Flood of NHL players in Europe should make their potential earnings drop next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
NHL players will be desperate for jobs next year so teams in Europe will have a great selection from which to choose. If they remain patient they should be able to land most if not all NHL players for a salary more in line with what they paid prior to the NHL work stoppage.

It's not unreasonable to believe that NHL players in Europe next year will be lucky to get an AHL level salary. Good luck to all of you trying to land a job.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
JWI19 said:
There is this thing call the Rant thread. Maybe your posts would be better off there.

There is a local police force looking for parking enforcment officers if all you want to do is police this board. Contribute to the thread or simply ignore. You have a choice.

This is not a rant = it's a fact that could make for some interesting discussion if you open your mind.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
The lower and middle tier players need to wake up and realize they are the really getting hosed in this situation--this is not just toeing the league line this is hurting their families by significantly reducing their career earnings potential. Just because their leaders are jumping off a cliff does'nt mean they have to also.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Well, if the season is cancelled and the owners start to head towards impasse, I think you'll see some players get together to organize their own little league. If the season is cancelled this week, they have lots of time to start planning this for next fall.
I could see a 10 team league in the big cities with a decent roster of stars, playing for gate receipts plus whatever TV money they could get. Not the huge money they're used to, but I'm sure that they could get more then AHL money doing it this way.

Dave141

Aug 31, 2004
There is also grumbling (and I think valid concerns at that) about all these NHLers in Europe and the negative impact it is having and will have for the domestic leagues. Up and coming players are not getting the experience at the level they were before because there are NHLers taking their spots, thus slowing development at all other levels.

Thus, there are more changes coming to the hockey landscape as a result of this action. :banghead:

alexmorrison said:
Well, if the season is cancelled and the owners start to head towards impasse, I think you'll see some players get together to organize their own little league. If the season is cancelled this week, they have lots of time to start planning this for next fall.
I could see a 10 team league in the big cities with a decent roster of stars, playing for gate receipts plus whatever TV money they could get. Not the huge money they're used to, but I'm sure that they could get more then AHL money doing it this way.

Not likely. You need a place to play, and most, if not all of the premium hockey arenas in North America are pretty much occupied.

At most you'll see Harlem Globetrotter style "tours" of traveling NHLPA All-Stars

chiavsfan

Well, if the season is cancelled and the owners start to head towards impasse, I think you'll see some players get together to organize their own little league. If the season is cancelled this week, they have lots of time to start planning this for next fall

And where are they going to play? Most of the arena's are taken by the NHL, or have other uses beyond hockey. There has been a lot of talk about a "players" league...it's a lot harder than it sounds

Poster before this beat me to it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->