Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
Th person that i feel sorry for and maybe i am wrong because i dont know the kid or what he is like is Hakon Nielsen. To have a dad put you in this spot is terrible.

He was being told by everyone that he was good enough to be a top four D man the first year. From Petr (asst coach) to Terry. Both of them would tell Rolf that (in secret meetings we found out) and in turn Rolf would go crazy because he trusted their opinion. He was starting to believe it too. Reality was he was borderline an OHL player let alone top 4. I mean he was billeting with Petr and he was constantly telling him he was good enough. He was brain washed I guess you could say. For that reason you can feel sorry for him

He lost a lot of support in the locker room when he threw Gruden under the bus in the media scrum a few days after the second firing.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought when he bought the franchise the possibility of a removal was signed by Nilsen as well as every other owner. He also signed a 25 year lease with the Dort.

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
[QUOTE="CJinGrandBlanc

Fans from other OHL teams, help me out here......I know that there are a number of OHL teams who's broadcasters are not employed by the club itself. Some work for a media outlet and not directly with the club.
[/QUOTE]

Sarnia Sting radio announcer Leigh Cunningham works in the Sting front office as Corporate Sales Account Manager. Colour commentator Patrick Desrochers was the goaltending coach for the Sting while doing radio work for them.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
There are similarities between Flint & Saginaw in that off ice stuff made for some difficult recruiting and players wanting out; and, selling for picks only helps two seasons later, at best.
But, I (think) Flint will prove to be competitive much quicker because of the way those picks are being used. Saginaw swung for the fences, a lot. Wilde, Jenkins - worked out, two Pastujovs, nothing for Proner....whereas; Flint returned players and picks in trades, are much more willing to use picks for players now and trade those later for more picks; and most importantly, Flint has assembled an impressive group of 2000 & 2001 born and in prime position to surround those with the best player available in both OHL and import drafts. Flint is on track to be good soon, imo.

I mean to an extent Saginaw/Flint will always be at a disadvantage as far as recruiting goes but the Spirit have done a lot better with that. We've been able to add good free agents (Bollers, Busdeker) as well as get quality American talent (Jenkins, Everett). You don't get FA's or good Americans if guys don't want to play for you. They have other options. This didn't start happening til guys like Jim Devellano and Chris Osgood joined in as part of the ownership group. Flint is going to have to inject some new blood into the ownership too if they truly want make it seem like Flint is a worth while destination.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Both teams will be very good soon, imo. Saginaw looks poised to turn that corner now.

Reactions: OSA

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I mean to an extent Saginaw/Flint will always be at a disadvantage as far as recruiting goes but the Spirit have done a lot better with that. We've been able to add good free agents (Bollers, Busdeker) as well as get quality American talent (Jenkins, Everett). You don't get FA's or good Americans if guys don't want to play for you. They have other options. This didn't start happening til guys like Jim Devellano and Chris Osgood joined in as part of the ownership group. Flint is going to have to inject some new blood into the ownership too if they truly want make it seem like Flint is a worth while destination.
Ehhhh...Pastujov's, Wilde....It's been about even. Flint pulled Gretz and Harris this year who were both supposedly college bound. If Saginaw still has the same scouting staff they've always had, I'll go with Joe Stefan and the Flint/Plymouth scouts resumes over what Saginaw has produced any day.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I do not think Blade Jenkins signing with Saginaw had anything to do with Devallano or Osgood, but instead, more with his playing time, lines, and production with the USDP team in Ann Arbor. Having said that, I will also say he is playing very well right now. I do agree, as do most, Flint Ownership needs new blood and a reboot. I will also say that there is a more positive vibe coming out of Saginaw of late than Flint.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Question for HealthyScratch1...

We're now at a point (and we've gotten there very quickly) where there are only 2 players left on the team (Collins and Nilsen) from the three-ring circus that was the Firebirds' first season. What is it about the goings on of that season that you feel are still affecting this team? What was the treatment that you suggest was being directed at Moore and Caamano that has already improved in Hamilton? Is/was ownership being vindictive towards the remaining players from Season 1 behind the scenes?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
What is it about the goings on of that season that you feel are still affecting this team?
I wrote the issues out on 11/1 and they were deleted for some reason. I was trying to give everyone the heads up. It's no coincidence that their play went south after I posted what was happening. (Let's be clear though, it's not because of my post but because of the trio upstairs.) I don't want to be reprimanded again for posting what is going on

What was the treatment that you suggest was being directed at Moore and Caamano that has already improved in Hamilton?
They weren't singled out for anything. The environment and positive attitude has been way better from the start in Hamilton. "Night and day difference. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got here. I really feel for Connor" - Copied from a text

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Anyone excited for tonight’s game vs Hamilton and the return of Gruden, Bitten, Caamano, and Moore? Me either. A quick check of ticket sales for tonight and tomorrow nights game should make Rolf ashamed of himself and embarrassed.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
Anyone excited for tonight’s game vs Hamilton and the return of Gruden, Bitten, Caamano, and Moore? Me either. A quick check of ticket sales for tonight and tomorrow nights game should make Rolf ashamed of himself and embarrassed.

Speaking of ticket sales, I don't believe that anyone has mentioned this, but an original employee from day one of the Firebirds is no longer with the club, the Director of Community Relations & Marketing. This person was responsible for the coordination of events and promotions along with being the direct contact person with the community. This certainly doesn't help in trying to get "fannies" into the seats at the Dort.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
May have been the best 1st period I've seen from them in awhile. Followed by one of the worst 2nds.

Bout time they got another W.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They finally skated hard and played some D. Well, except for Alexandrov. That should help change the mood in the room. They're more talented than their recent results. Maybe they just need to play CHL ranked teams more often.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
They finally skated hard and played some D. Well, except for Alexandrov. That should help change the mood in the room. They're more talented than their recent results. Maybe they just need to play CHL ranked teams more often.

Savard, I agree with your assessment. But a win is a win. Give them credit for that. They did enough to get the two points. The question as you posed, is why are their last two wins only are against both conference leaders and top ten teams of the whole CHL?

On another note, any of you view tonight's game via OHL Live?......What did you think of the interview that Hennig did with Barclay Branch? Is he just like that with the public? I certainly hope so because I kind of felt as if he was on drugs or something.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Savard, I agree with your assessment. But a win is a win. Give them credit for that. They did enough to get the two points. The question as you posed, is why are their last two wins only are against both division leaders and top ten teams of the whole CHL?

On another note, any of you view tonight's game via OHL Live?......What did you think of the interview that Hennig did with Barclay Branch? Is he just like that with the public? I certainly hope so because I kind of felt as if he was on drugs or something.
No, don't get me wrong. That was a HUGE win. The biggest of the year and one of the biggest in the last 3 years. You know they're messaging Moore, Caamano and Bitten tonight. I just hope the boys realize that no matter what else is going on, they still control their own effort level and their own play. They can play better than they have and still compete with most teams on most nights. I think It'll help to have someone other than Moore and Caamano "acting" as leaders and eating up ice time with barely half efforts. Look at how the young kids performed tonight. I think with Moore and Caamano gone they'll play better than 1-13 or whatever it is. They're a .500 club so far without them. I still think this group can play .250-.350 hockey the rest of the way. They're 6pts away from 9th but only 11pts away from 3rd and they've already done their selling. Other teams haven't even started the sell off. The question is whether or not Ouhlahen can actually get them to repeat tonight's effort or will they fall back into a habit of constant defensive breakdowns. I have my doubts but it's still early and they can still sneak into the dance if they start playing NOW.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Savard, I agree with your assessment. But a win is a win. Give them credit for that. They did enough to get the two points. The question as you posed, is why are their last two wins only are against both conference leaders and top ten teams of the whole CHL?

A live interview with Barclay Branch, wow. I doubt he liked that.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
On another note, any of you view tonight's game via OHL Live?......What did you think of the interview that Hennig did with Barclay Branch? Is he just like that with the public? I certainly hope so because I kind of felt as if he was on drugs or something.[/QUOTE]

he's a strange cat.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
funny how you were his biggest booster. Manager who was M.I.A. most of the time.

‘was’? his biggest booster? I only said that after a dozen years of scout, assistant GM/head scout, GM/head scout/ON U17 head scout; and, probably a glowing reference from out going GM Burnett, Branch earned his current titles on his own merit.
Certainly not because of his out going personality. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->