Flyers buying out Leclair and Amonte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Flyers26 said:
John had a great run with the FLYERS. It would have been nice for him to finish his career with the FLYERS.
My bet is he ends up wherever Lindros goes.

Ouch, it would make for a very fragile team if their hopes are on those two staying healthy for a season....

SPARTAKUS*

Thank you big John for all the incredible memories you gave us. And good luck to you where ever you play this season.

:handclap: :clap:

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I used to like John LeClair until he held out while under contract. He did the same exact thing that Yashin did, except Philly gave him the money instead of playing hardball like Ottawa did. People forget this.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tekneek said:
I used to like John LeClair until he held out while under contract. He did the same exact thing that Yashin did, except Philly gave him the money instead of playing hardball like Ottawa did. People forget this.
Looks like Bob Clarke didn't forget. :D

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Tekneek said:

He didn't miss a single game and Clarke refused to negotiate until he reported to training camp. Once he was in camp, they worked out a contract. Pretty simple, and no harm done. Definitely nothing like what Yashin did.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
salzy said:
He didn't miss a single game and Clarke refused to negotiate until he reported to training camp. Once he was in camp, they worked out a contract. Pretty simple, and no harm done. Definitely nothing like what Yashin did.

How so? Because he only held out 9 days before he got his reward? If Ottawa had promised the same, Yashin might have reported as well. Ottawa didn't even offer an opportunity to re-negotiate the contract. It is very similar, just that Philly was willing to give in.

Keith Tkachuk also pulled a similar sort of stunt. Except he reported to camp and played in pre-season games until he said he would sit out the last one and would not play another game until his contract was restructured. This was in 1997. Even Peter Bondra was pulling a similar stunt that year.

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Tekneek said:
How so? Because he only held out 9 days before he got his reward? If Ottawa had promised the same, Yashin might have reported as well. Ottawa didn't even offer an opportunity to re-negotiate the contract. It is very similar, just that Philly was willing to give in.

The huge difference is the fact that Leclair was promised a renegotiation and it never materialized over the course of the summer. And, as I said, they refused to negotiate with him until he reported to camp. So he reported to camp. And again, he didn't miss a single game. Yashin missed an entire season. Well, in his most recent holdout he missed an entire season. Not sure how many games he missed the previous time(s) he pulled that stunt.

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Tekneek said:
Yashin insisted he was promised a re-negotiation as well.

So then it becomes a question of credibility. I choose to believe Leclair (a solid citizen and class act and since the Flyers made good on their promise as soon as he came to camp). I don't recall that about Yashin, but if you say so I believe you, but choose not to believe Yashin (in light of his past holdouts, his reneging on the million dollar donation to the (center for the?) Arts, and the fact that his agent is a scum bag and that is well known to be his MO).

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Tekneek said:
Yashin insisted he was promised a re-negotiation as well.

I believe that was only an issue on his first two holdouts. The last one was just because he wanted to.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
reckoning said:
I believe that was only an issue on his first two holdouts. The last one was just because he wanted to.

I remember, at least initially, that the claims were that he was promised a renegotiation if he met particular performance levels. Particularly his 44 goals in the 1998-99 season. That's why the rumors of the impending situation were already circling before that season ended. As it wore on, that was rarely if ever mentioned again. I'm not saying Yashin was right. The end result was exactly how it should have gone.

If John LeClair was in Ottawa, I bet he never reports either, because there was no chance of that new contract. He would have ended up demanding a trade. That's just speculation, but there is a huge difference between the situations those teams were in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad