Flex Cap - Go Coyotes solution with a new title and some modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Finally the right name for the right solution - FLEX CAP

Gary Bettman needs a Cap to save his job. Bob Goodenow doesn't want a rigid cap or a cap that encourages player turnover or a rigid salary structure or his job will be lost.

Fans want to cheer for their favourite players without fear of losing them each year ala the NFL so the only solution that will work is the FLEX CAP SYSTEM!

32 million flex cap with % discounts for players that remain with a team for 3 years or longer up to a maximum discount of 75% of cap. I.E. Sundin earns app. 10 million but only 75% of his salary (app. 7.5 million) would count towards the cap the same amount as say Steve Yzerman with 20 years played for the same team and similar salary.

The cap is not rigid but allows for some flexibility and a reward system for players, management and fans.

Players would work harder every night if they new their future ability to stick with a team and make more money was at stake.

Fans would continue to enjoy their favourite players as teams would be advantaged and rewarded for good drafting and development of players.

Management would take a huge step toward almost cost certainty and Bob Goodenow would lose 2 of his 3 arguements for being agaisnt a cap system.

Hopefully, free agency would be reduced. Free agency IMO was the worst thing to ever happen from a fans perspective in pro sports.

WIN WIN system so let's get on with it already. :yo: :yo:

Feb 12, 2003
eye said:
32 million flex cap with % discounts for players that remain with a team for 3 years or longer up to a maximum discount of 75% of cap. I.E. Sundin earns app. 10 million but only 75% of his salary (app. 7.5 million) would count towards the cap the same amount as say Steve Yzerman with 20 years played for the same team and similar salary.

I assume you mean the reverse actually, that Sundin's salary of $10 million would receive a 75% discount, and only $2.5 million would count towards the cap.

Call it whatever you like, Flex Cap, I call it a Homegrown Cap.

I'm personally not crazy about the percentages though. Not the exact percentages, but in general I like a more simple proposal I originally sought out. $32 million cap, players who play their first NHL game with that team are exempt from that cap, as are players who have played a number of years with the same team, a franchise player exemption.

I don't see the value much in saying that if you have had one guy for 4 years and another guy for 5 years that the guy you've had 5 years deserves a cut in the cap more than the guy who you have had 4 years. I personally would suggest an 8 year franchise player exemption.

To each their own, if they took your idea instead of mine I would not be upset by it.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Stich said:
It's called a soft cap.

I beg to differ. Flex cap is more appropriate as the total amount of money each team can spend is still pre-determined by controlable factors while a soft cap can be broken and is subject to being penalized usually in the form of a luxury tax which just doesn't work. At least not the way most hockey fans would want and more specifically Gary Bettman wouldn't want because it wouldn't bring the 30 team NHL any closer to playing on a level playing field.

Go Coyotes - I agree, these ideas we have shared only provide the basis or framework for an agreement. Once lawyers and execs get their hands on it they will insure that nobody but another overpriced lawyer can understand anyway! :banana: :banana:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad