GDT: Florida Panthers @ Red Wings - 7:30 EST - FSD

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Florida played great this game. Only reason they won is because of Howard.

The shots were a bit misleading.
He definitely outplayed Reimer. But Reimer sucked.
Howard played well, but Detroit did score 4 goals and had two goals called back.

You don't win if you don't score.

Reactions: aar000n

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The shots were a bit misleading.
He definitely outplayed Reimer. But Reimer sucked.
Howard played well, but Detroit did score 4 goals and had two goals called back.

You don't win if you don't score.

They didn't play well, but they did execute when opportunities presented themselves. That is something they have struggled with but took advantage of tonight. Reimer had been playing well entering the night, though I totally agree he was bad tonight. He might have been rattled by AA's goal so quick into the game, he just didn't look on top of his game.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
4 in a row. Is this real life?

Despite the team's struggles this season, the fact that Larkin and AA seem to be developing some chemistry is pretty cool.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
this was a good win , AA was the main reason . playing mostly defense and use fast forwards to score the goals . Green was good , not going anywhere.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Meh, couldn't hit the net. Also too small and had cement in his skates.

Frk has some size and hits the net more often, if infrequently. Basically a better Pulkkinen

Disagree, but whateva.

Frk just happened to be lucky enough to be here when the Wings weren't wasting roster spots On Vanek and Ott and Richards etc.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Aren't those just scoring plays when the puck goes into the net? Like they look for high-sticks, goaltender interference, kicking motion, etc?

i looked it up and actually it's in the final minute of the 3rd period and for overtime

In the final minute of play in the 3rd Period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), Hockey Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach's Challenge.

2. Hockey Operations will continue to initiate and be responsible for the review of all goals subject to Video Review under Rule 38.4. Where a Coach's Challenge is available on a scoring play potentially involving "Interference on the Goalkeeper" or "Off-Side," Hockey Operations will, as an initial and threshold matter, determine that the puck entered the net and is a good hockey goal before the play will be subject to further review by means of a Coach's Challenge (or, in the final minute of play or in Overtime, a review initiated by Hockey Operations). If a team requests a Coach's Challenge but Video Review under Rule 38.4 renders such Challenge unnecessary, then the Challenge will be deemed not to have been made and the timeout will be preserved.

Board of Governors approves 2015-16 rules changes

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Good for him.
Was thrown away on waivers and found his way back and got another chance.

Still wish Pulkkinen was here in that role.

Teemu Pulkkinen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Pulkkinen was given chance after chance and sucked. He got plenty of time and was 100% replaceable garbage.

He got lost to waivers and he has played 11 games in the NHL in 2 years. He sucks.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Holland relies on "reading other cities newspapers to gather his info on other teams."- Audio from 97.1

ugh oh....

good win tho boys, keep ruining that draft pic...

"less can be more exciting." - KH

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Holland relies on "reading other cities newspapers to gather his info on other teams."- Audio from 97.1

ugh oh....

good win tho boys, keep ruining that draft pic...

"less can be more exciting." - KH

1) If you take 1 ****ing thing said by 97.1 that isn't a news report from somewhere else to mean anything, MOD. They have maybe one show that doesn't actively dislike hockey as a whole. Not a one of them on the radio know a damn thing about hockey except for maybe Pat Caputo and Pat Caputo is a moronic blowhard. He knows hockey, but he's obtuse about it.

2) Holland clearly has an entire pro scouting staff. He clearly has assistant coaches and other team personnel. Those personnel keep tabs on what is going on with other teams.

I mean, Ken Holland makes enough mistakes and has done enough that he should probably get drummed out of his job without baseless garbage like this. Hell, I'd be floored if this wasn't a "Ken Holland is so stupid.... How stupid is he?! He gets his information on other teams from the newspapers in other cities!" type of scenario. That it was a complete tongue in cheek jab at Holland's failures and doddering nature.

He should retire or be fired. He has made plenty of mistakes recently. But he's also the GM who took a team loaded with old ****s that were paid a ton and kept a team up for a decade as a perennial favorite with the league going out of their way to **** up what the Wings path to success in the 90s was.

Last edited by a moderator:

JiminyCricket

Dec 4, 2015
Kalamazoo, Michigan
getting all these points is a little depressing.... the absolute worst finish to the season would be a draft pick around #10 again

I'd rather be in forever mediocrity if that meant the team trying every night. Why else would you watch them?

Kind of sick of the tank talk. People want the team to lose so they get better draft picks... Who is going to grow on a team that promotes anything like tanking? Who wants to play on a team that promotes tanking? Who builds confidence on a team that promotes tanking?

Let them play. You want draft picks, watch Arizona.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Disagree, but whateva.

Frk just happened to be lucky enough to be here when the Wings weren't wasting roster spots On Vanek and Ott and Richards etc.
You can't disagree Frk uses his body more, and you can't disagree about skating ability. You can absolutely disagree that luck plays a part in Frk's success.

That being said, the big difference for me is Frk thinks the game better. He plays angles and finds open ice much better on the PP. Pulk would wind up from way outside and it's harder to hit the net, or if you are at an off angle it's not going in with the size of the D and goalies these days. Frk plays catch with Green and finds soft spots much better to creep in and actually step into it. That's the diff on him and Pulk...

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You can't disagree Frk uses his body more, and you can't disagree about skating ability. You can absolutely disagree that luck plays a part in Frk's success.

That being said, the big difference for me is Frk thinks the game better. He plays angles and finds open ice much better on the PP. Pulk would wind up from way outside and it's harder to hit the net, or if you are at an off angle it's not going in with the size of the D and goalies these days. Frk plays catch with Green and finds soft spots much better to creep in and actually step into it. That's the diff on him and Pulk...

No, again, I disagree.
I think Frk's skating is no better. I think he does use his body better and forechecks better.
On the other hand, I think Pulkkinen was a better passer and had a wrist shot that was nearly as good as his slapper.
I saw enough of Pulkkinen before he got hurt, when he was on a 20 goal pace playing 12 minutes a night, to know he could play in the league.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Fact is, he lost his job to Athanasiou, who took his spot when Pulkkinen got hurt (not on the PP though).
But I still wish he would have been used with skill. Same with Jurco.
We put in the time developing the guys and then wasted them with chump minutes on defensive lines.
Bizarre.

Frk would be wasted right now, but he's got Mantha playing on the other side.
Frk on line 4 is playing with Mantha and then either Larkin or Athanasiou or Nielsen or Z.
His minutes are low, but at least, lately, he's not playing with David Booth and Scott Wilson.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'd rather be in forever mediocrity if that meant the team trying every night. Why else would you watch them?

Kind of sick of the tank talk. People want the team to lose so they get better draft picks... Who is going to grow on a team that promotes anything like tanking? Who wants to play on a team that promotes tanking? Who builds confidence on a team that promotes tanking?

It's better when they're winning with the young kids gunning.
But I wouldn't cry if Howard upped the ante by trading Green and Howard and any other veteran.

If you do that and they still win, well what the f*** are you gonna do. The kids are just better than we gave them credit for.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It's better when they're winning with the young kids gunning.
But I wouldn't cry if Howard upped the ante by trading Green and Howard and any other veteran.

If you do that and they still win, well what the **** are you gonna do. The kids are just better than we gave them credit for.

Be quite a story if Howard trades himself

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
4 game winning streak. It feels good to win again. But at the same time it's probably gonna hurt us. Ugh I hate playing devil's advocate. Cuz I still feel the team is far from dominance.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
4 game winning streak. It feels good to win again. But at the same time it's probably gonna hurt us. Ugh I hate playing devil's advocate. Cuz I still feel the team is far from dominance.

This is a very soft part of the schedule.
Look who we've beaten.

We got off on the right foot by beating NYR in OT.
We beat a struggling Pittsburgh team that has been getting horrid goaltending at times.
We beat the reeling Senators.
We beat the Panthers, who are coming off a bad loss with rough travel schedule.

All 4 games at home.
All four games with good goaltending (reverse a nearly month long spell of bad goaltending).
All four games with Blash playing Athanasiou big minutes.

The rest of January is pretty soft.
vs Tampa ( then 5 days off)
@ Pitt
@ Chicago
vs Dallas
vs Carolina
@ NJD
vs Phi
vs Chi (then 5 days off)
vs SJ

If they win their home games and lose on the road they go 5-3 and probably gain 2 more points in the playoff race. Say 5-2-1 to be generous.

The reckoning comes in February. But even then, it starts a little soft before heating up.
@Carolina
@Panthers
vs Bruins
@islanders
@Capitals
vs Ducks
@lightning
@Predators
vsLeafs
vs Predators
vs Sabres
vs Carolina
@NYR
---tradedeadline feb. 26)---
@STL

I could see a nice 2-1-1 record to start February, but then they run into the Caps, Ducks, Lightning, Preds, Leafs and Preds again.

I expect they'll go 5-5-4 in February
So that would put them at 27-23-12 after 62 games - 64 points.

My guess is they'd have that on trade deadline day, 64 points in 61 games.
Carolina's point pace would put them at 70 points after 61 games.
Gotta think that at least one team we're chasing can at least keep their current pace, if not improve.
If not Carolina, I'm guessing Pittsburgh.
I can easily see us passing NYI and Philly.

But I don't see us match the pace Carolina is on.
We'd need another 6 points in February.
That's a tall order given the schedule.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Teemu Pulkkinen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Pulkkinen was given chance after chance and sucked. He got plenty of time and was 100% replaceable garbage.

He got lost to waivers and he has played 11 games in the NHL in 2 years. He sucks.

To be fair Pulkkinen had a run of games at one point scoring .3 goals a game or so for about 20 games-25 games but then got injured and never got his groove back when he returned

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

So you complain about tank talk, and then proceed to be the only one here to talk about tanking

Ok bud

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Hardly no way is AA getting dealt unless it's a deal that Holland just can't refuse.

Yeah. He's great. What I'm wondering though is if they think he'll go mercenary again. I doubt it's something anyone besides Athanasiou knows. However, if he might go mercenary again, then he could be seen as just another guy in the last year of his contract. That's probably how he should be viewed, unless they have assurances from him. I think.

What I kinda fear most is that Holland thinks he can get AA to re-up to something long-term, and doesn't mind breaking the bank for him, the same way he doesn't seem to mind breaking the bank for almost anyone. Hoping he's turned the corner on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad