Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
No Sherwood tonight?

How'd they look? In Minnesota for football this weekend.
Nope, no Sherwood. Holmes had a really slick pass to Dellandrea for a PP goal. Holmes kinda quietly having a great start to the season.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
The roster page on the Firebirds' website continues to be interesting...Keppen now again showing as number 92, and Sherwood as no number, or number "0".

http://flintfirebirds.com/roster/13/60

Also noticed that Collins has been moved from the "Forwards" section to the "Defensemen" section.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Sherwood said he wasn't sure if he'd be playing today either. Colella has been great since they day he arrived in Flint and nobody would want to see him go but he loses that battle with Kole. Add in the fact they're stacked with left wingers and Colella should sit for Kole more often than not. Holmes is having a REALLY strong start to the season. I expected him to improve and be a really solid two way center but he's showing some impressive offensive skills. He wants to make sure he gets drafted this year.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Sherwood said he wasn't sure if he'd be playing today either. Colella has been great since they day he arrived in Flint and nobody would want to see him go but he loses that battle with Kole. Add in the fact they're stacked with left wingers and Colella should sit for Kole more often than not. Holmes is having a REALLY strong start to the season. I expected him to improve and be a really solid two way center but he's showing some impressive offensive skills. He wants to make sure he gets drafted this year.

Would not shock me if they traded Sherwood.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well.....I got a little propaganda in my ear last night from another fan about going for this year. I'm not saying I agree but there are some valid points. They have a few picks to work with to upgrade that D and add some scoring depth. When are they going to have goaltending and a two top end talents like Moore and Sherwood? Maybe soon but it's not guaranteed. The West and basically all the OHL is a bit weak this year. There will be a lot of sellers in the West and prices might get cheap. London looks like they're gonna struggle and how often is that gonna happen? I'm not saying I fully agree with that just yet but I think they should go into a hold pattern for just a little bit before deciding the team's direction this year. Possibly go for it and set up Flint's cycle to not coincide with Windsor, London, Erie. I might feel a bit different about that in a few hours. Kitchener WITH Logan Stanley will be a very good test today.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I agree with everything you said except "...we have a few picks to work with". If we are in the thick of things in a few months in the very competitive West Division, then maybe. We have traded away so many top picks, I would be very very careful with what we have left.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I agree with everything you said except "...we have a few picks to work with". If we are in the thick of things in a few months in the very competitive West Division, then maybe. We have traded away so many top picks, I would be very very careful with what we have left.
I see what he's saying...if you're in "run the cupboard dry" go-for-it mode, then yes we do have a few picks to work with. Emphasis on "running the cupboard dry", though.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, we found out it does appear they can at least hang with the Rangers who look like they're a top 4 team right now. Tied up with less than 8 minutes to go. A few of the boys just looked and played tired today. It's not like Kitchener didn't play last night too. Once again Cavallin looked pretty good, it was more the team in front of him having the letdown. Colella now has 6g and 6a. He's trying real hard to keep his spot or at least show he has trade value.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
GM Barclay stands right behind our seats he confirmed that Sherwood has a high ankle sprain and also didnt play much while he was up. Would be nice if they would put this stuff in our game notes would prevent some of the rumors that start.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
GM Barclay stands right behind our seats he confirmed that Sherwood has a high ankle sprain and also didnt play much while he was up. Would be nice if they would put this stuff in our game notes would prevent some of the rumors that start.
Sure seemed like he was walking around on the concourse without any problems.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Was at the Flint game Sunday. What a great time it was. Firebirds didn't bring their A game for sure, but the sight lines in the arena are terrific, the fans are engaged and friendly. It's nice to see them have a team that could make some noise.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Was at the Flint game Sunday. What a great time it was. Firebirds didn't bring their A game for sure, but the sight lines in the arena are terrific, the fans are engaged and friendly. It's nice to see them have a team that could make some noise.
We were also thinking of attending both Michigan games but came down with a bad cold!

Another compliment about Flint, I think they may have the best camera work and HD in the entire OHL!!!

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
We were also thinking of attending both Michigan games but came down with a bad cold!

Another compliment about Flint, I think they may have the best camera work and HD in the entire OHL!!!

Really? I never knew. As a season ticket holder I have never had a reason to stream a home game. I have the away package from OHL Live and I know it can be pretty hit and miss in some arenas. Almost unwatchable. Glad to hear they are doing it right at home. Sorry you didn't make it. Your team looks really good this year.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Kole Sherwood traded to the Kitchener Rangers

Well the fellow with the seats next to mine is going to be pissed with me. He's been all amped up to see Sherwood on the ice for us and I've been yanking his chain at every opportunity telling him he was going to be traded. I guess should bring a bodyguard with me this weekend ;). Makes sense though he has trade value. There was no way to keep him around without sitting a player that deserves to play. Hopefully they got a pile of picks for him.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Really interested to see what's coming back our way.
"In the trade, the Firebirds acquire four draft picks consisting of Kitchener’s second-round pick in the 2019 OHL Draft, Sault Ste. Marie’s second-round pick in the 2020 OHL Draft, Kitchener’s fifth-round pick in the 2020 OHL Draft and Kitchener’s third-round pick in the 2021 OHL Draft. In exchange, the Rangers will receive overage right-winger Kole Sherwood."

Not a bad haul for a player that the Firebirds didn't count on having beyond last year anyway.

Reactions: MJ5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->