Confirmed with Link: Flyers aquire Petr Mrazek for a conditional 2018 4th and conditional 2019 3rd

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Heres a still of him "not getting tested."

;)

View attachment 101103

I want to like him, but I just can't.

He has a couple of things going for him: the all white pads + helmet look super snazzy and handles the puck aggressively. Nothing turns me off to a goalie more than refusal to play the puck. How long has it been since Brodeur debuted? Even with the rule changes, adequate passing skills and stick handling are essential...

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Heres a still of him "not getting tested."

;)

View attachment 101103

To be fair, the only reason that save looked really nice was because he had over committed to the near post and his angle was wrong.

I had a coach that used to tell me that - under normal circumstances - good goalies have to make great saves, but great goalies just have to make good saves. That shot was the epitome of that statement.

That being said, I've always liked Mrazek and was even in favor of trading for him last summer. I'm hoping he can keep up this level of play.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Dyslexic?
Yeah.
It's tough at times i have to re-word sentences because a word i want to use i can't spell,sometimes i can't get close where even suggestions has no clue what word im trying to use..My phone comes to the rescue at times but most times its faster and easier to re-word it.Even simple words ef me up.
Numbers make more sense to me.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I want to like him, but I just can't.

I like him, and Hexy deserves credit for picking up a quality goalie at a reasonable cost when all the other GM's knew we were pretty desperate. But I can understand why a Flyer fan might be wary about a goalie.

Mrazek was tested last night and and performed brilliantly, but Montreal also shanked some grade A opportunities that might have found their way into the net if we had been playing Pittsburgh, the Caps, or Tampa Bay.

Petr is athletic and skillful with the puck. I prefer that style, but the trade-off is obvious; he just doesn't cover as much of the net as the big and tall "blocking" style goalies. He's listed at 6' 2" and 181 pounds. I believe the weight, but the height seems a bit "optimistic." Here he is with Jake, who's also listed at 6' 2".

923168802_slide.jpg

As a smaller, more athletic goalie Mrazek will leave room top shelf (just like Bob and Jonathan Quick) in favor of sealing off the bottom third of the net. That's an ok trade, so long as he tracks the puck well and controls rebounds, and his defenders help protect him from rebounds and high quality chances close in.

It's good that Hexy knows a lot about the position and he must have liked what he saw in Petr. It's also good that Dillabaugh has a lot of experience working with smaller, athletic goalies like Quick and Bernier, so Mrazek's style will be familiar.

I like Petr now. I think I'll like him even more when we upgrade our second and third defensive pairings.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah.
It's tough at times i have to re-word sentences because a word i want to use i can't spell,sometimes i can't get close where even suggestions has no clue what word im trying to use..My phone comes to the rescue at times but most times its faster and easier to re-word it.Even simple words ef me up.
Numbers make more sense to me.
Yeah, I gotcha man. I have a cousin who’s dyslexic and they have similar, but different, problems with words.

Don’t worry about it, we know what you mean. If you hadn't have said anything nobody would have even guessed. :)

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hexy had to get a goalie when both ours got hurt longish term. That he seems to have gotten a pretty good one at a reasonable price, knock wood, is a feather in his cap. As a former goalie, I love the pokecheck so I like that Mrazek uses it often!

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
To be fair, the only reason that save looked really nice was because he had over committed to the near post and his angle was wrong.

I had a coach that used to tell me that - under normal circumstances - good goalies have to make great saves, but great goalies just have to make good saves. That shot was the epitome of that statement.

That being said, I've always liked Mrazek and was even in favor of trading for him last summer. I'm hoping he can keep up this level of play.
That's why I wasn't impressed with that save.

I mean he's certainly playing well and I hope he keeps it up, but I fear his positioning might be an issue down the line. Was that an issue when in Detroit? I honestly don't know much about him other than what I've seen here. I love that he's seemingly athletic and can play the puck, but I'm just cautious is all.

Reactions: Starat327

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
High-danger coring chances are high-danger scoring chances. They still have some highly skilled players and Drouin, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty all had chances to score.

It baffles me that you're arguing that Mrazek was not tested in a game that you did not watch.

:laugh:

Both goalies were locked in. Yeah it wasnt the most exciting game but both goalies played well enough to win.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
Just don't run him out of town like that other Czech goalie you had.

You know the guy who was 92-43-22 with a sub 2 GAA and 92.3 Save %.
We run all of our goalies out of town, regardless of nationality. In my lifetime, we've run off Czechs, Americans, Canadians, Russians, Swedes, and Finns. We just drafted a Belarusian, so that should be new ground for us.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Only for away games.

And they only put it on there so Manpig would know that when he sees the "A" on Andy's sweater, he should wear his white blouse. They probably also put it on there so Manpig could remember that the human falling down constantly was called "Andy."

EDIT: ... because A stands for "Away." When you have to come back and edit your shtick so it makes sense, it's probably time to go back to bed.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
this is epitome of a goalie with all the talent and intangibles...all the shit "that cant be taught". needs to improve on positioning, angles and general technique. well this is where a good goalie coach supposedly steps in and earns his money...teach him what can be taught.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
He has a couple of things going for him: the all white pads + helmet look super snazzy and handles the puck aggressively.

Not directly at you, but I am quoting you because you brought it up :laugh:

Has there ever been a study on colours of goalie equipment in hockey? Like having all white pads makes the shooter think ("see in peripheral vision") there is only ice and shooting the puck there? I remeber I read some case for Petr Čech wearing orange in goal for Arsenal but I have never read anything about this for hockey goalies

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Like having all white pads makes the shooter think ("see in peripheral vision") there is only ice and shooting the puck there?
that was the idea when goalies started wearing them...there was even a Canadian company called "Stomp' that made white pads with actual goal net sewn onto front of pads to confuse shooters...called "goalieflage". now it seems goalies are introducing more color back into their gear again.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Even though he posted a shut out I stand by what I said after his first game. He is very athletic and can make fantastic saves, but his fundamentals in both his angles and rebound control seem very shaky. I don't find him a calming influence in the net.

I am really glad Hexy was able to a goalie of his caliber at the price he did, especially considering the Flyers situations, but I think once the shiny new toy effect wears off people will start to feel like he is a more durable version of Neuvy with a slightly higher upside. I still think Elliot takes over the starting role when he returns, but I hope Petr proves me wrong!

Reactions: JPS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad