Flyers pick at #21: Claude Giroux, Gaitineau, QMJHL

Eric_27

Jun 26, 2006
Gatineau
PitkanenPower said:
It seems like the biggest "knock" on the guy would be his small frame. Does it seem like this kid can take a hit or two? If this guy can show us that he has the talent we've already talked about AND can hang in there with the rest of them, then I REALLY like the pick.

If I'm a Philly fan right now I would be very excited about this pick. I live in Gatineau (born and raised) and I go to every home game. I saw this kid a lot this year and he's awesome.

First off he plays much bigger than 5'10", he plays like he's 6'3" 210 lbs... Just fearless. He's got grit and he is not afraid to go along side the boards and take a hit in order to make plays. Big talent and big heart. Plus he has super soft hands. He does need to bulk up and I'm sure he'll address this because the Olympiques are expecting big things from him next season.

The only negative thing I have to say about him is that sometimes he's a bit to aggressive and take bad penalties, espescially on the PK. But the his coaches should be able to get that fixed as he matures.

Congrats to the Philly organization on this pick... you will like this kid.

Roger's Pancreas*

Eric_27 said:
If I'm a Philly fan right now I would be very excited about this pick. I live in Gatineau (born and raised) and I go to every home game. I saw this kid a lot this year and he's awesome.

First off he plays much bigger than 5'10", he plays like he's 6'3" 210 lbs... Just fearless. He's got grit and he is not afraid to go along side the boards and take a hit in order to make plays. Big talent and big heart. Plus he has super soft hands. He does need to bulk up and I'm sure he'll address this because the Olympiques are expecting big things from him next season.

The only negative thing I have to say about him is that sometimes he's a bit to aggressive and take bad penalties, espescially on the PK. But the his coaches should be able to get that fixed as he matures.

Congrats to the Philly organization on this pick... you will like this kid.

The last French Canadian Simon Nolet wanted at twenty-two worked out for us. Hopefully Giroux is a little more creative.

FoppaArGud

Jan 18, 2006
PHILLY
Riding the fence on this one

Given where we were selecting and that there were only a handful of guys ready to make an impact in the next season or two, I see this as being one of many guys with skill that needs to add size. That was the theme all around but I think there were some forwards who were a little more mature on the board. Also, Clarke is definitely in the mode of covering his disregard for the new rules which is what is SCREWING the Flyers right now. I dont mind Hatcher but every other move last year was a joke and I actually expect us to get slightly worse this year (for a variety of reasons).

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
I saw Giroux 40 games last season.
This guy is a magician with the puck.
He will take some time to fully develop but in my view, he will eventually have Flyers' fans in a frenzy.
I am a Habs' fan and it still stings that ****ing idiot Trevor Timmins passed up on Giroux for a guy they never even signed.
What's even worse is that Timmins saw the kid at work at least 30 times in 2 seasons, including during Giroux's amazing 2007-08 playoff run.
To top it off, all the influential people around him kept telling him to draft Giroux.
He truly is an idiot and I make sure to remind him everytime I see him. lol

P.S. My 2nd favorite team is Philly now. :laugh:

SgtJoseph*

Loved this thread ! Simon Nolet is a gem of a scout ! Maybe another one of his scouted picks will come up in the 2nd round today ?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I saw him play a few times in Gatineau and he won't be NHL ready before a couple of years, but we never know? We have seen surprises before (Gagné or Bergeron: I am not comparing Giroux with those two, don't shoot me).

Don't worry too much about his size because he likes to be involve in the play and can take a hit to make a play or to finish it. He is talented and has great vision on the ice. That is a player you can count on for big goals because he is confident and he can make a difference. I have to disagree with a previous post that said he was like a more well rounded version of Ales Hemsky. I saw both in Gatineau and Hemsky is definitely the most talented of the two. But we never know, talent isn't everything.

Good pick.

How dare you compare those 2 to Giroux? :sarcasm:

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
The irony here will be that this thread could get bumped again if Laughton tanks to harass those who are defending the pick right now lol.

I don't expect that or want that, but it's reality.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Exactly. Disregard the fact that Giroux had a 100 point season in his draft year :sarcasm:

Exactly. That's the huge difference. Giroux had the production you see from top picks.

Nugent-Hopkins in 2011: 106 points in 69 games
Giroux in 2006: 103 points in 69 games

Giroux was simply criminally underrated. Not so much with Laughton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad