Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
The Firebirds gave up two 2nd round picks and a conditional 2nd rounder to get him. The condition was that he play his OA year...I wonder if that has to be with the Firebirds, or just for any OHL team...???

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/

Rangers general manager Mike McKenzie started by dealing overage defenceman Doug Blaisdell to the Sudbury Wolves for a conditional fourth round pick in 2020 around noon.
About an hour later he followed that up by acquiring 20-year-old forward Kole Sherwood from the Flint Firebirds for two second round draft picks (2019, 2020), a third (2021) and a fifth (2020).

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Oh, there's gonna be a few people upset. As long as the 20 on the ice don't take it too bad, it'll be ok. I was fine either way. It's an awfully solid return for an OA. So far.....so far....Barclay has been on the concourse with the fans every night and has made some solid moves. Everyone be prepared to possibly see Moore moved at the deadline now.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
....and as 828 alluded to, if you would have asked ANY of us 4 weeks ago, would we be cool with Sherwood being returned and getting 2 2nd's a 3rd and a 4th we'd have all said yes. I think it's only actually gonna be one 2nd after everything works out though. I'm bummed about not getting to watch him this year in a Bird's uni but seeing how Cavallin, Dellandrea, Keppen ect have looked I'm awfully excited to add assets for the near future.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Smereck hasn't played in Tucson's first 2 games...I wonder if he could be sent back and traded

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Smereck hasn't played in Tucson's first 2 games...I wonder if he could be sent back and traded
Actually, with the holes this team has on D, I think they'd try to find a way to keep Smereck.

EDIT-On second thought....he was Wellwood's guy from Oshawa days, and Wellwood is gone....they could use a return similar to the one they got on Sherwood.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Barclay Branch gets very solid grades on this trade. Collela is playing way to good to disrupt his line. We can really use those picks for whatever is ahead.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I wish Branch dealt like that in his time with the Wolves. If Branch stays away from dealing with London you will have a great GM:)

WJ

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
After the Sherwood trade. Picks for Flint:

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Mississauga 3rd
Flint 4-15th

Flint 1st
Kitchner 2nd
Hamilton 2nd
Flint 3rd
Sudbury 3rd
Oshawa 3rd
Niagara 3rd
Missisauga 3rd (goes to London if Mattinen plays 1 game of his OA in Flint)
Flint 5-15th

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Salute Ste. Marie 2nd
Flint 3rd
Hamilton 3rd
Flint 4th
Flint 5th
Kitchener 5th
Oshawa 5th
Flint 7-15th

Flint 1st
Flint 2nd
Niagra 2nd
Kitchener 3rd
Flint 3-15th

Flint 1-15th

Flint 1-15th

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ5

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Quebec Remparts signed Luke Kirwan. What can we expect from him?
Great kid and I wish him the best. Has had a hard time coming back from a couple of injuries from last year. He was in the Red Wings main camp to start last season, and came back from that looking dominant, and was a bull in a china shop every night. Then he got injured a couple of times, and wasn't the same. I was really hoping that he'd stick in Flint this year.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
https://www.lesoleil.com/sports/rem...eu-a-trouver-ffe66b88402f957ac6e0c0c92d05becd

It says there was a conflict in Flint and he decided to leave. He was put on waivers, unclaimed in the OHL and then Quebec signed him.

The only conflict was there was no overage slot available for him. His play in the preseason wasn't good enough to unseat either of the two overage forwards on our roster and the third slot is taken by our starting goalie. I feel for him. He started last season really strong but he had concussions that made him miss half the games last year. He wasn't the same after he came back. Didn't look that good in camp either.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
https://www.lesoleil.com/sports/rem...eu-a-trouver-ffe66b88402f957ac6e0c0c92d05becd

It says there was a conflict in Flint and he decided to leave. He was put on waivers, unclaimed in the OHL and then Quebec signed him.

ENGLISH Translation from Le Soleil (Merci Carl Tardif) ......

Kirwan Welcomed
In his first game in the QMJHL, newcomer Luke Kirwan did not have to wait for his baptism since he was part of the trio leaving with Matthew Boucher and Louis-Filip Côté. He arrived in Quebec at 3:00 am last night.

"I was well received and I felt comfortable fairly quickly. I already know some of the players, like Matt and Picco, since we have the same agent. The last few hours have been emotional, and I want to take advantage of this opportunity to play in Quebec City, a city I have loved since my participation in the pee-wee tournament. "Kirwan left his Ontario team following a dispute." He had gone home to think about what would happen next with the Remparts.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
There was simply no room for Luke in Flint and not sure he will ever overcome the multiple concussions he has sustained, but I hope he does.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Looking ahead a little bit, the Canada-Russia series games are Thursday Nov 9 in Owen Sound and Monday Nov 13 in Sudbury. Flint plays London on Friday and the Soo on Saturday. I'm thinking any players that play in both games will miss that weekend but guys playing in just one stand a good chance of showing up. London players who could be MIA are Evan Bouchard, Alex Formenton, Cliff Pu all playing both nights and Robert Thomas playing only on Thursday in OS. Connor Timmins and Boris Katchouk playing both nights for the Soo with Morgan Frost and Matthew Villalta playing Monday only. So our opponents that weekend should be short some star talent as will many other teams.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Busby tonight?.....Nice to see Ty Dellandrea #6, Dennis Busby #13 and Hunter Holmes #20 on Brock Otten's list of top 50 OHL'ers for the OHL draft. Seeing as how Keppen and Cavallin have been selected to play for Canada in the U17 tournament, what does Flint do for a back-up net minder during that timeframe?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Busby tonight?.....Nice to see Ty Dellandrea #6, Dennis Busby #13 and Hunter Holmes #20 on Brock Otten's list of top 50 OHL'ers for the OHL draft. Seeing as how Keppen and Cavallin have been selected to play for Canada in the U17 tournament, what does Flint do for a back-up net minder during that timeframe?

Collins? ;)

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
BIG win against a GOOD team. I think that's the most psyched I've been leaving the arena in a long time with Gretz picking up his first OHL goal and getting named 1st star on pink night with his Mom in the house. Couldn't be happier for the kid. Looked like Forrest and the boys had something to say about all the talk of Dylan Wells being the best goalie in the OHL. Not tonight, and it's Michael DiPietro anyway. CJ Clarke looked like he's about ready to start contributing which will help a lot. He was going off in camp and preseason, I'm really surprised he's had such a slow start. Nilsen looks like he's returning to his form of late last season which is good and Alexandrov actually made some plays too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->