Florida Panther High's and Low's

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Haven't really put up any sort of article in a while because I've been swamped with school work, so I thought I'd just go through quickly some high points and low points to the early NHL, AHL, CHL seasons of HFNHL Panthers.

Thankfully for me, the high points, especially on the prospect front are quite superior in number to the low points.

High Points:

NHL:
Brian Campbell - Soupy takes another step forward this year after breaking out offensively last year. This year he's come back and really rounded out his game. He's been playing nearly 30 minutes a game lately. Dare I say that Campbell is looking like a lock for the all star team this year, and might be rounding into one of the better two way defenseman in the league?

Daniel Cleary - As some of you may know, I've been a huge fan of Cleary since his junior days. He kind of really got me into following junior hockey (along with maybe Daniel Briere) when I was like 13. So i have had a tendency to keep him on my roster (similar to Scott Barney), in hopes that he breaks out. Last year he finally found a home in Detroit as a 4th liner and worked hard on their PK. This year, well again, dare I say it? He's broken out? He's never going to be that superstar he was touted to be, but he's certainly looking to have become a more than useful NHL'er. After all, he does lead the Red Wings in goals this year and is on I believe a 7 game point streak. Looks like he may be the next Maltby/Draper.

Ray Emery - So glad that he has outperformed Martin Gerber. I was pretty confident that he would win the starting spot back by Christmas and it looks like he may have already in November.

Johnny Oduya - The newly signed Oduya has been a monster for the NJ Devils so far in his rookie season. I signed him based on the fact that I believed one day he would become a very capable NHL defenseman, but it is looking like sooner or later. Firmly entrenched in the Devils top 4, his minutes have only been increasing more and more. The points are slowly starting to come around too.

AHL:
Cal O Reilly - a compensation 7th rounder (one of the last 6 picks of the draft) in 2005. Had a very strong 19 year old season for Windsor were he accumulated 81 assists. Managed to earn a contract and in his first season in the AHL, he's been producing incredibly well. He has 4 goals and 9 assists in 15 games and is looking like he could follow the path of another former, smaller Spitfire named Kyle Wellwood.

Tom Gilbert - another AHL rookie, Gilbert has really become a strong prospect. After performing incredibly well in the Oilers training camp, he's started the year with 2 goals and 7 assists in 14 games, when offense isn't even his strong suit. Look for him to be in the NHL sooner rather than later.

Jonathan Sigalet - after having an excellent season as a 19 year old in the AHL, he's improving even more. So far, 5 goals and 4 assists in 16 games, still as only a 20 year old.

CHL:
Bryan Little - performing as expected of course. Here's hoping he nails down a spot on the WJC team this year

Kaspars Daugavins - 26 points in 25 games for St Mikes, the import has really shown that he is a serious prospect

Cal Clutterbuck - Right around par for Clutterbuck, he's producing around the same level as last year and remains one of the most hated OHL players because of his devastating physical play. Raffi Torres part deux me hopes!

LOWS:

NHL:
Mike Richards - finally scored his first goal of the year today, which is a concern. Still playing a ton though and the coaching staff appears to have supreme confidence he'll start finding the net sooner or later.

Raffi Torres - much like Richards, has had some serious trouble finding the net this year. 3 goals so far. But unlike Richards, he's also found his playing time decreased. Not about to trade in my Torres jersey just yet though!

Brent Burns - Here's hoping the Wild trade him soon, because I really can't take this shuttling back and forth between forward and defense crap. He's such a talented player and it's wasted. He's playing a decent amount right now, but as a forward where his potential isn't nearly as great. It boggles my mind because he was apparently playing so well on defense and then forward injuries occured and Lemaire shifted him again and hasn't moved him back. This is despite Wild fans saying that a lot of their defenseman, especially Kurtis Foster just haven't played well at all. PLEASE MINNESOTA TRADE HIM

AHL:
Evan Mcgrath - off to a slow rookie AHL season, with only 5 points in 15 games. But I pretty much expected that he'd need some seasoning. I expect the numbers to increase a bit as the season progresses and he goes through a learning curve.

CHL:
Felix Schutz - got off to a slow start offensively with 6 points in 10 games and then hurt his knee and has been out since. Is expected back within the next 2-3 weeks from what I've heard though.

Victor Oreskovich - I suppose that 19 points in 24 games isn't terrible, but he is playing for a contract. He had, from what i've read, an excellent training camp with the Avalanche so I was really hoping he'd go back to Kitchener and explode offensively. We shall see.

HFNHL Red Wings

Instead of waiting for Minnesota to trade him why don't you just trade him to me and relieve yourself of the stress :D
With the bunch of 'no talents' on the Battalion this season I have to reminisce about the good old days.

On a sidenote good pickup on Oduya. Similar to your comment about missed opportunities on Dennis I had Oduya flagged as a guy to grab. Unfortunately, instead of grabbing him for my own team when I had the chance I had been waiting to hear if I needed to step in temporarily for one of the 'neglected' HFNHL teams and was going to sign him for that team. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->