Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Hard to get a pic when u are driving down 69 by yourself. i also noticed it was gone when i went to the game. Probably just up when he first got there in the afternoon for a tour. He was there sat in section 12

Makes sense. Don't think the team wants to draw too much attention to that. I know what he looks like, but I was in sec 17, so I didn't see him, but I believe you.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That looked more like the Owen Sound that was picked to win the West this year. Goal is still a question but that's quite the roster. Zach Pilon was the only plus player tonight. There's gonna be a numbers crunch on D next year and I really hope it doesn't have to be him. He's still raw and circumstances have influenced his +/- but I thinks he's gonna be a solid OHL D in the future. Alexandrov managed to go -6. He's improved a lot this year and seems like a great kid but he's the unfortunate odd man out in my book.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
So...Flint's remaining games are Fri and Sat. Sudbury plays games on Fri, Sat and Sun. That Sunday game can potentially allow Sudbury to control their own destiny for the #1 overall pick. I don't believe that the players on the ice would give anything less than their best effort, but their management has already shown that they're not above adding call-ups to the roster in suspicious situations. What do you think...if all things are equal on Sunday morning, how hard does Sudbury work to win that game???

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Can't do anything about anything Sudbury does or doesn't do. Just have to watch it play out and see what happens. It is what it is as they say.

Reactions: i luvallsports

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I know Owen Sound is better than us but still, that was a poor effort on home ice.
Flint is being smart and considering their future going forward. Byfield is being touted as a franchise player who could quick start a team like Flint. Sudbury on the other hand has had ample opportunities to seal the first pic however they chose to preach winning and finishing hard to set an example of what the organization stands for. That is fine and dandy but get with the program, think ahead, join the fold that tread in the grey waters. You want a winner? Well you better learn how to steal candy from a baby. Good guys finish last, unfortunately not in this case. Trust me know one is thinking any less of Flint for addressing their future by any means they can.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Can't do anything about anything Sudbury does or doesn't do. Just have to watch it play out and see what happens. It is what it is as they say.
It sure will both teams have there fate in there on hands and a lot of scenarios. Sudbury has 2x Barrie which still has a shot @ #1 in the east conference & Oshawa which is fighting for home ice advantage, And Flint has SSM which has nothing to play for and your last game Windsor there in the playoffs and can choose there poison Kitchner or Sarnia but I'm sure they would want to play Kitchener should be very interesting last couple of games for the fight for the 1st overall pick how wants it more :popcorn:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Flint is being smart and considering their future going forward. Byfield is being touted as a franchise player who could quick start a team like Flint. Sudbury on the other hand has had ample opportunities to seal the first pic however they chose to preach winning and finishing hard to set an example of what the organization stands for. That is fine and dandy but get with the program, think ahead, join the fold that tread in the grey waters. You want a winner? Well you better learn how to steal candy from a baby. Good guys finish last, unfortunately not in this case. Trust me know one is thinking any less of Flint for addressing their future by any means they can.
Flint has been icing their roster about the same as all season and the coach has been playing them about the same too. I don't think any of the players on either team are intentionally trying to get that first pick. There's 6 Firebirds that either will be drafted or have at least a slim chance and there were 18 NHL scouts in the house. You think any of them intentionally sucked last night? There's somewhere between 3-6 kids who's OHL careers are about to end. I doubt they're packing it in either. Flint is really young. When the scored in the first period there were 3 16yo's and 3 17yo's on the ice. It wasn't the Firebirds best night and that Owen Sound team is just flat out good. There's a reason they were OHL pre-season favorites, they've just had goaltending issues that were never truly fixed and injuries.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Flint has been icing their roster about the same as all season and the coach has been playing them about the same too. I don't think any of the players on either team are intentionally trying to get that first pick. There's 6 Firebirds that either will be drafted or have at least a slim chance and there were 18 NHL scouts in the house. You think any of them intentionally sucked last night? There's somewhere between 3-6 kids who's OHL careers are about to end. I doubt they're packing it in either. Flint is really young. When the scored in the first period there were 3 16yo's and 3 17yo's on the ice. It wasn't the Firebirds best night and that Owen Sound team is just flat out good. There's a reason they were OHL pre-season favorites, they've just had goaltending issues that were never truly fixed and injuries.
We will,see what happens against Windsor:popcorn:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The wolves organization seemed to do every thing it could to lose from game 2, imo

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Just compared win loss records since January first of the 2 worst teams in the league but I'm not gonna needle anyone over it. Look for yourselves.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
An outsider looking in,If I was a Flint/Sudbury fan I would want my team to tank and why I say this who cares if the coaches want to finish strong,If you didn't want to be in this situation why didn't you play more desperate earlier, And your going to say 1st or 2nd pick doesn't matter both are great players, but getting the 1st overall draft pick and you have the choice what player you want and not getting the other that you may not of wanted.If I was a Flint/Sudbury fan I would want my time to tank, My opinion.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
It sure will both teams have there fate in there on hands and a lot of scenarios. Sudbury has 2x Barrie which still has a shot @ #1 in the east conference & Oshawa which is fighting for home ice advantage, And Flint has SSM which has nothing to play for and your last game Windsor there in the playoffs and can choose there poison Kitchner or Sarnia but I'm sure they would want to play Kitchener should be very interesting last couple of games for the fight for the 1st overall pick how wants it more :popcorn:

That could be all over tonight if Hamilton gets a point in Niagara

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
An outsider looking in,If I was a Flint/Sudbury fan I would want my team to tank and why I say this who cares if the coaches want to finish strong,If you didn't want to be in this situation why didn't you play more desperate earlier, And your going to say 1st or 2nd pick doesn't matter both are great players, but getting the 1st overall draft pick and you have the choice what player you want and not getting the other that you may not of wanted.If I was a Flint/Sudbury fan I would want my time to tank, My opinion.
Couldn't agree more.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
You may want us to tank, but remember, these coaches are teacher's too. They are trying to teach and develop these youngsters the right way. What the fan and what the coach want may be different things

Reactions: Toldyaso

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
You may want us to tank, but remember, these coaches are teacher's too. They are trying to teach and develop these youngsters the right way. What the fan and what the coach want may be different things
For sure however giving the coach call ups and fourth liners to develop and teach in critical parts of the last few games would not be all that bad would it?:sarcasm::thumbu:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For sure however giving the coach call ups and fourth liners to develop and teach in critical parts of the last few games would not be all that bad would it?:sarcasm::thumbu:
I guess, but that would be the General Manager's call, unless he is both.

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI

Sudbury's existence is pretty much building for next season. 4 years without even a winning season. Flint even did it last season...and Flint plays in a Western Conference that generally has great teams that outclass the East's best. The year before that, the Firebirds had their entire team quit and fired the coach twice in the same season and still managed 8 more points than the Wolves that year. I get that Sudbury has had similar issues with ownership in the past, and a struggling team on the ice, but enough with this Flint is trying to tank and the players are trying any less than Sudbury's. Flint has continued to throw the same young players out on the ice each game, as Savard has stated. They haven't gone into the depths of the OJHL for players, they're trying to get their young talented players experience. This implied "Sudbury is classy and Flint isn't because they're trying to win more than Flint" is not only ridiculous, it's wrong.

With that said, I hope your Wolves destroy Barrie and Oshawa. :D

Reactions: Toldyaso

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I personally don't care who tanks not a fan of either team," The Coaches are teachers too" if so and the Kids haven't learned after 66 games why is the coach (Teacher) still there teaching, all's I was saying you have a chance in making a choice who you want if you finish last that's all I was saying.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I guess, but that would be the General Manager's call, unless he is both.
I'd think Ouhlahen is allowed a pretty strong say in who is called up and what not. As far as call ups and stuff go, I'd assume they gave Hunter Holmes plenty of time to make sure he was 100% before returning (he sure has looked good since coming back) but if there was anyone in mgmt looking to pack it in, we'd be seeing Evan Morrison, Eric Uba, more Gretz and Pilon and less Smereck. I'd hope Ouhlahen is sending a positive message to the kids and allowing them the opportunity to pick up some W's with an eye on developing kids and getting them ready for next year. Steven Stamkos didn't go into Sarnia and single handedly win them a Memorial Cup and Quinton Byfield won't do that for Sudbury or Flint. There needs to be a supporting cast that has a winning mentality and some experience too.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I'd think Ouhlahen is allowed a pretty strong say in who is called up and what not. As far as call ups and stuff go, I'd assume they gave Hunter Holmes plenty of time to make sure he was 100% before returning (he sure has looked good since coming back) but if there was anyone in mgmt looking to pack it in, we'd be seeing Evan Morrison, Eric Uba, more Gretz and Pilon and less Smereck. I'd hope Ouhlahen is sending a positive message to the kids and allowing them the opportunity to pick up some W's with an eye on developing kids and getting them ready for next year. Steven Stamkos didn't go into Sarnia and single handedly win them a Memorial Cup and Quinton Byfield won't do that for Sudbury or Flint. There needs to be a supporting cast that has a winning mentality and some experience too.
Couldn't have said it better. They clearly have not been tanking it and it doesn't appear they have any intention to do that. Other teams may have no problem with "getting a look" at lower level players but It doesn't appear Ouhlahan and Branch have that kind of mindset.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I personally don't care who tanks not a fan of either team," The Coaches are teachers too" if so and the Kids haven't learned after 66 games why is the coach (Teacher) still there teaching, all's I was saying you have a chance in making a choice who you want if you finish last that's all I was saying.
You were suggesting both teams hope their teams tank. I am only pointing out a coach doesn't think that way.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Sudbury's existence is pretty much building for next season. 4 years without even a winning season. Flint even did it last season...and Flint plays in a Western Conference that generally has great teams that outclass the East's best. The year before that, the Firebirds had their entire team quit and fired the coach twice in the same season and still managed 8 more points than the Wolves that year. I get that Sudbury has had similar issues with ownership in the past, and a struggling team on the ice, but enough with this Flint is trying to tank and the players are trying any less than Sudbury's. Flint has continued to throw the same young players out on the ice each game, as Savard has stated. They haven't gone into the depths of the OJHL for players, they're trying to get their young talented players experience. This implied "Sudbury is classy and Flint isn't because they're trying to win more than Flint" is not only ridiculous, it's wrong.

With that said, I hope your Wolves destroy Barrie and Oshawa. :D
Where in my post did I suggest Sudbury was classy and Flint wasn’t? Please read what I am stating and try to interput the post as I post it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad