Fleury lives the hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Doghouse said:
First preseason game against the Isles, he saved 32 of 32 shots. faced a 14-shot first period onslaught and the game was scoreless. Very impressive.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

I thought it was 22 of 23 shots?

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Doghouse said:
First preseason game against the Isles, he saved 32 of 32 shots. faced a 14-shot first period onslaught and the game was scoreless. Very impressive.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:
as spence already pointed out it was 22 of 23 and NYI won 1-0.

JasonMacIsaac

Plekanec said:
As I always said, Fleury is the #1 prospect in the world over Ruutu, Spezza, Pitkanen and Lehtonen!

This is a pure talent, already technically perfect with great anticipation!
He has alot of flaws still, he isn't good puck handling and he can be caught cheating alot short side. He needs to get bigger and stronger also. He is fairly weak blocker side, which is usually shot side.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
and that's of course why he stunk on his first pro game, because all these pros couldn't detect all his flaws...
:rolleyes:

Oh wait he had a 1.00 GAA....?

JasonMacIsaac

OH wait he had a 3.36 GAA last year, If you are trying to state you know more about his game then me you should just quit HF, I have season tickets to the Eagles....where he played the last two years.

GoRyanMalone

JasonMacIsaac said:
OH wait he had a 3.36 GAA last year, If you are trying to state you know more about his game then me you should just quit HF, I have season tickets to the Eagles....where he played the last two years.

Good post. So, you don't want him back? he's that bad? I should say, this is not the scouting report(s) I'd heard...

JasonMacIsaac

brazor said:
Good post. So, you don't want him back? he's that bad? I should say, this is not the scouting report(s) I'd heard...
I want him back, he is a great goaltender just Pittsburgh fans are over hyping him and turing him into an overated prospect. They think is invincible which is untrue. Remember this....I was the first poster on this site to start hyping Fleuy, about a year and a half ago I was posting threads on him, last year at the start of the year I was saying he would move way up in the rankings into top 3 (at the time he was ranked around 10th) I know his strengths and his weaknesses and his strengths over weigh his weaknesses.

ping

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
Evilo said:
and that's of course why he stunk on his first pro game, because all these pros couldn't detect all his flaws...
:rolleyes:

Oh wait he had a 1.00 GAA....?

That is an ignorant statement. It's the pre-season. He's playing against maybe 10 NHL regulars at the most who aren't trying their hardest and he lets in 1 goal. Just because of that doesn't mean he has no flaws.
I agree with that JasonMacIsaac guy. He's a great talent but he's not perfect right now. He still has to hone his skills a little.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Plekanec said:
As I always said, Fleury is the #1 prospect in the world over Ruutu, Spezza, Pitkanen and Lehtonen!

This is a pure talent, already technically perfect with great anticipation!

Yes of course he is the #1 prospect, he stopped 22 shots and lost a preseason game. That crap Lehtonen won some silly final series and was elected twice to be the best goaltender in his league...

Naturally Fleury is the top goalie prospect...no question about it.

EDIT: I think the blackhawks fans who saw Ruutu play his first exhibition game last night would also have a thing to say about the order of these prospects.

JasonMacIsaac

In terms of skill I have Lehtonen ahead of Fleury, If Lehtonen cathces on to the rink size fairly quick I think he could lead Atlanta to the playoffs this year or next, whenever he gets the chance.

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
He has alot of flaws still, he isn't good puck handling and he can be caught cheating alot short side. He needs to get bigger and stronger also. He is fairly weak blocker side, which is usually shot side.

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
JasonMacIsaac said:
In terms of skill I have Lehtonen ahead of Fleury, If Lehtonen cathces on to the rink size fairly quick I think he could lead Atlanta to the playoffs this year or next, whenever he gets the chance.

Jason, too often we have to many hypes about a prospect or a young player. The young Theodore had a fantastic marvelous second half-season in 2001-2002 and most of Montreal fans already compared him to Roy. We have to keep feet grounded.

Anyway, you talked about Fleury and Lehtonen. Where is DiPietro in your evaluation?

ps: I spent 10 great days last December in Sydney during the World Junior.

JasonMacIsaac

I didn't see dipietro much but when I seen him vs NJ he looked lost, trying to handle the puck better then Brodeur. I use a ucsu site for most my goaltending prospect views. I see him with great agility in the net, nice glove and good puck handling skills. I just go by others opinions on him.

http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~norrisdt/bio/dipietro.html

Robert Paulson*

MrKnowNothing said:
DiPietro was very good in the last half of the Pens game on Friday.

Yeah he was, he robbed us quite a few times.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I doubt it's the Pens fans that are making Fleury overrated...it's probably the fact that he went first overall and is touted as being the best goalie to come out of the draft in 10 years...

Fleury will be amazing, but I hardly expect big things from him this year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
JasonMacIsaac said:
Actually, I've never hyped Fleury.
I've always said for instance that Lehtonen is a superior prospect as of now.
But when we are amazed by his first pro game and you come here with a post stating about a hundred flaws, you're the one looking ridiculous.
I've never said he was perfect, of course at 18 he has a lot to work on. But hey, he had a great game, recognize that without feeling obliged to throw flaw after flaw.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Folks need to just take things day by day. The same people that are proclaiming him the next great goalie will probably be the ones that call him a bust if he falls flat on his face should he make the NHL team. There's no question this kid has talent, but 22 saves in a preseason game isn't what I'd call "living the hype".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad