed?

Esche, who expects the rule changes to include smaller goalie pads, no-touch icing and the elimination of the center-ice red line.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
BobEsche said:
"What people don't realize is that the game we used to watch we will never see again,"

"It's a great sport and it always will be, but we let some people run the sport the maybe shouldn't be,"

:amazed:

Ahem, well any guesses as to whom he might be referring?

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
MojoJojo said:
:amazed:

Ahem, well any guesses as to whom he might be referring?

Robert Esche on Gary Bettman:

"We're talking to a madman, a guy who has no rhyme or reason. Personally, I don't even think he is a fan of the game. I think there are a lot of great owners out there, but there is a madman leading them down the wrong path. And unfortunately, we have no control over what is going on right now."

I have no idea who he might be referring to.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Esche said:
"It's a great sport and it always will be, but we let some people run the sport the maybe shouldn't be," Esche said. "We have great players and great owners, and we have to find a way to mesh together.

Can't you just feel the Bettman love from the players...... :sarcasm:

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:

"We're talking to a madman, a guy who has no rhyme or reason. Personally, I don't even think he is a fan of the game. I think there are a lot of great owners out there, but there is a madman leading them down the wrong path. And unfortunately, we have no control over what is going on right now."

Esche for chair of the DNC!

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
getnziggywidit said:

Talk like that really makes the union look good. :shakehead

chiavsfan

Boltsfan2029 said:

They have looked "Good" the entire time. Don't you remember the day the season was cancelled...Gary Bettman came out, and did his press conference in an extremely professional manner.

Meanwhile, the leader of the union, Mr. Idiot came out with his "WHY DON'T YOU ASK THEM, IT'S THEIR FAULT....WAHHHHHHHHHH, THEY DID IT!!! WAHHHHH."

Why would it change now?

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
chiavsfan said:
They have looked "Good" the entire time. Don't you remember the day the season was cancelled...Gary Bettman came out, and did his press conference in an extremely professional manner.

Meanwhile, the leader of the union, Mr. Idiot came out with his "WHY DON'T YOU ASK THEM, IT'S THEIR FAULT....WAHHHHHHHHHH, THEY DID IT!!! WAHHHHH."

Why would it change now?

Dunno, thought maybe they'd learn something by now.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boltsfan2029 said:

The madman quote was quite awhile ago. From memory, Esche did show some respect and actually apologized to Betman for those remarks.... It's still a pretty good bet that Esche has little respect for Betman and they're not on each others Christmas card list (and this new comment (posted below) may indeed be directed towards Betman), but to Esche's credit he did suck it up and apologize for those other words (re: madman).....

EDIT the new comment I'm referring to is the one posted earlier in this thread and pulled from the attached article at the beginning of the thread ... "It's a great sport and it always will be, but we let some people run the sport the maybe shouldn't be," Esche said. "We have great players and great owners, and we have to find a way to mesh together.

Last edited:

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:

I have no idea who he might be referring to.
If GB is a madman who the owners are willing to follow, what does that make Goodenow and the players who support him?

Well done Esche.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Benji Frank said:
The madman quote was quite awhile ago. From memory, Esche did show some respect and actually apologized to Betman for those remarks.... It's still a pretty good bet that Esche has little respect for Betman and they're not on each others Christmas card list (and this new comment may indseed be directed towards Betman), but to Esche's credit he did suck it up and apologize for those other words.....

Good to hear that. No matter how contentious the negotiations, nothing is accomplished by acting in an unprofessional manner. I do remember a "madman" comment for which an apology was issued after a request to do so by the player's GM, but I didn't realize this was the same quote.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Jan 2005 - Esche on Gary Bettman - our league is being led by a madman
:madfire:

Feb - 2005 - Esche on Gary Bettman - I am sorry for the remarks I made
:confused:

June 2005 - Esche on Gary Bettman - someone tell this man what KY jelly is. He is killing us.
:eek:

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
"It's a great sport and it always will be, but we let some people run the sport the maybe shouldn't be"

Hey, thanks for that, Rob, but it was your own fearless leader who led you off the cliff, refusing to negotiate until games were already being lost, refusing to negotiate from a logical or sane basis point, and refusing to accept reality.

Get a clue. And here I thought you were one of the ones who actually had an ounce of sense.

This is a good indicator quote of showing the players haven't really learned anything, they've just been beaten down. They're *still* greedy and clueless. Wouldn't surprise me if they give Goodenow a raise or something.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Mr Sakich said:
Jan 2005 - Esche on Gary Bettman - our league is being led by a madman
:madfire:

Feb - 2005 - Esche on Gary Bettman - I am sorry for the remarks I made
:confused:

June 2005 - Esche on Gary Bettman - someone tell this man what KY jelly is. He is killing us.
:eek:
:D :biglaugh:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don't really care if youre pro-owner or not, its really really hard to like Gary Bettman, just by his personality and the way he talks to people. In every Bettman interview I have ever seen, he talks down to every person, and is by far the most condescending commissioner I ever heard. He also sounds like a very, very arrogant man when he speaks. This has NOTHING to do with Bob Goodenow so please don't compare them, I dont like him either, but im talking about the guy whos suppose to LEAD a league. He's not very fan friendly, and I really do think his attitude pisses players and fans off. From the way he presents himself I can definitely see why some players may not like him one bit, especially if they had to be locked inside a room with him.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
MojoJojo said:
Esche for chair of the DNC!

Actually I thought he was talking about Dr Dean...the current head of the DNC.

Now there's a madman.

Edit: in all honesty your are seriously not toting a full sea bag if you think that both Bettman and Goodenow are not f'ng crazy A-holes.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Crazy_Ike said:
Hey, thanks for that, Rob, but it was your own fearless leader who led you off the cliff, refusing to negotiate until games were already being lost, refusing to negotiate from a logical or sane basis point, and refusing to accept reality.

Get a clue. And here I thought you were one of the ones who actually had an ounce of sense.

This is a good indicator quote of showing the players haven't really learned anything, they've just been beaten down. They're *still* greedy and clueless. Wouldn't surprise me if they give Goodenow a raise or something.

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Crazy_Ike said:

Greedy and clueless? Esche is a starting goaltender and doesn't even make close to $1M. He's one of the guys who is going to get screwed.

Brent Burns Beard