Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Levitate said:
why don't you go back and read what i was replying too...someone posted that fleury "dominated" in the NHL as a response to someone else saying lehtonen dominated in the finnish league.

my post was addressing that claim
Actually, in the month of October, he was probably a top 5 goalie in the NHL based on play for that month alone IMO. Of course it didn't last, but it was pretty impressive (Not that it takes anything away from Lehtonen's play, which is also very impressive).

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Anyone who saw Lehtonen in the AHL playoffs would not dispute he is better RIGHT NOW than Fleury.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Moskau said:
Anyone who saw Lehtonen in the AHL playoffs would not dispute he is better RIGHT NOW than Fleury.

Lehtonen = older then fleury and played inferior competiton that is not a very good comparison at all.

Fleury was amazing when he started off the year with the Pens....he kept them in a boatload of games they should have lost by 8 goals. He finally wore down not due to letting goals in or positioning he finally wore down due to facing 45 shots a night and having just about NO defence on the team.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Lehtonen = older then fleury and played inferior competiton that is not a very good comparison at all.

Fleury was amazing when he started off the year with the Pens....he kept them in a boatload of games they should have lost by 8 goals. He finally wore down not due to letting goals in or positioning he finally wore down due to facing 45 shots a night and having just about NO defence on the team.
AHL >>> CHL

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
As a Penguins fan, you can not argue that Lehtonen "far behind" or "worse" than Fleury. I saw him in several games here, and was very impressed. Lehtonen and Fleury in their first 4 games were probably equal. The disadvantage in this debate is that Lehtonen only played 4 games, yet DOMINATED all 4 and WON all 4. Fleury played on a pretty ****** Pens team and fared well, but to say his is worlds better than Lehtonen is absurd. If anything, they are equal or Lehtonen is slightly ahead of Fleury at this point in time.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
While we're on the subject. Do you Pens fans think sending Fleury back to the Q was a good thing or would you have liked to see him learn the ropes in the NHL a bit longer? Money aside.

infinitesadd

May 15, 2004
Pittsburgh
JasonMacIsaac said:
I dunno....I found he fought the puck alot more when scored on. Maybe he thinks he should save everything and puts extra pressure on himself.

I agree with this. I think he has the mentality and confidence in himself that he thinks he should stop everything, regardless of how helpless he really might have been on a goal. He was helpless alot with the D that was in front of him. I think he bounces back fine the next game, but I agree that in game it gets to him a bit.

In response to the post above this, sending him back down was a good thing. He was just getting shelled with the Pens D. He came back from the world juniors at what turned out to be that 18 game streak of absolutely horrible hockey. So, sending him back to the Q was a good move so he didn't lose his confidence, which is immense, but the Pens were just horrible during that span. That losing streak would have broken any goalie, let alone an 18 year old.

GoPenguins

Mar 29, 2003
Albany, NY
Visit site
The Pens were horrendous for 4/5 of last season, and sending Fleury back was definitely a good move. He was literally standing in front of a shooting gallery night after night as the Pens defense (And I use the term loosely) tried to keep opponents at bay.

I think it was good to blood him, but wish we had had the luxury of blooding him the way Atlanta did with Lehtonen, which was to bring him up for a few meaningless games after the Thrashers were eliminated from the playoffs.

Lehtonen at the moment is ahead of Fleury but I feel they both have the same upside. I do feel though that Fleury is carrying all the pressure and burden of being a top pick and highly touted goalie. Lehtonen's situation has been entirely opposite, I feel.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Moskau said:
While we're on the subject. Do you Pens fans think sending Fleury back to the Q was a good thing or would you have liked to see him learn the ropes in the NHL a bit longer? Money aside.

Personally, I believe he should have finished out the season with the Penguins and thats it. No Q, WJC, Calder Cup Playoffs, etc. Too much hockey for an 18 yr goalie.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Moskau said:

I think that sending him back to CB was definitely a good thing. He would have gained absolutely nothing by staying in the NHL and continuing to get killed behind the Penguin's pathetic blueline.

If the Penguins defense is not much improved next season, then I do not want to see him playing in the NHL.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Til the End of Time said:
I think that sending him back to CB was definitely a good thing. He would have gained absolutely nothing by staying in the NHL and continuing to get killed behind the Penguin's pathetic blueline.

If the Penguins defense is not much improved next season, then I do not want to see him playing in the NHL.

I agree with that. WBS should be a decent team next year, if the Pens can't support him, give him some time in the A. Another year of shooting galleries could ruin or at least delay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad