Florida Panthers 2017 HFNHL Draft Review

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Similar to last year (when the team had a great draft, at least IMO), the Panthers went into this year's draft with a bevy of quality draft picks thanks to the retooling that the team had done the last few years. Te 2016 and 2017 drafts will be important to the team's success moving forward. Let us examine the selections Florida made.

1. Kristian Vesalainen 1/19
I know he struggled during the regular season and bounced around a few teams, but I need to take players with high upside and I see Vesalainen as a potential home run pick. Was extremely impressed by him at the U18's.

2. Michael Dipietro 1/28

I fully expect Dipietro to go lower in the NHL draft, perhaps much lower because of his size, but the dude is an amazing kid and a true winner. The best goaltending prospect the OHL has produced in years. After moving on from Jonathan Quick (even with Matt Murray), I thought it was important to jump on the player I felt was the best goalie available this year.

3. Grant Mismash 2/42
Josh Norris was generating a lot of buzz lately, but Mismash is the guy I felt was the best draft eligible player on that US U18 team this year. Got a real Trent Frederic vibe from him and his selection by me certainly turned out pretty great, so why not go for it again?

4. Jonah Gadjovich 2/56
A personal favourite of mine from the OHL and I was a little shocked to see him still available at 56. Throwback player who knows his role and has considerable scoring skill. Skating may limit his upside, but I couldn't pass him up.

5. Dmitri Samorukov 3/81

A true boom/bust player IMO. Saw him a lot this year. Sometimes he was god awful. Other times, fantastic. But he did get a lot better in the second half and is trending upwards IMO. Lots of potential from the backend.

6. Nate Schnarr 3/83

A kid who had yet to become the sum of his parts. Played in his first year in the OHL and showed a lot of promise. Needs to get stronger. But once he does, I think he could be a really good two-way center with size.

7. Ben Miragaes 3/90
I've had some success over the years taking USHL defenders so I always try to draft one or two. I like the profile of Miragaes as a smart, smooth skating defender with size.

8. Jack Rathbone 3/91
Another thing I like to do with my third rounders is try to take the player with the most upside. Rathbone is an extremely raw offensive defender out of high school on the East coast, but I've read some things I really like about him and figured he'd be worth a shot.

9. Cayden Primeau 4/101

Came into the year in contention as one of the better goalies available, but had a real up and down year. But his Hlinka performance this past summer sold me on him from the get go. And Keith was one of my favourite players growing up. Was my #1 target in the 4th round and gives my system terrific depth at the goaltending position.

10. Kirill Maksimov 4/111
Maksimov was another big target of mine among 2nd day picks. He exploded post trade to Niagara. I think his offensive potential is very high as a goal scorer. If he can continue to grow and find success with a very talented, young, IceDogs team, he could look like a steal in the future.

11. Sergei Zborovsky 4/112

WHL +/- champion and a rock on the backend for Regina the past two years. Thought he looked good at the WJC's this year. Was a 3rd rounder of the NY Rangers and I think he's a quality defensive prospect who probably tops out as a quality #5 who can kill penalties. Rangers system isn't great so hoping he can move fast.

12. Tyler Inamoto 4/117
Loved Inamoto's physicality on the backend at the U18's. Thought he and Max Gildon were the two best defenders on that team. Not sure what the offensive upside is, but he looked like he could be an NHL player IMO.

13. Antoine Crete-Belzile 5/140
At the beginning of the year, this was a guy getting first round consideration. Had a very strong Ivan Hlinka tournament as a mobile two-way defender. But had a very tough draft year with injuries. I think he's a better player than he showed this year.

14. Jordy Bellerive 6/163

Another guy who impressed me at the Hlinka. High energy guy. Undersized, but had a very good 2nd half and playoffs for Lethbridge. Former 2nd overall pick in the WHL who could develop into a high scoring forward.

15. Kole Sherwood 7/217
An overage prospect for the draft, and only the 2nd one I picked up after Zborovsky. Sherwood had a terrific OHL season in Flint. The NHL Blue Jackets prospect has a great shot and good wheels for a big man, something that could make him a strong pro player.

Brent Burns Beard