The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Phew! Bruins make out big in likely divisional realignment

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Points are at a premium.

This isn’t the old 21 club league where the Bruins and Canadiens beat up on the Hartfords and Quebecs of the world and easily made the playoffs every year.

Just remember they followed up a Presidents Trophy win in ‘14 with back to back DNQs.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I couldn’t disagree more with fluto. This is by far the toughest division. We got the top 3 teams in the other division coming over. Everyone besides the devils and sabres finished with an above .500 record and the NYR just landed the top overall pick. This division will be a bloodbath especially with us being down Pasta and Marchand for a prolonged time.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Any truth to the idea that teams will play some 2-3 game "series" with each other during the regular season?

You would have to think so. Having some 'mini-series' between 2 teams reduces travel, which reduces risk of infection, and playing the same team over the course of a few days reduces the chances of infection spreading beyond more than those two teams should a player unknowingly be playing while contagious. As a bonus it makes for good hockey.

But if they end up going with hubs, then I guess at least some of that goes out the window, and if they're particularly onerous in players being away from home for extended periods of time then some will likely begin to opt out. Seems to still be huge uncertainty over how best to proceed.

Reactions: sarge88

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Any chance this altered season has an influence beyond this year?

That idea of multiple mini-series during the season (2 or 3 games in a row against the same team) sounds like a fantastic way to produce rivalries. Imagine having a Dallas 2011 type game in the middle of January and then you’re back playing them again a night or two later? It could certainly lead to players getting up more than usual, but it seems like it’d be a treat as a fan. We always hear things like “these teams meet up again next month!” after a chippy game against Toronto or Montreal. Imagine if it was the very next night? I like the idea of that a lot. A lot like college hockey schedules.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That would be great. The old Adams Division home-and-homes were my favorite part of the schedule.

Probably didn't happen as much as I think, but I remember loving the Saturday/Sunday home and home with a 7:00 p.m. Sunday night game finishing off the weekend in my childhood!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think there's a bit too much hyperbole on both sides. Neither division is a cake walk and neither is a death march -- by any stretch. For different reasons.

Bottom line is the Bruins are a very talented team - but with some clear holes. How they play (shortened season means no room slow starts) and whether they fill some of their holes from within or outside will determine everything.

If they play to their capability neither division worries me one bit as far as the playoffs. If they don't, both divisions are a major problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad