OT: Florida Panthers All-Time Number Team: #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Hey guys, I thought I might start a new fun set of threads that's designed to go through all the numbers Panthers players have ever worn. Each thread will be a poll to decide the best player for that number. When this is all done, I'll put together a list of the Florida Panthers All-Time Number Team

Notes:
  • Some numbers only have one player, so they will represent it by default (and we won't have a thread for them), and obviously some numbers have never been worn and will be skipped.
  • If a player wore more than one number for the Panthers, they will be eligible for all numbers worn. If a player wins a number, they cannot be eligible for another.
  • The voting only matters for the time that player was a Florida Panther. Ignore their work for any other team.
  • In the case of a tie after the 72 hours has completely run out on a poll, we will have a run-off poll to decide that winner.

So far:
Number|Name
1| Roberto Luongo
2| Terry Carkner
3| Paul Laus
4| Jay Bouwmeester
5| Aaron Ekblad
6| Jason Woolley
7| Dmitry Kulikov
8| Peter Worrell
9| Stephen Weiss
10|Pavel Bure
11|Bill Lindsay
12|Olli Jokinen
13|Juraj Kolnik
14|Ray Whitney
15|Jozef Stumpel
16|Aleksander Barkov

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i mean Ryan Johnson maybe??? I bet most dont remember him... but even now i think back to him always being dependable defensive center... good faceoff guy.. pker....

seems like when he hit 82 games or so in his career he would put up 7 goals 14 assists or so...
but now that i look he put up those numbers with us when he was #29 sooooooooooo

Mac it is.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Some real cringers on this list. I chose DMac, but I gave Winchester some consideration as he's a very similar player who plays with tons of effort on the 4th line. I remember Ryan Johnson also providing tons of effort for a Bottom 6 forward. I don't remember Matt Cullen being too bad, but he wasn't here for long. The others yeah....

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Winchester was a unexpected good 4th liner for us.

I rooted for McArdle to succeed due to him having a studdering issue(I had one up until my teenage years).

But, Derek MacKenzie is the best option here.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
While Johnson brought a similar game and was part of one of my favorite if short lived fourth lines (Worrell-Johnson-Ward), I gotta go with DMac here.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
In the #13 thread I said that number was cursed, but it doesn't even compare to the list of players who have worn #17 here.

#17 is our most worn sweater with 16 players dawning it (the all-time numerical roster states Jody Hull wore #17, but unless he wore it in '98 before he was traded I can only find him in #12 :dunno: )
Many of these players who wore #17 were high potential draft picks of the Panthers who never really seemed to live up to their draft hype:

Washburn - 3rd round, #78 in '93
Johnson - 2nd round, #36 in '94
Podollan - 2nd round, #31 in '94
McArdle - 1st round, #20 in '05

Part of me wants to vote for Hay as he is a local guy to me (as is Hull), both 20 min. away.

There's so many just OK players it makes it hard to choose. I feel like MacK will win because he is the most current Panther to leave an impression on us. Everyone else was so average it almost hard to remember.

But what I do remember is Johnson could never seem to catch a break here. Whether it wasn't be in with the coaching staff's good books, or injuries ('02), or just couldn't get a chance ('99 - 1 GP, 1 G). He was the original DMacK.

I am going to vote for Johnson, but if anyone can find evidence of Hull wearing #17 (even though most of his damage was done in #12), then my vote will change. I will hold off voting until I hear back, and will then vote for Johnson before the poll closes.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I voted for this guy.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18880-1428590380-5.gif

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
How can McKenzie wins this so easily? Only played a half season here and already the best. Kind of sad for the others.

Wander

May 12, 2014
Easy to vote for the current guy when he's having a good season in a team playing the best regular season hockey in its history.

May be unfair for some of the other guys, but most people here - like me - probably didn't see them play and statistically nobody really stands out.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Where's #18 and on? I missed most of the votes, I'm getting impatient to get my say :sarcasm:
It's because you've become old and crotchety.

What am I saying, you've always been old and crotchety.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
How can McKenzie wins this so easily? Only played a half season here and already the best. Kind of sad for the others.

Greg Adams: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered.
Viacheslav Butsayev: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered.
Matt Cullen: Good player, but ownership ruined it by trading him.
Mike Foligno: Good player, but wasn't here for too long.
Dwayne Hay: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered.
Ryan Johnson: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered.
Filip Kuba: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered, horrible contract.
Derek MacKenzie: Hard-working fan favorite who is a part of something right now and hopefully that something doesn't stop anytime soon.
Jon Matsumoto: Played like 1 game, who cares.
Kenndal McArdle: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered.
Garth Murray: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered.
Jason Podollan: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered.
Dave Tomlinson: Was a part of nothing, not very good, hardly remembered.
Steve Washburn: Was a part of the early runs, but doesn't stick out in terms of skill whatsoever. Not really remembered.
Jesse Winchester: Similar to Dmac, but was a part of nothing.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
In the #13 thread I said that number was cursed, but it doesn't even compare to the list of players who have worn #17 here.

#17 is our most worn sweater with 16 players dawning it (the all-time numerical roster states Jody Hull wore #17, but unless he wore it in '98 before he was traded I can only find him in #12 :dunno: )
Many of these players who wore #17 were high potential draft picks of the Panthers who never really seemed to live up to their draft hype:

Washburn - 3rd round, #78 in '93
Johnson - 2nd round, #36 in '94
Podollan - 2nd round, #31 in '94
McArdle - 1st round, #20 in '05

Part of me wants to vote for Hay as he is a local guy to me (as is Hull), both 20 min. away.

There's so many just OK players it makes it hard to choose. I feel like MacK will win because he is the most current Panther to leave an impression on us. Everyone else was so average it almost hard to remember.

But what I do remember is Johnson could never seem to catch a break here. Whether it wasn't be in with the coaching staff's good books, or injuries ('02), or just couldn't get a chance ('99 - 1 GP, 1 G). He was the original DMacK.

I am going to vote for Johnson, but if anyone can find evidence of Hull wearing #17 (even though most of his damage was done in #12), then my vote will change. I will hold off voting until I hear back, and will then vote for Johnson before the poll closes.

It will forever remain a mystery if hull ever wore #17.

So therefore I vote for Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad