Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Here's my opinion:
1. Draft the best guy you think can help your team right now. As far as I see it, we need goal scorers. Draft forward with talent.
2. Euro pick - with both Euro's being questionable to return, Max being OA and Euro, Alexandrov ??? to be returned. Again, pick forward.
3. Second and later rounds look to defense.

OA's See how it plays out. Nilsen and Collins are solid but not spectacular. Its up to the front office to keep them or let them go as well.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Looks like a sellout for our Firebirds tonight. Way to send these boys out with a big crowd. Best of luck to our overagers (Colella, Smerck, and Forrest) and any others that will not be back. Thank you for your efforts!

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don't get the opportunity to get down to Detroit or over to Ontario to watch prospects much and raaaarely use the chance when I do, so I can only base an opinion on scouting reports, mostly from posters on here. Some of which I know they know their game. Others who may not have a clue. I'm also aware I'm probably not the guy you want assessing talent at the draft table even if I did get around to MM games. I trust Joe Stefan and company to make the right choice with who will report. I would hope they go with the best forward that will for sure report and it appears there will be a few quality choices. If I had to wager right now? I'd put my money on Vierling.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Isn't Stranges college bound? I have been saying Vierling for awhile now, but I too trust Stefan and the scouting team to make the right decision.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Isn't Stranges college bound? I have been saying Vierling for awhile now, but I too trust Stefan and the scouting team to make the right decision.

University of Michigan - two years from now.. Yeah, Vierling or Cuylle seem like great options for the 2nd pick.
I’ll bet Stranges does not get past Saginaw's 2nd picks.
What is Stephan’s current role? B.Branch is GM & president of hockey operations?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
University of Michigan - two years from now.. Yeah, Vierling or Cuylle seem like great options for the 2nd pick.
I’ll bet Stranges does not get past Saginaw's 2nd picks.
What is Stephan’s current role? B.Branch is GM & president of hockey operations?
Joe Stefan has been head of scouting for at least the last little while. I think ex-GM Terry Christensen might have run that first draft. I think Joe has done a stellar job helping choose kids who will report over the last two years. I'm thrilled with their group of 16 and 17yo's and that's WITH all the issues the city and organization have had during their time here. Branch apparently has hired his brother as a scout and that concerns me a bit. Last year George Burnett and Joe Stefan were in house and on the concourse many nights. Both were fairly approachable all things considered. Branch obviously hasn't been around much and I haven't seen Stefan around in awhile either. He could be out scouting or maybe when he is in town, he's just been up top watching from a different location.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
—-Joe Stefan is Assistant General Manager & Director of Player Development

—-Dave McParlan is the Firebirds Head Scout

Both have done a very good job.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Been a little distracted but I should take a second to thank Smereck, Forrest and Colella for their time in Flint. It was nice to see Jalen take a second at center ice by himself post game and for quite a few classy Spits players to come over to him after the horn. All 3 OA's stuck it out through a rough season and played hard during trying times. Garrett didn't always get a fair shake or the support he deserved but ended his OHL career with a win against the top team in the CHL. All 3 were also excellent value at the cost too. I'd give up what we paid for them ANY day. I'll probably try and catch Jalen in GR or Toledo next year if possible and wish Garrett and Maurizio the best. They will be missed.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Are you implying the Flint organization is tampering, prior to the draft? Interesting wearing a Flint jersey, can we actual see the photo of this, I would like to send that to league office.

Trust me, Sudbury will take Quinton Byfield, I spoke to owner Dario Zulich myself. My understanding Byfield will have no problem going to any team that drafts him.
Great to hear glad kid will go to whoever

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
If I am not mistaken, Flint should have the following picks:

Round 1. 2nd overall pick
Round 2. 22nd pick
Round 3. 45th pick (MIS Round 3 pick)
Round 4 62nd pick
Round 5 82nd pick
Round 6. 102nd pick
Round 7 122nd pick
Round 8 142nd pick
And so on through Round 15. We have one pick per round.

Also, Flint should have the 6th overall import selection.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
If I am not mistaken, Flint should have the following picks:

Round 1. 2nd overall pick
Round 2. 22nd pick
Round 3. 42nd pick
Round 4 62nd pick
Round 5 82nd pick
Round 6. 102nd pick
Round 7 122nd pick
Round 8 142nd pick
And so on through Round 15. We have one pick per round.

Also, Flint should have the 6th overall import selection, and the 12th overall selection.

The 3rd round pick will be different. Rest should be correct.

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Mississauga 3rd
Flint 4-15th

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I've followed this sites mock drafts most of the year.

At one point it had Busby and Roberts listed

Now the current 3 guys are Ty, Holmes, and Wismer.

Flint Flint - Draft Picks - NHL - DraftSite.com
Thanks for the link. I usually don't try and bug the NHL scouts too much but there's a few I've talked with lately and I wouldn't COMPLETELY rule out McCourt or Busby. As one scout mentioned about Busby "there's always next year too" which may actually work out better for him. He was getting a 3rd-4th round grade at one point last year. If he does go this year it will be very late. He could get scooped up next year though following a solid season. Andrew Shaw was passed over twice and went from 3rd line in OS to 3rd line for the Stanley Cup Champs in a year. Holmes was really strong returning from injury. If I had to put money on it, I think you'll see Dellandrea, Holmes and Roberts go with maybe one of Wismer, McCourt or Busby. It would be unreal and completely awesome to see all 6 get snagged though huh?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Busby get taken in the late rounds as a low-risk, high-reward type of pick. I think if you had told any scout that you could have him for a 7th round pick this past August, they'd have jumped on it. Also, I gotta think that Roberts would be selected before Wismer does, but what do I know...???

EDIT---Just checked your link to the projected draft picks, and it has Connor Roberts getting taken in the 7th by Calgary. He's still listed as a member of the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Reactions: MJ5

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Busby get taken in the late rounds as a low-risk, high-reward type of pick. I think if you had told any scout that you could have him for a 7th round pick this past August, they'd have jumped on it. Also, I gotta think that Roberts would be selected before Wismer does, but what do I know...???

EDIT---Just checked your link to the projected draft picks, and it has Connor Roberts getting taken in the 7th by Calgary. He's still listed as a member of the Hamilton Bulldogs.

They must have switched it back some how, the previous one had him listed with Flint and going late 5th I think.

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So even though the Firebirds aren't in it this year, if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Watched Coach Oulahen’s end of season interview with ABC TV-12. I am still hoping for a forward/center selection in the priority draft, but think there is a very good chance D-Men like Drysdale, Moore, and Power are under serious consideration.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
OHLInsiders.com has Flint taking D Lleyton Moore with the 2nd pick. They say this has been their consistent pick. They have C/F Evan Vierling going 3rd to Petersborough. I think Vierling makes more sense for Flint.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
OHLInsiders.com has Flint taking D Lleyton Moore with the 2nd pick. They say this has been their consistent pick. They have C/F Evan Vierling going 3rd to Petersborough. I think Vierling makes more sense for Flint.

I'd agree a forward makes more sense, but hearing some of these guys talk about the top end D available in this draft a D man wouldn't surprise me.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
One scouting report i read said he is an offensive minded defensemen. Kind a small though. 5 ft 8 ins 155 lbs.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Some of the mock drafts I've seen clearly don't take team needs into consideration. A 5'8" Offensive minded D when they will have 18yo Busby and 18yo McCourt already? Doesn't seem likely or make much sense to me. I admit some of the comments I've seen on Drysdale make him sound appealing and the footage I've seen looked good but I hope they go after one of the high-end forwards. Just take a look at how 17yo Merkley and 17yo Lalonde are doing. Drafted 1st and 2nd overall. I hope if Flint spends that pick on a D that they are better than those two are when they're 17 and its Flint's go for it year.

Reactions: Gensdef
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad