Confirmed with Link: Flyers Help Broker Hanifin Trade To Vegas Through Salary Retention (Receive VGK ‘24 5th Round Pick)

How Will You Grade This

• Total voters

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is where my knowledge of trade and pick value come up extra short. Can someone please explain how jumping through multiple hoops for a 5th round pick is worth it?
In short, because they can.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This is where my knowledge of trade and pick value come up extra short. Can someone please explain how jumping through multiple hoops for a 5th round pick is worth it?

If you got the means, it’s a free pick.

New Jersey retained $1.125M as a third team for a 2026 fourth rounder in the Tanev trade.

Carolina retained $687.5K as a third team for a 2024 sixth rounder in the Lyubushkin trade.

So it’s about right where the Flyers did. $1.2375M for a 2024 fifth rounder.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And the actual money involved is a lot less than the headline number because it's only for a quarter of the season.

There was a dude in the Tanev trade thread shitting on the Devils for paying over a million bucks for a 2026 4th rounder, but it's more like $330K.

Last edited:

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
If you got the means, it’s a free pick.

New Jersey retained $1.125M as a third team for a 2026 fourth rounder in the Tanev trade.

Carolina retained $687.5K as a third team for a 2024 sixth rounder in the Lyubushkin trade.

So it’s about right where the Flyers did. $1.2375M for a 2024 fifth rounder.
I wasn't sure what the cash value of a fifth was. I see so much talk about how picks in the lower first round aren't even guaranteed to become full time NHLers so it makes the really low picks sound practically worthless.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Helping out Vegas doesn't sit right with me.

But I guess someone else would've done it anyway...

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I wasn't sure what the cash value of a fifth was. I see so much talk about how picks in the lower first round aren't even guaranteed to become full time NHLers so it makes the really low picks sound practically worthless.
In my eyes you dont value a 5th round pick as a 5th round pick. When you want to rebuild you need as much assets as you can assemble. Lindblom was a late pick, Ersson also. So if you have more picks in the late rounds over a few years you more likely than not found some good assets.

If you have enough depth in the franchise you dont need more late picks.

But the flyers arent good on elite talent and they arent good with the depth. So they need all picks they can get.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
In my eyes you dont value a 5th round pick as a 5th round pick. When you want to rebuild you need as much assets as you can assemble. Lindblom was a late pick, Ersson also. So if you have more picks in the late rounds over a few years you more likely than not found some good assets.

If you have enough depth in the franchise you dont need more late picks.

But the flyers arent good on elite talent and they arent good with the depth. So they need all picks they can get.

I think draft pick valuation is funny...

people are very dismissive of 5th-7th rounders, but still, around 15% of those picks end up as legit NHL players. And they cost very, very little to get usually. Some GMs just thrown them in. Get ~5 extra over 2-3 years and you pretty much guarantee that you get 1 more #5-6 Dman or bottom sixer... and probably give yourself an extra ~20-30% chance of drafting a top 4 or top 6 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad